Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    0myU2xY.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Forgive a confused Englishman, but in what sense is basketball considered a strength sport?

To be fair, strength gives a player a tremendous advantage on the basketball court. For me it meant I always dominated the boards because I'd always have position, I could take a tremendous amount of punishment in the paint and still control the ball to get my shot up, and I could defend much taller players by not letting them get position. Strength makes a huge difference in the half court game.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I'm not even saying "real world application"- because neither of the things you are comparing includes opening a stuck jar of pickles.

But if you train for playing basketball- you're going to be better at it than someone who doesn't.

How good of a dancer are you? I bet you lift more than I do but I can out dance you- why because I spend 10-15 hours a week training for it.

It's like apples to sheetrock.

Have some coffee and go pick up a hobby and stop trying to make yourself feel better.

The OP does not lift more than you do. But I have no idea how your dancing skill compares to his so I'll take your word on that one
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I know this guy who is absolutely mind-blowing in the lab, his knowledge of quantum physics is incredible, but he can't change a clutch in a Datsun. What use is all that science learning, if you can't change the clutch in a Datsun??

Why would you want to change a clutch in a Datsun
    cute-dachshund-dog-grass-Favim.com-113324.jpg
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Did you both whip it out and measure each other, too?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Forgive a confused Englishman, but in what sense is basketball considered a strength sport?

To be fair, strength gives a player a tremendous advantage on the basketball court. For me it meant I always dominated the boards because I'd always have position, I could take a tremendous amount of punishment in the paint and still control the ball to get my shot up, and I could defend much taller players by not letting them get position. Strength makes a huge difference in the half court game.

In a sense a stronger athlete is a better athlete in almost any arena. But there are limits beyond which training for extra strength does little to improve your performance and actually detracts from the sports-specific stuff you need to get done to get on ahead.

But I appreciate what you're saying. (apart from the fact that terms like "in the paint" mean virtually nothing to me...)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As others have said basketball =/= real world.

It's called vanity IMO! Also for bragging rights. "I can lift 1000lbs - can you?!"
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This guy may not have any clue about positioning when it comes to basketball. So that minimizes his strength. A lot of people know little about post defense. That part aside, basketball has nothing to do with other real work applications. You sound like you are jealous in the weight room and just needed a reason to feel better than this guy.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

So what good is it to be so strong in the weight room if it doesn't translate over to anything else?

I'm thinking a game of tackle football may end a little bit differently. But your point is well taken. I would rather have a balance of strength and function
  • DavPul
    Options
    The OP is ELITE on his basketball court!

For the record, I play basketball a lot more often than I move furniture.

So what percentage of people who lift can win 5 games of HORSE?

All I know is that I NEVER win at horse. It's a rare day when I win at 21. I'm terrible
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not even saying "real world application"- because neither of the things you are comparing includes opening a stuck jar of pickles.

But if you train for playing basketball- you're going to be better at it than someone who doesn't.

How good of a dancer are you? I bet you lift more than I do but I can out dance you- why because I spend 10-15 hours a week training for it.

It's like apples to sheetrock.

Have some coffee and go pick up a hobby and stop trying to make yourself feel better.

The OP does not lift more than you do. But I have no idea how your dancing skill compares to his so I'll take your word on that one

maybe I'm uber elite and I can out lift AND out dance him.? I should start a thread about it!!!

Although I'm horribly white- and I here that's some sort of underground prerequisite for being even kind of good at playing ball. So he is probably still better at basketball than me.

shame shame.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This guy may not have any clue about positioning when it comes to basketball. So that minimizes his strength. A lot of people know little about post defense.

This. Absolute strength is a glass. Everything else is what goes inside the glass. The stronger you are, the more you can do and the better you can be at it. But the knowledge of HOW to do it and the commitment to doing it well still have to be there.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Did you both whip it out and measure each other, too?
    aC1qrDN.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know this guy who is absolutely mind-blowing in the lab, his knowledge of quantum physics is incredible, but he can't change a clutch in a Datsun. What use is all that science learning, if you can't change the clutch in a Datsun??

Why would you want to change a clutch in a Datsun
    cute-dachshund-dog-grass-Favim.com-113324.jpg

I'm quite fond of a clutch of Dachshunds..dachshundlitter.jpg

But sometimes you need a clutch of Datsuns...

Picture-8.jpg
  • esanford2
    esanford2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Being a former college basketball player, I find that lifting heavy weight can be both helpfull and a hinderance to basketball players. Lifting heavy weight can strenthen a players core, which would allow them to have better balance on their shots, absorb contact in the paint on offense and help with positioning for rebounds. Heavy weight lifting could hurt a player by causing a player to lose his touch because he/she is now stronger than before (perfect examples: Shaq, Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace. All benched well over 300 lbs and were horrible free thow shooters no matter how much they spent on fancy shooting coachers). Also, if a person is lifting seriously heavy weight their muscles will cause then to be more stiff and therefore not be as agile as before.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This guy may not have any clue about positioning when it comes to basketball. So that minimizes his strength. A lot of people know little about post defense.

This. Absolute strength is a glass. Everything else is what goes inside the glass. The stronger you are, the more you can do and the better you can be at it. But the knowledge of HOW to do it and the commitment to doing it well still have to be there.

Well said, as always.
  • DavPul
    Options

In a sense a stronger athlete is a better athlete in almost any arena. But there are limits beyond which training for extra strength does little to improve your performance and actually detracts from the sports-specific stuff you need to get done to get on ahead.

But I appreciate what you're saying. (apart from the fact that terms like "in the paint" mean virtually nothing to me...)

I knew they wouldn't. I used those terms just for that purpose. :laugh:

To me, the OP is confusing laying on a bench and pushing a loaded barbell away from him as actual functional strength. Let him play against a wrestler and he'll find out what being strong in athletics really means. An Olympic lifter would show him something too.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Working hard in the gym can be applicable to other areas of life ie. general work ethic, mental strength, consistency, desire etc from a mental perspective...

From a physical standpointsome movements won't carry over, some will.

The carry over is dependent upon the individual.
  • esanford2
    esanford2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You were probably playing against one of those big bulky guys who doesn't work on his legs. It's very easy to box out someone who is very top heavy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    If this were applied to school and learning, kids could say the same thing.:embarassed: I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's going to be applicable to anything, just knowing/being able to do something is something.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition