Strong in weight room means nothing outside of it

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm not even saying "real world application"- because neither of the things you are comparing includes opening a stuck jar of pickles.

But if you train for playing basketball- you're going to be better at it than someone who doesn't.

How good of a dancer are you? I bet you lift more than I do but I can out dance you- why because I spend 10-15 hours a week training for it.

It's like apples to sheetrock.

Have some coffee and go pick up a hobby and stop trying to make yourself feel better.

The OP does not lift more than you do. But I have no idea how your dancing skill compares to his so I'll take your word on that one

Then you need to check out her youtube videos...

<<<stalker
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    OP did you ever post that video of you just walking into a gym and deadlifting 315 because you move "heavy rocks" in your garden?
    #snapcity
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strong in the weight room = being able to lift and carry my 60lbs 8 year old, or both my 35lbs 4 year old and my 45lbs 6 year old at the same time, lift and move furniture by myself, carry ALL the groceries, lift equipment at work, etc.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OP did you ever post that video of you just walking into a gym and deadlifting 315 because you move "heavy rocks" in your garden?
    #snapcity

OH MAN, I remember this guy! Hahaha... that was a great conversation
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Forgive a confused Englishman, but in what sense is basketball considered a strength sport?

To be fair, strength gives a player a tremendous advantage on the basketball court. For me it meant I always dominated the boards because I'd always have position, I could take a tremendous amount of punishment in the paint and still control the ball to get my shot up, and I could defend much taller players by not letting them get position. Strength makes a huge difference in the half court game.

In a sense a stronger athlete is a better athlete in almost any arena. But there are limits beyond which training for extra strength does little to improve your performance and actually detracts from the sports-specific stuff you need to get done to get on ahead.

But I appreciate what you're saying. (apart from the fact that terms like "in the paint" mean virtually nothing to me...)

I knew they wouldn't. I used those terms just for that purpose. :laugh:

To me, the OP is confusing laying on a bench and pushing a loaded barbell away from him as actual functional strength. Let him play against a wrestler and he'll find out what being strong in athletics really means. An Olympic lifter would show him something too.

Sure, benching (or more specifically incline benching) would have more carryover to something like Rugby or American Football rather than Basketball. The subject of carryover from the weightroom to the field/arena taxes coaches and athletes from most sports. What's right? How much is too much? Is this affecting recovery and therefore gameday performance? Etc...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I know this guy who is absolutely mind-blowing in the lab, his knowledge of quantum physics is incredible, but he can't change a clutch in a Datsun. What use is all that science learning, if you can't change the clutch in a Datsun??

Why would you want to change a clutch in a Datsun
    cute-dachshund-dog-grass-Favim.com-113324.jpg

Omg stop iiiiiit. Can't stop laughing :laugh: :laugh:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Not one mention made in this thread of the fact that just because your train some things and are big and strong, doesn't mean that you train all things.

The core is one of those place where some people are very deficient, even if they appear not to be. The core is also going to transfer to sports (esp basketball) moreso than other areas of strength.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    #snapcity

OH MAN, I remember this guy! Hahaha... that was a great conversation
    Whoops not heavy rocks, but "heavy flower pots"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979746-female-legstrength?page=4
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My training partner at the gym is an ex pro boxer - MUCH stronger than me in every department. I can hit a golf ball further than him and kick a ball harder than him, and sprint faster than him, and smash a shuttlecock harder than him, and strike a cue ball harder than him. Strength has little to do with those clearly

Until you reach high levels of strength, sprinting is very much a strength activity.

You can squat and deadlift your way to a sub 12 sec 100m.

Strength work eventually has diminishing returns, and plyometric work becomes more appropriate for training, but at that point you are very strong.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    He might do it for aesthetics. People often want to look a certain way and that's all the "real world" application they want.

But I agree with other posters - strength training isn't used for the purposes of basketball which is supposed to be a non-contact sport. He might be able to hammer a baseball out of the field though and he might rock at log throwing!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    He might do it for aesthetics. People often want to look a certain way and that's all the "real world" application they want.

