Pro tip: Read the comments before commenting on a workout

Options

Replies

• laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here's a true story: I don't care what your intentions were, if you got off the couch that day, it's a great workout.

Just because you want to beat yourself up that your 20-mile run was cut short or you could only do 10 reps instead of 15, I'm not doing it.

Any time you move, you are doing more than everyone who is sitting there and reading it. Stop beating yourself up about it. Just work harder the next day if you feel like you missed your goal.

I had to walk more than I wanted to last night when I did my run, but thank God my friends all said "You go, girl!" and "Look at you!" instead of "Crappy workout; try harder next time."

Or worse yet, not replied at all. Because none of us can do this without the love and support of our friends. I think the Beatles had a song about that once.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    idk, people are busy and trying to get through their friend list, i dont really do my workouts or make my food choices for my friends and whether they like it or not, doesnt change my workout/eating the next day.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Here's a true story: I don't care what your intentions were, if you got off the couch that day, it's a great workout.

Just because you want to beat yourself up that your 20-mile run was cut short or you could only do 10 reps instead of 15, I'm not doing it.

Any time you move, you are doing more than everyone who is sitting there and reading it. Stop beating yourself up about it. Just work harder the next day if you feel like you missed your goal.

I had to walk more than I wanted to last night when I did my run, but thank God my friends all said "You go, girl!" and "Look at you!" instead of "Crappy workout; try harder next time."

Or worse yet, not replied at all. Because none of us can do this without the love and support of our friends. I think the Beatles had a song about that once.

Maybe I'm just being a jerk, but.... for me, this is an example of coddling/patronizing. I had a friend here who would post that she burned 1200 calories pushing a stroller/having sex/making out/cleaning the dishes... I refuse to like that, but she'd get 20 likes and "nice burns!!"... then, she'd say "why am I not losing weight???" Um because you are eating back calories that you DIDN'T burn?

eh, whatever agree to disagree, when in rome, this really isn't the point of the thread so I'ma quit harpin.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    tl;dr but I'll assume this was a great post! Awesome job!

DAMMIT!

:angry:

I clicked through to this thread to make a post like this...

...and it's the very first reply.

:grumble:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm just being a jerk, but.... for me, this is an example of coddling/patronizing. I had a friend here who would post that she burned 1200 calories pushing a stroller/having sex/making out/cleaning the dishes... I refuse to like that, but she'd get 20 likes and "nice burns!!"... then, she'd say "why am I not losing weight???" Um because you are eating back calories that you DIDN'T burn?

eh, whatever agree to disagree, when in rome, this really isn't the point of the thread so I'ma quit harpin.

Was she pushing the stroller on a treadmill while sitting on a chair behind it? Because if not I fail to comprehend how there was not a calorie burn during said pushing stroller (walking)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I personally love the "great burn" on the one calorie TDEE workouts. I agree that people need to pay more attention. It lacks sincerity when you post the same comment on each post. Let the hating continue, I've got your back Dave!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg

mesmerising....

Seriously. I think I could watch this all day.

me too. I keep coming back to it.

This is absolutely the best thing to come out of this thread!

(wiping tears from eyes as I keep laughing and coming back to this)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

lollllll
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So, basically what you are saying is that some people appreciate individualised comments rather than generic comments as they seem more thoughtful?

You fiend you!!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    In...for a pro tip

I'll give you a pro tip

Can I have a bro tip...I mean pro tip?
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree with people should read and THEN comment. So many times I log my workout, then I will comment with more details. As some people are trying to follow my workouts. Everyday there is someone who comments "awesome workout, what did you do"..... I use to go back and comment to such people. Now I have figured out that if they don't read the first post, they won't come back and read the last post either......

But it's also true about when someone has a weight loss. People comment without reading that maybe someone really struggled, etc.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If someone on my list burns 800 calories, I am going to comment on them having a great burn. That's like 17 oreos.

I foresee you posting a topic about burning 1000 cals and still gaining weight... 800 calories is like 12 Oreo cookies dude!!!

Just googled - 15.

Im closer BUT according to Price is Right rules, it is closest WITHOUT going over, so you win this round...

We will fight again on the next post to settle the score?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Was she pushing the stroller on a treadmill while sitting on a chair behind it? Because if not I fail to comprehend how there was not a calorie burn during said pushing stroller (walking)

I'm sure she burned calories, just not 1200 in 60 minutes of activity (which included sex and making out, please remember this).. I burn 300 in 30 minutes doing HIIT, and that's based on my HR, not what MFP tells me. But I do TDEE -20%, and think everyone should to be accurate, so what do I know.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Dave!

Same thing for the food diary... Don't say: "Great day!" when I ate a full bag of chips for dinner and I am 1500 calories in the red!

(PS: I delete people who makes that kind of comments!)
    You haven't deleted me yet. :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If someone on my list burns 800 calories, I am going to comment on them having a great burn. That's like 17 oreos.

I foresee you posting a topic about burning 1000 cals and still gaining weight... 800 calories is like 12 Oreo cookies dude!!!
    Did someone say oreo's?
    It is fair season and just got my tickets to see Toby Keith play there......and you know they also have?

Deep Fried Oreo's.

Yes.

They are THAT good.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Just because someone had a goal for their without and didn't reach it doesn't make it a bad workout.

True, but it sucks when someone doesn't properly read what you've written. I once wrote something on Facebook about throwing a pity party and one of my friends accused me of throwing a Halloween party and not inviting her. Um, OK.

How was your party?

I hope you had a great time.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg

mesmerising....

Yep
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Hey folks, just a tip from a fellow fitness buff. If you really want to be supportive of your friends, make sure you read the comments on their workouts before you write "great workout!" Just because someone burned 800 calories doesn't make it great.

Typically folks will log their exercise, then comment to let folks know how it went. Some examples:

* "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
    * "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"
    * "I strained my hamstring doing squats" is not an "awesome session!"

In these cases, a more appropriate comment would be something like "hope you feel better soon" or "you'll kill it next time!"

+ 1

A small note - body fitness gurus / strength training and ballet dancers on MFP may or may not be able to understand this post and may cause the confusion with cat gifs.

This post is more for Runners and Endurance folks.

What if I have to pause my Jillian Michaels DVDs a bunch of times?

Depends.

Will you be providing minute-by-minute updates in the forums?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    In that case jus' ignore... And I'm out of here. Gotta drink coffee.

Great job!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I'm sure she burned calories, just not 1200 in 60 minutes of activity (which included sex and making out, please remember this).. I burn 300 in 30 minutes doing HIIT, and that's based on my HR, not what MFP tells me. But I do TDEE -20%, and think everyone should to be accurate, so what do I know.
    \
    or how about the lady who complained that MFP didnt have it listed how many calories vacuuming her apartment burned...
    One dude thought he burned 900 playing 2 games of slow pitch softbal.......yeah right!