Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in a multi sports group where we do a lot of workouts together. I definitely socialize, joke, etc with these people and they in return because we know each other and there's some group culture about when to chat and when not.

With strangers, not so much.

There have been times during triathlons or run events that I've appreciated an encouraging word from a fellow participant.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on what I'm doing. If I am taking a walk outside I usually smile and greet everyone I see. If I am doing circuit training/bootcamp we are all usually laughing about something ridiculous (its an all female group and community is a big part of the entire program). If I am at the gym I prefer just to do my own thing and not socialize at all.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Keep smiling! It may make someone's day a lot brighter. We never know what is going on in other people's lives and a smile might be just what they need.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Maybe a simple nod, that would be about it.

I would want to punch some sanctimonious fit stranger to felt the need to "encourage" me.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    On the way into the gym or at the water fountain.
    tumblr_mabj80gscl1qasxjlo1_500.gif

During the workout.
    hE10CDDC6

Nothing personal.

Yep
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    On the way into the gym or at the water fountain.
    tumblr_mabj80gscl1qasxjlo1_500.gif

During the workout.
    hE10CDDC6

Nothing personal.

Hahahaha true
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    friendly while working out? i'm barely friendly while making out. when i'm working out i'm focused on handling my business and have no want or need for attaboys from gym randoms. i'm not saying that what you're doing is a bad thing, but just don't be shocked when people don't greet you with open arms. if you want camaraderie join crossfit or something.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I am doing cardio or water aerobics, I'll smile or waive at people I know or share a few words of encouragement or sympathy for a rough day with the person next to me, or share a laugh with someone. Some of my friends will tease me because I practice breathing exercises with my eyes closed while listening to music on the stationary bike and have no clue to what is going on. If working with weights, everyone usually respects the other person's concentration until they are finished with their set in the gym where I am a member.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i'm one of the friendly people at the gym... but because i live in a country obsessed with learning English... I'm often distracted by people wanting to practice on me for free....^__^ so when I workout i actively try to zone people out... but i have found myself working out for 2hours because it takes me that long to do a one hour workout...... :sad:
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    friendly while working out? i'm barely friendly while making out. when i'm working out i'm focused on handling my business and have no want or need for attaboys from gym randoms. i'm not saying that what you're doing is a bad thing, but just don't be shocked when people don't greet you with open arms. if you want camaraderie join crossfit or something.

^^ soooo funny... but i can relate to it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I spend about two hours at the gym on a typical day. 90 minutes working out and 30 minutes socializing. Most people at my gym are pretty cool and friendly.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Most of my exercise happens at a local greenway where people of all shapes and sizes walk/jog/run/ride.

To me it seems like we're all working out together so I smile and nod to almost everyone as to say "Good job! Keep it up!"

I don't actually talk to people because I know that sometimes seems creepy or flirty. lol.

BUT what gets me is that some people seem put off by a smile or nod. Mostly people who are still bigger than me.

I just want to say "I USED TO BE BIGGER I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH"...but I don't because then I would seem crazy.

I get the SAME nod or smile from people who are already fit and it gives me encouragement.

I just don't get why some people are put off by people being friendly while working out.

We're all in this together...Aren't we?

Last question first, NO we aren`t...

Answering your gym question, we can talk after my work out.

While lifting, I never give anymore than a "what`s up" head nod. Once I get in my zone and my pump on, sorry, but trading pleasantries and talking isn't going to happen.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My only complaint is that people should know how to time their socializing. Some guy tried to start up a nonsense conversation with me the other day in the middle of my 2 minute plank. Bad timing! lol.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My motto is "I'm not here to chat, I'm here to work." and I've had to say it a few times. There's been times where I've had to excuse myself from a Chatty Cathy in a more polite way than using my motto. I have b*tchy resting face and extreme b*tchy work-out face, so I'm positive that keeps people away.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I workout at a small gym and I usually have my headphones on (headphones is code for: don't talk to me). I keep my head down and my mouth shut and concentrate on the task at hand but if someone were to approach me while in this mode, I would certainly make brief time to chat so long as it's serious and gym-related.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Where I work out it is mostly a smile or a nod. I don't usually talk to anyone I don't really know because I don't want to be perceived as that 40-something guy who tries to talk to the girls!
    But, I live in a very small community and know most everyone at my gym.
  • ftloy
    ftloy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I actually workout at home, by myself, but I've been known to talk **** here and there .... to myself. It's all in good fun. :happy:
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I smile and wave but don't talk. I'm there working out, not to be social.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    If someone tries to engage me in conversation, I interrupt them with a question, "WHAT!, IS TODAY JAW DAY?". Must be the Trenbolone talking.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband and I workout at the same gym; usually at different times. He's outgoing and friendly with all of the gym staff and has made a bunch of friends at the gym. I'm just not as outgoing and tend to keep to myself. I get extremely distracted if I start talking to people. I also have RBF (resting B face).

It's not that I'm an unfriendly person...I'm usually listening to my music and too involved in what I am doing/thinking to be friendly.

Just an example of how people are different.