Strong in weight room means nothing outside of it

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you train your body- are you trying to improve on doing the same moves over and over or are you trying to improve your full body and actual capabilities?

I'm a recruiter and I've recruited for many roles involving heavy lifting. I've had guys come in for interviews bragging that they could lift 250lbs, they were body builders, etc (and looked like it too- I never called their gyms during my reference checks, lol) but when it came to the actual job they couldn't do it.

And then I've had scrawny, super lean guys who could come in and move fridges and appliances around, carrying up/down stairs (with a partner but no lifting equipment).

A trainer once told me that a lot of guys go into the gym and just focus on weights on the body parts they want to build. They get wicked arms but don't bother working on different body parts so have no back strength (most common thing she found). If you're not stable at your core (both front and back) then you're not going to be able to lift much when it comes down to moving the way you need to in real life.

I think this is why it's important to cross train and do different routines- not just stick to the same thing. Something I'm trying to work on lol

A lot of that is being able to feel the weight and knowing how to pivot it too.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My training partner at the gym is an ex pro boxer - MUCH stronger than me in every department. I can hit a golf ball further than him and kick a ball harder than him, and sprint faster than him, and smash a shuttlecock harder than him, and strike a cue ball harder than him. Strength has little to do with those clearly

Until you reach high levels of strength, sprinting is very much a strength activity.

You can squat and deadlift your way to a sub 12 sec 100m.

Strength work eventually has diminishing returns, and plyometric work becomes more appropriate for training, but at that point you are very strong.

Strength plays some part in sprinting for sure - but so does technique, and it's also a fact that some people have more fast twitch fibres than others. Two people of equal leg strength who weigh the same would certainly not necessarily be equal sprinters
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think compound exercises (eg burpees) are better for real world application and agility, while bicep curls etc help you look good, but not as helpful in real world applications!
    So I emphasize compound exercises!
    But that's just me!
    Each to his own!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying though. There are a lot of guys out there (I don't think women are like this, could be wrong) who lift weights or work out really intensely, but never seem to DO anything with it. It's like the old joke, "We're working out just so we can get through our workouts."

Now you shouldn't judge anyone, any motivation to exercise is a good reason, yada yada. But I know for me I couldn't imagine doing all that work in the gym just to take good selfies. I like to get out and test myself. See if all that time in the gym has really paid off or not. Can I climb a rope? Can I make it up a mountain? That sort of thing.

I've always wanted whatever strength I had to be functional, and not just for looks.

I don't still...these people (woman included) who lift massive amounts of weight in the gym but never seem to DO anything with it...how do you know what they do with it?

I lift heavy and it makes it easier for me to hand till my garden rows, or carry the groceries in or change my tire or move my sofa...or take my 20 year old son down...well maybe not down but I give him a good go around...

Being strong makes life in general easier...people have no idea how other people apply their workouts in "real life"

I tend to have the same thought process. For example, this past weekend I used an ax to split wood and remove small stumps for a good hour and felt very little fatigue, which I attribute to time spent lifting weights.
  • Wonderob
    Options

So what good is it to be so strong in the weight room if it doesn't translate over to anything else?

There's a famous bodybuilder called Frank McGrath who was in a bad car accident. He was told that his size and strength almost certainly saved his life

That's a pretty big translation to the real world!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Op used one example to prove his point on a world scale. It means nothing.

On that end, I am a grappler. I took some time off, but was still
    In the gym and really god damn strong. I came back, and did a tournament against people of a higher belt level and who have better technique. I cut through them because I was a lot stronger than them. Does it mean strength will always win? Course not. My instructor, who i out weight but more than a 100lbs, will absolutely destroy me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I once played tennis against a guy who was a doctor. A DOCTOR! This guy went to college and then med school for 8 years, then did like 5 years of residency before becoming an oncologist!

Unbelievable. And I beat him at tennis!

WHAT GOOD IS 13 YEARS OF HIGHER EDUCATION IF IT HAS NO APPLICATION IN THE REAL WORLD?!
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    I once played tennis against a guy who was a doctor. A DOCTOR! This guy went to college and then med school for 8 years, then did like 5 years of residency before becoming an oncologist!

WHAT GOOD IS 13 YEARS OF HIGHER EDUCATION IF IT HAS NO APPLICATION IN THE REAL WORLD?!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Could he move a flowerpot?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Damn right +1
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I know a certain fellow who is a beast in the weight room, lifting incredible amounts of weight in every lift I've seen him do. Far more weight than I can do in any of these same lifts. Yet when I played a simple game of basketball against said fellow I was surprised to find that I could hold my own against him down in the post. Don't get me wrong he was strong and all but he couldn't budge me from my positioning anymore than I could budge him, we were basically even, except unfortunantly for him I was much more agile in the game and had an advantage there.

It made me wonder what good is all that weight room strength this fellow has if it did nothing for him in real world applications? Furthermore there are many individuals, even some women, who can lift more than me in many lifts yet in real world applications of strength they have nothing on me.

So what good is it to be so strong in the weight room if it doesn't translate over to anything else?
    Um. It is basketball. A skilled sport that does not necessarily rely on strength and relies more on your actual basketball skills.

Now..many of the talented hoops players are very strong, but your BASKETBALL Playing ability comes first, and then they add in the strength.

and I would imagine....being strong would come into play and be more beneficial in real world applications more than being a good basketball player......
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    play a full contact sport like football and see how you fair instead. Bet he can bring you to the ground harder than you can him.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Whoa there's a quantum leap!

I think the OP would have been better off saying:

"What's the point of being strong in the weight room, when there appears to be little advantage outside of the gym, even in activities where strength was an advantage?"

The responses might be similar but without the exaggerated replies
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

And what does being good in basketball get you in anything else?

It is a matter of personal goals.

And I beat doctors, lawyers, a few judges, VP's, city managers, major oil tycoons, and a very popular rock star in tennis, yet I am none of those. :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

"What's the point of being strong in the weight room, when there appears to be little advantage outside of the gym, even in activities where strength was an advantage?"

The OP would have been better off leaving the basketball anecdote off entirely, because it's completely meaningless and silly.

BTW, "quantum leap" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means. Probably better if you don't use the phrase.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Except that since the op is trolling that wouldn't have led to the desired response.

You'll notice he hasn't been back. :yawn:
  • Wonderob
    Options

The OP would have been better off leaving the basketball anecdote off entirely, because it's completely meaningless and silly.

BTW, "quantum leap" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means. Probably better if you don't use the phrase.

I used the phrase as per the Oxford English Dictionary:

A sudden large increase or advance

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/quantum-leap

Fits perfectly thanks

The basketball anecdote was then entire core of his argument - without that there would be no thread - whether that would be advisable is another matter of course!