Strong in weight room means nothing outside of it

Options

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    deadlift 315 is still in the amateur weight class.

Yes its only 3 45's per side right? That really doesn't seem like it would be hard to lift off the ground like that. I don't even know why I'm being challenged to lift 315.

cuz people believe what they want to like people don't believe I can do 60 revolutions in 20 sec on jump rope.

That doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult. The jump rope I mean. Damn. Now I have to try just like the wide pull up thing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yes its only 3 45's per side right? That really doesn't seem like it would be hard to lift off the ground like that. I don't even know why I'm being challenged to lift 315.

cuz people believe what they want to like people don't believe I can do 60 revolutions in 20 sec on jump rope.

That doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult. The jump rope I mean. Damn. Now I have to try just like the wide pull up thing.

Put those quick feet to the test?
    I have to post mine since people where so skeptical.
    It take a while to get up there for me. I was chasing 100 revolutions in 30 secs for a full month.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    idk, i could bench as much as most people on my football team, and comprable in most lifts (tho there were stand outs that were a cut above me) but some that were 'weaker' then me can and did knock me on my *kitten*

strength and explosive power are not the same things IMO so i guess i'll throw that out there into the 'discussion'.

as many have said it comes down to the fact that the more closely the activity relates to your training, the better you will be.

I would imagine if the stronger man had as much basket ball experience as you do then he would have had the advantage.

its not going to upset me one bit if someone tells me my gym muscles are useless. they are there, and that was bascially the whole point.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

It take a while to get up there for me. I was chasing 100 revolutions in 30 secs for a full month.

You're on. Now I just have to find a jump rope. How much do you weigh? It may be a function of size and weight as well. I only weight 127 so moving that isn't as difficult as 227 for instance. I could be talking out my *kitten* though.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

its harder then you'd think. I have a lot of jump rope experience, never tried this, but it doesn't sound that easy to me.

i got the stop watch out on my phone and it took me almost ten seconds to count to 60 as fast as i could lol.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

You're on. Now I just have to find a jump rope. How much do you weigh? It may be a function of size and weight as well. I only weight 127 so moving that isn't as difficult as 227 for instance. I could be talking out my *kitten* though.

the hard part is getting the rope to go that fast, not jumping it
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Dun-dun-duuun!

Who is *truly* elite?!?
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I'm going to try the jump rope thing tonight. I may find, like has happened frequently in the past, I don't know what I'm talking about :) It's always cool to try something new though.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Didn't you know, lifting is for "real world" applications like the "what animal can you even lift site". I can leg press a Mature Male Moose once, can you?!?!? Mine sounds so much better than "I can play one one one casual basketball better than you" now, doesn't it? My brag is better than your brag because of weights!

http://whatanimaldoyoulift.herokuapp.com/
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I weighted on video 225
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaPfdvPw1M

I now weigh 220
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I been jump roping for close to a year now. HIIT style also.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So what good is it to be so strong in the weight room if it doesn't translate over to anything else?

If for no other reason, (for men) you should want to add as much muscle as you possibly can between the ages of 15 and 38, because after you turn 40, your testosterone and metabolism are basically non-existent. Life will suck for anyone who suffers from low-T.

What about if you're 39? Tell me there's hope for us 39ers out there? Something? Anything?

I'm 41. Do you have a sharp knife that I can borrow?

zoidberg-seppuku-gif.gif

Wasn't your baby girl able to out-pedal you on her bike?

not after i let the air out of her tires, she wasn't
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I weighted on video 225

I now weigh 220

That's fast. Nice economy of movement. Watching that makes me think I likely can't but I'll try anyway.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    can't see the video, but its going to be really hard if you don't have one of those steel cable speed ropes, they go a lot faster
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    how are you at double unders. i can do some fancy stuff but i totally suck at those
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I weighted on video 225

I now weigh 220

That's fast. Nice economy of movement. Watching that makes me think I likely can't but I'll try anyway.

It is but I want to get faster. I will never have to change this workout like slow steady cardio. I will always get HIIT benefits.
    I workout a lot less than people do and still have been losing weight. 20 pounds down in 50 days. Nutrition way more important important but I love to workout ok.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    how are you at double unders. i can do some fancy stuff but i totally suck at those
    My max is 30 straight. I know someone who can do 150 straight. SHE was my fitness nutrition guru.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I weighted on video 225

I now weigh 220

It is but I want to get faster. I will never have to change this workout like slow steady cardio. I will always get HIIT benefits.
    I workout a lot less than people do and still have been losing weight. 20 pounds down in 50 days. Nutrition way more important important but I love to workout ok.
    jumping rope is awesome

builds coordination, makes you more athletic then simply running or lifting or whatever. interesting that i mention that in this thread lol.

thats why i like doing different 'tricks' and sequences rather then just going for raw speed. training your ceribellum.

its awesome doing it to music, hardly feels like exercise. love doing it when i'm angry
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I gonna try to do cardio acceleration today using jump rope as my rest.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    The OP is ELITE on his basketball court!

For the record, I play basketball a lot more often than I move furniture.

haha I was just thinking I need to do more weights so I can screw the bottom off the damn blender more easily.