Any young black women looking to get thin?

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Every other cultural group sticks together........why should blacks get judged for it?

somebody get me a 10 foot pole so I can not touch that...
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    this could have been a totally innocent thread, but you people had to go and make a big deal about this.

'Scuse me? You people? As in you half-brown people? Stop attacking me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Every other cultural group sticks together........why should blacks get judged for it?

I dont think you are actually supposed to say kt.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Don't judge the OP...........
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

More than that there is a certain pressure for black women to stay large and then be proud of being large. If you dare to be thin your blasted for trying to conform to 'white' beauty standards. 2/3 of black women in America are overweight and most of them aren't trying to change because that's how we're 'supposed' to be.

Different cultures are different.

Do you feel pressure to be "thicker"?

I absolutely do feel pressure to be "thicker" and have a large *kitten* and be curvacious and all of that..........
  • wheird
    Options
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

You can't be serious?

I'm one hundred percent serious. THE STANDARDS OF BEAUTY VARY FROM THE WHITE COMMUNITY TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY when it comes to the IDEAL BODY TYPE OF A FEMALE............. its very obvious in our pop culture ARE YOU BLIND? Look at Nicki Minaj, Look at Jennifer Lopez, look at rap music videos......

When did JLo become black?
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    Thanks, JassiBear ... It's funny how people assume so much ... I prefer rock and pop music, and most of my boyfriends have been white ... from some of the posts here, people think I'm Robert Mugabe or something. It ain't that serious!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If the post "any young white women looking to get thin" were up, it would get the same amount of hate.

But white women on this site are the default. Most threads are full of white women, are they not? Is it wrong to want to speak to, see, and connect with people who look like me without paging through 10 pages of content hoping another black woman might show up?

You don't need a post to seek each other out because you are the default. If you post "looking for young women looking to get thin." Its very unlikely more than one or two non-white women would respond.

I shouldn't say anything, but I'm going to go against better judgement. Yes, it is wrong to want to find people who look like you. It's no less racist when it's being done by minorities than by the majority. The color of your skin is the least viable way to find people you have something in common with.

A. Wanting to connect with people of similar appearance isn't inherently racist. Racism is the belief that one is superior or inferior based on skin color; wanting to hang out with other black women doesn't mean I think other races are beneath us.

B. And the hell it is.
  • JassiBear
    Options

More than that there is a certain pressure for black women to stay large and then be proud of being large. If you dare to be thin your blasted for trying to conform to 'white' beauty standards. 2/3 of black women in America are overweight and most of them aren't trying to change because that's how we're 'supposed' to be.

I absolutely do feel pressure to be "thicker" and have a large *kitten* and be curvacious and all of that..........

Not saying that this is right or ethical,, but its reality, so lets face it. And lets also face the reality that BLACKS were torn from their families for hundreds of years during SLAVERY which was facilitated by WHITES and EUROPEANS and still has effects on the way blacks come together nowadays. Dont try to act like it doesnt happen, history is history, you can't sweep 300 years of slavery that built this country and made it what it is today under the rug...... you simply cannot. Yell at me if you want I dont care.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    zz.gif?w=500&h=281

I came here for this.
  • wheird
    Options

Not saying that this is right or ethical,, but its reality, so lets face it. And lets also face the reality that BLACKS were torn from their families for hundreds of years during SLAVERY which was facilitated by WHITES and EUROPEANS and still has effects on the way blacks come together nowadays. Dont try to act like it doesnt happen, history is history, you can't sweep 300 years of slavery that built this country and made it what it is today under the rug...... you simply cannot. Yell at me if you want I dont care.

You just want to watch the world burn, don't you?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

My aunt told me when I was in my hometown a few weeks ago that I've gotten far too tiny and that I'd lost my butt and that I needed to gain weight ASAP because no black man would want a woman built like I am now. We're supposed to have lots of meat on our bones and if a man wanted a twig he'd just date a white woman.

And, so we're clear, the above is racism. People seem confused so I want to make it clear
  • JassiBear
    Options
    Thanks, JassiBear ... It's funny how people assume so much ... I prefer rock and pop music, and most of my boyfriends have been white ... from some of the posts here, people think I'm Robert Mugabe or something. It ain't that serious!

Most of my boyfriends have been white as well....actually I've only ever had one black boyfriend. I also enjoy pop music and rock moreso than most hip-hop.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I haz a color, too, it's kind of peachy or more olive like. Are than any other ladies of olive skin tone looking to get healthy with me??? Let's do it.
    Twerk_zpsd426b67e.gif
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Man, this just keeps getting better and better. Just look at Nicki Minaj? I try not to.

Please, go on...
    QfkRE.gif
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Wait....

Stop right there....No more racial arguments

I gotta go get some popcorn first....
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If the post "any young white women looking to get thin" were up, it would get the same amount of hate.

But white women on this site are the default. Most threads are full of white women, are they not? Is it wrong to want to speak to, see, and connect with people who look like me without paging through 10 pages of content hoping another black woman might show up?

You don't need a post to seek each other out because you are the default. If you post "looking for young women looking to get thin." Its very unlikely more than one or two non-white women would respond.

I shouldn't say anything, but I'm going to go against better judgement. Yes, it is wrong to want to find people who look like you. It's no less racist when it's being done by minorities than by the majority. The color of your skin is the least viable way to find people you have something in common with.

Okay, at the most fundamental, people going for people like them is the root of mate selection in evolutionary biology.

On a less impersonal level, people seek out similar body types, heights, clothing sizes, etc. to them in other people; race and ethnicity both can result in different body struggles, cultural issues, etc. We might all be the same, but there are differences that don't need to be ignored for fear of racism; embracing our differences and celebrating them is what diversity is truly about, not making us a homogenous bubble.
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    Again ... It's not that serious ... now how do I stick to 1400 calories a day? That's the stuff I REALLY want to talk about ...
  • futurethin2014
    Options
    How do you explain my attraction to slender white men? I must be a mutant, lol ...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Yes and its sexist when there is a women's conference or when the gynecologist won't make an appointment for me.
  • wheird
    Options
    Again ... It's not that serious ... now how do I stick to 1400 calories a day? That's the stuff I REALLY want to talk about ...

You are new to MFP. At this point, just sit back and watch the show. :)
This discussion has been closed.