Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've noticed at my gym that most people don't socialize. Maybe because it's 5:30 in the morning but I was expecting more of the "we're all in this together" atmosphere but I haven't really seen it. People aren't rude but everyone just keeps to themselves.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have even made eye contact with most of the people at my gym I get my sets done and leave.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i am polite but have my head down and grinding....If I am approached I will chat....esp if she is cute
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well I work out at home, in my room, so I don't communicate with anyone, except the person on my laptop screen who I sometimes swear at, just because I'm tired of exercising or something. I rarely run, but one time I did, these brat kids who thought they were all tough started yelling abuse at us and I lost my temper and shouted at them. So people like that I don't get on with, but otherwise if a person is friendly I would.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones in the gym and pretty much tune out the rest of the world. If I see someone that I know, I'll give a nod to acknowledge them or whatever, but beyond asking for a spot, I avoid any actual conversation. Nothing personal.
  • focusedfitness123
    focusedfitness123 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No. As far as I'm concerned it's my gym and they are intruding. I shouldn't be nice to an intruder, should I? Unless they stay on the stationary bikes. I'm ok with that.
  • mkladyjmm
    mkladyjmm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I greet people on my local walking path with a smile, nod, wave or a "hello." I don't make any other comments.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just want to say "I USED TO BE BIGGER I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH"...but I don't because then I would seem crazy.
    but here's the thing....you really DON'T know what they are going through. The might actually be a far superior athelete to you, and are recovering from illness or injury that caused a major setback. The also might not care to lose weight, but like to go out for a walk once in a while. Some people might find it condescending if it feels like you're giving them a 'way to go fattie" kind of 'encouraging' message.:ohwell:

I understand you're trying to be helpful and maybe inspire them, but you just can't know what's happening in someone else's head....
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am friendly all day with work, kids, and whatever else I have to deal with. My gym time is me time and I zone out because I have a limited amount of time to get in my work and get back home to mom duties. I will not be rude to people, but I don't go out of my way to socialize with people in the gym. I know most of the people at the gym and they know not to mess with me until I am done.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was a misanthrope until reading some of these responses. I'm suddenly feeling the need to reassess.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I don't talk or make eye contact with anyone. At the park, it's another story. I see a lot of the same people over and over and have become friends with some of them to the point where we may actually stop and chat for a couple of minutes, but definitely at least smile and wave. Others that I don't know as well, I always at least say good morning the first time I pass them and then nothing else the rest of the time. I don't think I've ever gotten or given a "leave me alone" face at my park. I like to at least let other people know that I am there so in case they don't see me the next lap, they know to look for me passed out on the side of the trail and hopefully they think I am nice enough to merit them calling 911 for me. I wouldn't take it personally and there is no reason not to smile at someone you made eye contact with...just know that you might not get a smile in return. :smile:
  • fibbersteve
    fibbersteve Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym I just felt like we're all on our own schedule and know what we need to do. There's being courteous and yes/no questions, and there's having light conversations with regulars that you've come to know. I was always friendly to anyone regardless, that's just me.

I've been jogging for 3 months and I always wave towards other people who are jogging, cyclers, walking their dog, passing by, mowing lawn, etc. I usually cannot speak because I have breathing problems while I'm jogging or walking that I have to constantly breathe heavily, so it sounds weird when I speak during that. I just don't say anything but I do acknowledge with a wave even if they don't wave back.

I'm just a friendly guy :P
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have found that where I walk most people that I pass either give the wave or smile or say good morning/evening. I was commenting the other day on how happy and friendly people who work out are. I just started "running" on my walks and a lady I passed said "you go girl". I almost had to stop because I was laughing so hard (maybe it was oxygen deprivation).

I have heard that it is good for your safety to make eye contact with people when walking outside. As if to say "Hey I see you so don't mess with me." Just some food for thought.
  • hannahbergam
    Options
    Most of my exercise happens at a local greenway where people of all shapes and sizes walk/jog/run/ride.

To me it seems like we're all working out together so I smile and nod to almost everyone as to say "Good job! Keep it up!"

I don't actually talk to people because I know that sometimes seems creepy or flirty. lol.

BUT what gets me is that some people seem put off by a smile or nod. Mostly people who are still bigger than me.

I just want to say "I USED TO BE BIGGER I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH"...but I don't because then I would seem crazy.

I get the SAME nod or smile from people who are already fit and it gives me encouragement.

I just don't get why some people are put off by people being friendly while working out.

We're all in this together...Aren't we?

I absolutely agree- ESPECIALLY because you are referring to working out along a greenway. When I am outdoors and exercising, I feel an extremely different connection with people in comparison to working out in a gym. I feel like we are, in fact, all in it together. We all have our own struggles, but it's largely the same battle, so support should always be welcome. However, in a gym, I often have my ugly gym-face on too. It's harder to be friendly in there (in fact, sometimes two girls running/ellipticizing side by side can be straight up HOSTILE), but I wouldn't stop saying hi. You do you!
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We're all in this together...Aren't we?

Not really, no. You aren't on my fitness "journey" or "adventure" anymore than I am on yours. We aren't sharing some special bond just because we happen to be running or lifting weights in the same general location.

I'm not rude to people when I'm working out, but it does annoy me when I'm focused and straining at something and I keep having to break concentration to smile and wave every time I pass someone. I'm also pretty sure that my "oh crap, this sucks. Gotta push through, gotta push through" face is probably not the most friendly face in the world, but it has nothing to do with my weight or the people around me.

Exactly. When I am working out I am focused on me, not anyone around me. Don't take it personally.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm neutral. I'm in my zone when I exercise at the gym. Unless people are talking very loudly and/or doing something else that grabs my attention, I don't really notice them. I definitely don't interact with them. I'm there for me and once I'm done with my workout, I leave. I'm not there to socialize.

If I'm walking outside, I'll say "hello" to people I pass if they give a smile or nod.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I....can honestly say a stranger 'encouraging' me is off-putting.

I don't know you, why the hell do you care about what I'm doing? I can see how it would embarrass some people.

If I'm running on a trail, and see someone passing the other way, we'll do the obligatory smile if I'm not bent-over dying. But that's where it ends.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My exercise routine is often, find the biggest, toughest looking guy I can, approach him from behind, tap his should to get him to turn around, the punch him in the face will all the might I've got.

Then, I turn and run as if my life depends on it (as it usually does)... for about 5 miles.

It's a pretty good workout, and no, I'd say I'm not very friendly.