Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    sure I am polite but I keep my eyes to myself and my workout. I think that's generally good gym etiquette. I don't go to the gym to socialize or gawk at people. It is my Me time.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always have my earbuds in, so I don't usually talk to people. I might smile at the regulars. I'm not there to chat. Usually I go after work, so I just want to get my workout done, so I can go home and relax. I talk plenty all day long because I'm a teacher. I enjoy my alone time!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have earbuds in and concentrate on my workouts but I always smile at people because you never know when you are going to need a spot.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If someone starts a conversation, I'll usually chat as long as they wish. But I usually avoid getting into a conversation in the first place.
  • amandaschaller28
    Options
    I don't really talk to people much. I'm there to do my stuff. I do give a smile though. But I use that as my time to blast my music and zone out! :D
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    friendly while working out? i'm barely friendly while making out.

[/Close Thread]

Something I've noticed is that the only people who seem to initiate contact are those fitter than me (I lost half my body weight but there's always someone fitter than you). So there's always the feel of look at the poor person working out let's encourage them.

If I can (i.e. able to breath, etc.), I respond or give at least a grunt. Something I do in the bike towards the end when I'm all wiped out is pretend to be looking down at the Garmin when I'm passing people :) If I'm out biking and running I say hi and smile and wave at everybody but there's a huge tri/bike/running community there. The only people who usually don't acknowledge you are bike-only people, triathletes are social animals lol

At the gym I LOVE socializing I tell people I go to the gym to socialize not to work out lol Didn't stop me from losing 115lbs.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I pretty much smile at everyone, all the time, working out / running / walking to work, etc. It's a surprisingly low ratio of smiles out to smiles back across the board.

If smiling at people make you happy, then just keep doing it. You're doing a good thing, even if people don't smile back.

^^ This.
    Yes, I can't help myself! Grumpy people will not get me down! :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm a grumpy gus when I walk into the gym, the people at the front desk are SO friendly that I can't help myself ...... I end up smiling & chatting ....... also, smiles are free :happy:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    If I'm out walking my dog, I'll smile or say hi to people I pass, if they make eye contact with me.

When I'm at the gym, I'm focused. I usually have my iPod on, and don't talk to anyone except my gym partner. I might smile at people I see there regularly, but again, only if they also look at me. I'm pretty shy, so I have a hard time initiating conversations with new people.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    On the way into the gym or at the water fountain.
    tumblr_mabj80gscl1qasxjlo1_500.gif

During the workout.
    hE10CDDC6

Nothing personal.

^^ THIS

I'm there to sweat and I don't go out of my way to be rude BUT I'm not there to smile or socialize either. I'm there to work so I tend to get in the zone and block it all out. It's nothing personal.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tend to hit the gym at 0500, so there aren't that many people there. Always say "hey" to the employee that opens the place and throw out a smile and head nod/wave to other regulars as I'm moving from place to place (and they're not obviously in the midst of straining themselves). Beyond that, don't really interact or talk to anyone. There's one older guy, though, that talks to just about everybody regardless of what they're doing. Watched him start an awkward 10 minute conversation with a lady with headphones on while she was running on the treadmill. I'm not terribly sad that he seems to ignore me.
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Am I friendly to others...

In normal everyday interactions...absolutely

but while working out?

No...and I'll bite :laugh:
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Nobody seemed to pay attention to : I don't talk to people. Lol.
    AND I don't go to a gym.

BUT if I am riding past someone and they are riding/running past me it seems rude to not nod or smile.

Maybe its just me.

SO...if someone smiles at you or nods you don't have to do the same back but you also don't have to give them a rude look.

Maybe it is just the south. lol. We wave at anyone who passes the house if we are outside. (Hand gesture of acknowledgement, not a full on wave."
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's only me there.

And I can confirm that I'm a bit of an arsehole....
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hell.. I object on principle to other people walking along the same routes I'm hiking! Even the whole nod of greeting as we pass by (social obligation) irks me. I don't like engaging in face to face conversations with strangers. Those conversations are never about things that I'm actually interested in.

Not everyone is an outgoing people person. Some people really do just want to be left alone.

Also... consider that what you intend as a positive show of support, may not be interpreted that way by the other person. They don't know what's going on in your head and you don't know what's going on in there head.
  • esanford2
    esanford2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not really. I wear very large headphones during my workout so people don't bother approaching me either. I will ask someone if they need a spotter if I see them struggling with their benchpress.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Yes, I talk to people while I work out. I've made lots of friends at the gym and part of the reason I love going so often is to see the people I enjoy talking with. If someone looks like they don't want to talk, I won't approach them and vice versa. I'm always smiling, so I appear more approachable.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately , I am not a nice person in the gym. I was gym partner-less, so I had to play nice for a couple weeks and go out of my way to find someone to workout with me. Now we mostly lift and then sit in the sauna and b*&*ch about other gym goers.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yes we are. People at the gym all have different goals but goals of some sort. Where I workout though people are staring so hard at me. I think I know what it is. My friends get the same since we have muscle on us. He is just shredded though. When people ask me for spots or how there technique. I help them out to the best of my ability. If I feel there not gonna complete the lift I will watch just in case they need me to run over and help them.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a zombie when I work out. So while I'm not intentionally rude, I can look someone dead in the eyes when I'm working out and not see them.

I got to the gym once my kids are in bed so I'm already tired and crazy. Once I get on a machine and put my songs on I'm like a mindless, drooling idiot until the workout is over.