Eating out is ruined for me now..

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And it is people like you that is why I usually avoid forums. People have given you lots of helpful advice and suggestions and ideas. Yet there is an excuse how or why you can't do any of the suggestions.

YOU are the one saying 'eating out is ruined for me now'. People have tried to help so you don't feel like that. YOU are the person making excuses.

As for everyone else, I'd give up. You've all been very helpful and if it was me, I'd be eternally grateful for people taking the time and effort to try and help and advise me overcome such a fear. But I think you're all wasting your breath here.

I think everyone in this forum can prove eating out is still possible and eating some of the 'bad foods' (hate that term) in moderation. It's about choices and control and unfortunately my friend, that is where you come in. Noone else.

You posted just to tell the OP that you usually avoid people like her?

Are you saying she wasn't spot-on with her analysis?

I suppose if she had emerged from hiding with her first ever post to blast "mean people" (as has been done countless times before), that would be fine though, right?

I do not believe she was spot on with her analysis, and quite frankly her post did sound mean. Only the OP could possibly know what is ruined for her.

being true and not full of fluffy flowers and pats on the back doesn't mean it's mean.

Mean is mean- she was being truthful- and truthful =/= mean. You might not like it- but it doesn't make it mean just because you dislike what was said.

That depends on what you are being truthful about. Saying "you are the type of person I usually avoid" is pretty mean IMO. As opposed to simply actually avoiding them.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    When I know we are going somewhere specific, I go to the website and look at the menu and nutritional info and choose what I am having before I even go. Its all there

Not if you enjoy going to local non-chain restaurants.

You know how some people seem to have a solution for every problem?

You're like the inverse of this.

When I eat at a local restaurant for the first time, I make sure I have enough calories for more options...and if that doesn't work, I simply go over that particular day...because it isn't like anyone eats at a new local non-chain restaurant that often. When I'm returning to a local non-chain restaurant, I simply find a *similar* entry in the database for something I plan to order that looks reasonably close.

Me too. That doesn't make the information available online, which is all my post was about.

So you missed the part about finding a similar entry that looks like it could be close? That's obviously better than nothing.

No, but I don't think a similar entry in MFP make the restaurant's info available online. Which, again, is all I said.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I know we are going somewhere specific, I go to the website and look at the menu and nutritional info and choose what I am having before I even go. Its all there

When I eat at a local restaurant for the first time, I make sure I have enough calories for more options...and if that doesn't work, I simply go over that particular day...because it isn't like anyone eats at a new local non-chain restaurant that often. When I'm returning to a local non-chain restaurant, I simply find a *similar* entry in the database for something I plan to order that looks reasonably close.

Me too. That doesn't make the information available online, which is all my post was about.

So you missed the part about finding a similar entry that looks like it could be close? That's obviously better than nothing.

No, but I don't think a similar entry in MFP make the restaurant's info available online. Which, again, is all I said.

You don't even log so why does it even matter to you?
  • bcattoes
    Options

You don't even log so why does it even matter to you?

Because I would like to know how many calories are in the food at the local restaurant.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend surprised me with flowers and dinner out last night - no occasion! Such a happy occurrence is not worth stressing over, but instead calls for celebration. We headed to a pub where I ordered an italian BLT (that they make out of bacon, kale, tomato, garlic aoli and bocconcini cheese on a foccacia bun - DROOL) with a side salad and a beer. Then we went for a romantic walk. I felt flattered and excited by his surprise, satisfied and happy with my food choices, and delighted that I got to spend the evening holding his hand and being active.

This is real life and we will face these choices/challenges everyday. Look for the good, or else create it. Practicing gratitude and moderation has taught me valuable lessons about sustaining a happy and healthy life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP that's too bad. I love eating out. We eat out too much. Sometimes we go to restaurants with many very healthy options, and sometimes we go to buffalo wild wings. I make choices based on: what I know works for me and tastes good, or what I have a hankering for today. So for me, if hubs wants BWW tonight, I'd probably have a salad with chicken on it. If he wanted it next week, I'd maybe have a snack sized basket and ask for extra carrots.
    And a glass or two of wine.

I can find something to eat that's A: tasty, and B: healthy, in virtually all "sit down" restaurants.

If we decide we want pizza: there's a great place downtown that makes a whole wheat crust to die for and we'll order ONE "personal" pizza loaded with vegetables and maybe some sausage. We'll share that and a yummy salad, and have a glass of wine to boot.
    If we decide we want sushi: I'll have soup, some edamame, and a few nigiri pieces.
    If we go to an apple bees kind of place, I'll eat off their weight watchers menu, or have a burger and a salad.
    if we go to our local pub, I'll eat off the menu items marked as healthier by the local gym. Or I'll have a steak salad.
    If we go to Buca I'll look in the MFP database and make a few interesting, tasty choices (which for me very often means a few appetizers, or sides).

