Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I will smile at people, or answer questions. But I'm an introvert, and I get very focused when I work out. I'm not there to socialize.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    We're all in this together...Aren't we?

Not really, no. You aren't on my fitness "journey" or "adventure" anymore than I am on yours. We aren't sharing some special bond just because we happen to be running or lifting weights in the same general location.

I'm not rude to people when I'm working out, but it does annoy me when I'm focused and straining at something and I keep having to break concentration to smile and wave every time I pass someone. I'm also pretty sure that my "oh crap, this sucks. Gotta push through, gotta push through" face is probably not the most friendly face in the world, but it has nothing to do with my weight or the people around me.

Agreed. I'm a pretty happy and friendly person, but I have limited time to workout so don't go to the gym to socialize, and when I'm outside walking it's music therapy time for me. I'm busy at work and then I'm busy at home and my workouts are really my only "me" time. Plus, I'm sure my focused face really isn't that inviting. I'm also not sorry if that seems selfish to some people. It's not my intention to be rude, but it's also not my responsibility to be motivating to others I happen to pass on the street, either.
  • AGMcCarthy
    AGMcCarthy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This seems like as good a forum as any to have a whinge. I used to feel very left out when I first started at my local YMCA. It's taken me 6 months to get to chatty level with a few of the regulars, but I find I'm completely invisible to the younger ones, and that includes the young instructors! (I'm a young 63, so is it my age?). I'm friendly.... I smile when I pass people.... I don't bother anyone..... so WTF? I used to be an instructor myself - many liftetimes ago - and I used to make a point of establishing a rapport with my clients, so I just don't understand why when I see the same instructor 3 times a week for 6 months they still can't smile and say hello when I come in!!
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    Absolutely friendly. I'm just that way naturally in all situations. Whoever doesn't like it is fine with me. I smile at them anyway.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I usually smile and nod while out running. I find most people out running will smile and now. People who are out walking for exercise will smile and nod. Young guys who are obviously just walking to get somewhere will just glare.

At the gym I never really talked to anyone nor did I do the smile and nod. I'd greet staff when I came in. Maybe if someone struck up a convo in the locker room I'd chat. Once a friend and I went to the same gym. That is about the only time I ever talked to anyone.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This seems like as good a forum as any to have a whinge. I used to feel very left out when I first started at my local YMCA. It's taken me 6 months to get to chatty level with a few of the regulars, but I find I'm completely invisible to the younger ones, and that includes the young instructors! (I'm a young 63, so is it my age?). I'm friendly.... I smile when I pass people.... I don't bother anyone..... so WTF? I used to be an instructor myself - many liftetimes ago - and I used to make a point of establishing a rapport with my clients, so I just don't understand why when I see the same instructor 3 times a week for 6 months they still can't smile and say hello when I come in!!

This is completely different. Good customer service alone would dictate that they act friendly towards their members. Just don't get offended when other clients don't get all chatty with you.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My husband and I workout at the same gym; usually at different times. He's outgoing and friendly with all of the gym staff and has made a bunch of friends at the gym. I'm just not as outgoing and tend to keep to myself. I get extremely distracted if I start talking to people. I also have RBF (resting B face).

It's not that I'm an unfriendly person...I'm usually listening to my music and too involved in what I am doing/thinking to be friendly.

Just an example of how people are different.
    3 cheers for RBF!!! :heart:
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i'm not friendly at all. i want to focus, do my best which requires concentration, get my **** done and get the hell out of the gym. i don't enjoy working out much. so yeah people talking to me or distracting me even slightly i get real prickly :(
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to engage me in conversation, I interrupt them with a question, "WHAT!, IS TODAY JAW DAY?". Must be the Trenbolone talking.

:laugh: I died laughing at this!
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try to work out so hard I can't talk :). Before and after I could be talked to, but not during.

As for words of encouragement for bigger people, I don't do that. Everyone does not find encouragement helpful. If they talk to me of course that might open the door, but I don't intrude first.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I smile at everybody. I make eye contact in the hallway, and will engage the friendlier people in quick chit chat. I can't help it. I'm friendly by nature.

I do a lot group classes because I like the shared experience. Even if it's miserable. There are happy people who I will grin at if I catch their eyes in the mirror - even if a half second later we're doing burpees or tuck jumps as fast as we can. And then we'll stand around catching our breath after class, discussing and complaining about our most/least favorite parts.

My husband has started showing me the ropes in the weight room, and I imagine I'll keep to myself in there. Everyone's doing their own thing. It's not unfriendly. But it is quiet.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to engage me in conversation, I interrupt them with a question, "WHAT!, IS TODAY JAW DAY?". Must be the Trenbolone talking.

I'm pocketing this one. Will report back when I get to use it.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I am never friendly, ever. Grumpy cat is my hero.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I pretty much smile at everyone, all the time, working out / running / walking to work, etc. It's a surprisingly low ratio of smiles out to smiles back across the board.

If smiling at people make you happy, then just keep doing it. You're doing a good thing, even if people don't smile back.

^^ This.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I smile at everybody. I make eye contact in the hallway, and will engage the friendlier people in quick chit chat. I can't help it. I'm friendly by nature.

I do a lot group classes because I like the shared experience. Even if it's miserable. There are happy people who I will grin at if I catch their eyes in the mirror - even if a half second later we're doing burpees or tuck jumps as fast as we can. And then we'll stand around catching our breath after class, discussing and complaining about our most/least favorite parts.

My husband has started showing me the ropes in the weight room, and I imagine I'll keep to myself in there. Everyone's doing their own thing. It's not unfriendly. But it is quiet.

I smile at everyone, make eye contact and engage in friendly chit chat as well. I grew up in the South, and that is just normal behavior/ basic manners back home. People here in Michigan think I am flirting or being weird. lol. It creates some rather awkward situations.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm begrudgingly friendly. People try and talk to me when my headphones are in, and then just stand there waiting for a response, until I take them out. This happens mid set all.the.time. and makes me want to throat-punch someone.

I was literally upside down last time this happened. HATE IT RWARRR
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just started going back to the gym a few months ago. Now that I've been going and recognize the other regulars I will smile at them when I walk in if they are walking around. If I'm working out though usually I'm so deep in my own thoughts that I really don't notice others around me. I do people watch on occasion but I don't interact with anyone.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I smile at everyone, make eye contact and engage in friendly chit chat as well. I grew up in the South, and that is just normal behavior/ basic manners back home. People here in Michigan think I am flirting or being weird. lol. It creates some rather awkward situations.

I grew up in Canada. Transplanted to north Florida for about a decade. Now in Texas. I think Texas is the friendliest place we've lived. lol
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I work out in a pretty spacious place. Lots of us coming and going doing workouts. I try to smile at people at everyone, as I know what it's like to feel invisible.

During warm up or cool down, I will engage in conversations with people who seem open to it or other regulars because there's an established relationship there. I don't want to feel like I'm bothering someone or holding them up from their workout.

If they have headphones / ear buds in, I try not to bother them with conversation. It's kind of the unspoken rule where I workout.

During my actual workout, I am in a zone. Ear buds on. I'll smile or wave if someone catches my eye.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    My first reaction was, "I never talk to people at the gym", but in reality, there are a lot of 'regulars' that are kind of like my "gym friends", so I suppose I do talk to people at the gym. However, I developed these "friendships" only through questions like "what are you training for", "are you a runner?", etc.

Idk I suppose I'm usually more into my workout than socializing, but when I see the same people every single day for YEARS, conversation sometimes happens lol..