But I agree with other posters - strength training isn't used for the purposes of basketball which is supposed to be a non-contact sport. He might be able to hammer a baseball out of the field though and he might rock at log throwing!
    Its supposed to be a non-contact sport...but it isnt. Try to post up under the basket and the defender will push you out of the paint if you cant hold your ground
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I train to look good naked :-) Not to push someone back harder than me when bouncing a ball.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying though. There are a lot of guys out there (I don't think women are like this, could be wrong) who lift weights or work out really intensely, but never seem to DO anything with it. It's like the old joke, "We're working out just so we can get through our workouts."

Now you shouldn't judge anyone, any motivation to exercise is a good reason, yada yada. But I know for me I couldn't imagine doing all that work in the gym just to take good selfies. I like to get out and test myself. See if all that time in the gym has really paid off or not. Can I climb a rope? Can I make it up a mountain? That sort of thing.

I've always wanted whatever strength I had to be functional, and not just for looks.

Working out so that you can be good at working out doesnt seem fulfilling *to me* but to each his own. I do, however, advocate functional training, and not pure isolation work. But that's more of a injury-prevention kinda thing. I don't think this is what the OP is after. To me, the OP reads like "Hey, this dude looks way better than me, but I can hold my own in basketball SO THERE"
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you train your body- are you trying to improve on doing the same moves over and over or are you trying to improve your full body and actual capabilities?

I'm a recruiter and I've recruited for many roles involving heavy lifting. I've had guys come in for interviews bragging that they could lift 250lbs, they were body builders, etc (and looked like it too- I never called their gyms during my reference checks, lol) but when it came to the actual job they couldn't do it.

And then I've had scrawny, super lean guys who could come in and move fridges and appliances around, carrying up/down stairs (with a partner but no lifting equipment).

A trainer once told me that a lot of guys go into the gym and just focus on weights on the body parts they want to build. They get wicked arms but don't bother working on different body parts so have no back strength (most common thing she found). If you're not stable at your core (both front and back) then you're not going to be able to lift much when it comes down to moving the way you need to in real life.

I think this is why it's important to cross train and do different routines- not just stick to the same thing. Something I'm trying to work on lol
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying though. There are a lot of guys out there (I don't think women are like this, could be wrong) who lift weights or work out really intensely, but never seem to DO anything with it. It's like the old joke, "We're working out just so we can get through our workouts."

Now you shouldn't judge anyone, any motivation to exercise is a good reason, yada yada. But I know for me I couldn't imagine doing all that work in the gym just to take good selfies. I like to get out and test myself. See if all that time in the gym has really paid off or not. Can I climb a rope? Can I make it up a mountain? That sort of thing.

I've always wanted whatever strength I had to be functional, and not just for looks.

"Hey, this dude looks way better than me, but I can hold my own in basketball SO THERE"[/b]

Winner.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Maybe the friend was afraid he might break the OP and held back. It's tragic that the OP feels the need to overcompensate for his own poor self-esteem by posting an absurd attempt to mock his friend for being a good guy.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Scene: College baseball game with buddies a month ago. Big cooler full of ice and beer. 2 of my friends sloshing it around trying to get it down the steps to our seats. I know I can deadlift a lot more than that cooler. I pick up the cooler, walk it down the steps and across the aisle to our chairs.

Baseball and beer. That's real world application.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I know a certain fellow who is a beast in the weight room, lifting incredible amounts of weight in every lift I've seen him do. Far more weight than I can do in any of these same lifts. Yet when I played a simple game of basketball against said fellow I was surprised to find that I could hold my own against him down in the post. Don't get me wrong he was strong and all but he couldn't budge me from my positioning anymore than I could budge him, we were basically even, except unfortunantly for him I was much more agile in the game and had an advantage there.

It made me wonder what good is all that weight room strength this fellow has if it did nothing for him in real world applications? Furthermore there are many individuals, even some women, who can lift more than me in many lifts yet in real world applications of strength they have nothing on me.

So what good is it to be so strong in the weight room if it doesn't translate over to anything else?

He was probably taking it easy on you so he wouldn't hurt you. When I play sports at this point I only go about 75% max physicality because I don't want to hurt anyone. It's not that serious.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    He probably just doesnt know how to use, or prefers not to use, his full strength in the situation.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Meh. If we're talking real world applications, how are his gas pumping skills? Is he pretty good with the desk jockeying? Can he drive his kids to school like nobody's business? How are his Walmart navigation skills? Can he eat a burger without getting meat juice all over his tie? Do women talk to him? Does his boss appreciate his job performance?

It sounds like you are considering marrying him...