I make choices. We always do. I wanted an Audi. I have a Honda and I love it.
    We want to do some remodeling, so we're eating out less and we cut back on some cable channels.
    We want to go to Hawaii next year, so we're staying home this christmas.
    It's all about choices.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My mom invited me out to lunch at OG last week. The plan was to go this past Wednesday. I spent the week leading up to it in total angst about what I would eat, how it would fit into my plan and how to minimize the damage. I downloaded the nutrition info for the entire menu and poured over it for days. I finally settled on a single lunch item and planned to drink my normal iced tea. Off we went to OG. Pleased with myself, I didn't even look at the menu and ordered my chosen dish. The waitress said that they do not offer that particular dish..... WHAT?!?!?!?! Now what do I do? I knoew I should have printed the whole damn nutrition thing out and brought it with me. (mental kick!)

This has happened to me before too. I just have to go to a restaurant with my planned meal and a couple of backups just in case they're not serving the one I planned on. However, that 1500 calorie meal I enjoyed was worth every bite and every minute of extra exercise!

OP-- I don't have anything to add to the great advice and input you've already been given, so I'll just say that I hope you enjoy your vacation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

...has anyone figured out how many grams are in their boneless "wing"? Such a simple question and I still don't know the answer.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I guess for some people, if you don't look like this after dining out, you're doing it wrong
    gluttony.jpg
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Relax and enjoy it. It's just one meal. It won't ruin your week. One meal didn't make you gain it before so why would it now?

THIS!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

...has anyone figured out how many grams are in their boneless "wing"? Such a simple question and I still don't know the answer.

I don't count those because they usually make a violent escape from my system within 12hrs
  • NuclearTraveler
    Options
    I can relate to your post, I work on 'the road' for 6 - 7 months a year, and this has been a problem for me in the past too. As a matter of fact, it has probably been a factor in me deleting MFP profiles in the past, constantly logging food from restaurants, trying to be honest, and in the end just feeling like I was just cheating the system. I still don't eat the way that I should most of the time, but I'll tell you what helps me the most. I don't try to deprive myself, I just focus more on quantity. I find that if I ask for a 'to go' container as soon as I get my meal, I am mostly likely going to only eat half of whatever it is. I drink a ton of alkaline water throughout the day, and I see results. Don't deprive yourself of enjoying 'food time' with your family and friends, use self control and have a blast! You've got this!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I make choices. We always do. I wanted an Audi. I have a Honda and I love it.
    We want to do some remodeling, so we're eating out less and we cut back on some cable channels.
    We want to go to Hawaii next year, so we're staying home this christmas.
    It's all about choices.

Right on!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

One day I'm going to bring a scale.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

I don't think that will help. I've weighed take-out before...and the range was something like 20-100g.

There is One True Answer to this question...BWW headquarters knows it...it's just a matter of finding it. BWW just isn't very transparent in their nutritional information.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I ask the server to only bring me half and pack up the other half. Portions are so huge nowadays I never leave hungry.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

I don't think that will help. I've weighed take-out before...and the range was something like 20-100g.

There is One True Answer to this question...BWW headquarters knows it...it's just a matter of finding it. BWW just isn't very transparent in their nutritional information.

I was half-joking, but I think you're right about their lack of transparency. There are a few restaurants that are like that, and I don't quite understand why.

For anyone familiar with Wings Over... (insert city here) their website says something like, "Derp, it's too hard to figure out nutrition information for our food. You know fried chicken and french fries are bad for you, anyway, right?" Uh, yeah, but I would like to know how it fits into my day/week/whatever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That depends on what you are being truthful about. Saying "you are the type of person I usually avoid" is pretty mean IMO. As opposed to simply actually avoiding them.

meh- I avoid people that smell.

I avoid people that are lazy- I avoid people that complain to much. I avoid a lot of people I don't like because I don't like them.

If you smell and I say I avoid smelly people- does that mean I'm being mean? No not really- i fI make a big deal about walking AROUND you in the hall way and ostracizing you- then yeah that's mean. But it's not really mean to admit I avoid smelly people.

You're projection about something doesn't mean it's ACTUALLY mean- it just means you're projecting.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Speaking of BWW...

I was half-joking, but I think you're right about their lack of transparency. There are a few restaurants that are like that, and I don't quite understand why.

For anyone familiar with Wings Over... (insert city here) their website says something like, "Derp, it's too hard to figure out nutrition information for our food. You know fried chicken and french fries are bad for you, anyway, right?" Uh, yeah, but I would like to know how it fits into my day/week/whatever.

There's a pizza place here that does the same thing on their website, "Duh, the salad's healthier." No **** the salad is healthier, but I can make a salad at home for 1/4 of what you charge for salad. I want to know what else on the menu and how much of it I can make work because all the non-weightloss people in my house love pizza. I guess they just don't want my money.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pretty much if you stay away from most meats and cheese, and don't order anything fried or with a sauce, don't eat all the bread, and get dressing on the side, you'll be fine.

You just described like 90% of the food sold in restaurants.