I refuse to take fitness advice...

Options

Replies

• pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When you get advice from someone- consider the source. If they don't look healthy they have no place giving fitness advice.
    I raise a hearty middle finger to you, sir. Solid first post.
    There are plenty of overweight and out of shape people who know a heck of a lot about fitness and nutrition. Why do you assume they were always so? They could have degrees in nutrition or kinesiology for all you know. But hey, way to assume that fat people are not also fat, but ignorant too.

I guess if your cardiologist has hypertension, that makes their knowledge null and void.

:drinker:
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You read an awful lot into my post that wasn't there. If you CHOOSE to be offended by what I said, that's your choice. I was merely saying that there are a lot of people that spout fitness advice without knowing a damn thing about it. My guess is, you're one of those touting the "latest and greatest" fitness craze and my comment hit a nerve.

If so, touche'.

Not sure who this is directed to. Maybe every one who got the same thing out of that first bit of love? :-) Have a flower, OP. You seem unhappy.:flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You read an awful lot into my post that wasn't there. If you CHOOSE to be offended by what I said, that's your choice. I was merely saying that there are a lot of people that spout fitness advice without knowing a damn thing about it. My guess is, you're one of those touting the "latest and greatest" fitness craze and my comment hit a nerve.

If so, touche'.

Your comment was "I refuse to take fitness advice from someone more out of shape than me". So basically someone more out of shape than you couldn't possibly know more about fitness/nutrition than you.....That's what you said....Nobody had to read anything into it.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You understand my point precisely.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    elliott-hulse-dance-o.gif

:laugh:
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Would you want to learn how to swim from someone that was drowning?
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I pretty much refuse to take fitness advice I don't want and for which I didn't ask. That's just the end of it. People may give it, and I will politely say thank you, or nod and smile, but you get to decide what you take. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You might want to check out the quote function below each message. It's going to make your topics a lot easier to follow.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

If so, touche'.

Your comment was "I refuse to take fitness advice from someone more out of shape than me". So basically someone more out of shape than you couldn't possibly know more about fitness/nutrition than you.....That's what you said....Nobody had to read anything into it.

Agree^^^^^

If you came here saying ...I am hear for fitness, please don't try to shove any of your fad, get fit quick **** down my throat. Most here would have given you a standing ovation but that is NOT what the post was about, the way most here read it.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options

In theory, couldn't you learn from them many ways NOT to swim, thus giving you some insight on how to do it properly? Just working on the positive reframe over here. I just finished my run and my endorphins must still be making me pleasant.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So if fitness is all established, proven facts wouldn't everyone have access to those same facts regardless of their fitness level? So only the people that YOU deem fit can talk about fitness? To me, that doesn't sound at all to be anything about FACTS. Even if there are only FACTS, not different theories, opinions, experiences, etc anyone and everyone are free to talk about anything they choose. If you don't like it don't post online in public forums.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that judging someone's knowledge or expertise from their appearance alone is fallacious.

I wouldn't discount anyone of any size if they presented a well thought out, well sourced and evidence backed argument.

I also learned my lesson about listening to people just because they were in great shape.

Yup. Someone brings up an argument backed up with peer reviewed research? Well, I'm going to have to take a look at their appearance before I can decide whether to take their advice or not.

It's silly and shallow, but not a surprising point of view in this forum.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Fran Crippen drowned and he was a professional long distance swimmer that won a number of international medals. Just saying...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Awful analogy. Define fitness or out of shape....

Zydrunas Savickas - Google it.

zydrunassavickas16.jpg
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

You might want to check out the quote function below each message. It's going to make your topics a lot easier to follow.

QFT yo.

ETA: Then again, who really cares to follow OP's topics at this point...
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    popcorn, get your popcorn :drinker:
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    popcorn, get your popcorn :drinker:

^^ at first glance I was wondering why the heck Mark Walburg would be on MFP lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    the quote button, a purpose, it has.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Strong first post...?

+ 1
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    Options