Planet Fitness

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This thread got me to looking around my new PF that I joined for the summer while the Uni. gym has such craptastic hours.

I have been twice since participating in this thread.

Some observations based solely on the one I visit.

From 7-9am in summer, it's a varied crowd.

Some clearly retired folks, doing cardio and weights
    some 20 something males mostly doing weights
    some teens who look like high school athletes doing primarily machines
    some very, very overweight middle aged folks, doing the 30 minute workout stuff, and cardio (including one very overweight gentleman who clearly had diabetes and was using oxygen)... he was doing the 30 minute circuit and when I noticed him was doing the step-up thing.

I was probably in the oldest 1/3 or perhaps at the median of ages. I was definitely the fittest in my age group, but certainly not overall.

without going into much detail I also came to the conclusion that I probably have more discretionary money than virtually any one I've seen there. That's not a judgement, just an observation.

It's not empty. Quite a few folks there. But not too crowded to work out. And with one exception, (a boy who spent roughly 20 minutes on each machine, on his android phone, periodically moving some body part a small amount very quickly), everyone seemed to be really trying to better themselves physically. It looked like most chain gyms I've visited.

oh, and the "lunk alarm" isn't really *near* the free weights, making it an even sillier marketing schtick.

It's not much of a gym, but folks seemed to be making the most of it.

I also drove by a small family owned gym not too far away that I've never really taken note of. It had a sign outside, which is probably why I really noticed it, saying it had "one location world wide" and was something like $25 a month. If I decide I can't bear to go back to the Uni gym in fall (the smell, the grime, the music), I may check that place out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You are essentially saying wade through the mud to get the useful information. Im saying there probably doesnt need to be so much mud every single time, but it is what it is at this stage. People enjoy having things like PF to complain about.

That is in no way anyone's fault except the plethora of people who have absolutely no clue how to use a search function or Google.
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options
    Golds is only $10 a month and they are awesome.

I pay $25 for Gold's but I have access to both locations in my town. I love Gold's. Unlike the other gym in my town the classes are free and Gold's is cheaper. Everyone is so friendly, employees and attendees. I really feel like it's a no judgement zone. I've been a member for more than four years.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I go to PF, I love it.
    Its the biggest gym in our location with lots of different work out options and classes.
    And it's cheap.
    I didnt read the whole thread so someone may have mentioned this, if you ask they should give you a 7 day no obligations trial.
    Best of luck finding the right gym for you :flowerforyou:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    update. Planet Fitness by me has just gotten rid of all of the benches / incline benches and preacher curls. Apparently the corporate asshats decided that they really want to go as far as possible at being "judgment free" that they decide to completely isolate and remove anyone honestly looking to build muscle. They're replacing them with smith machines instead. Needless to say, screw planet fitness - I just canceled my membership.

If you're honest about wanting to get in shape and build muscle, save your money and go to a better gym for slightly more money, at least you won't be parading around a piece of crap establishment that doesn't actually care about people getting in shape.

As the website says "We’re not a gym. We’re Planet Fitness."
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love my Planet Fitness. It has great cardio machines and a good selection of free weights. Its always super clean. I guess it depends on what you want the gym for. I just like to lift weights and do a little cardio so its perfect. I don't want to spend a crap ton of money on a gym that offers a bunch of classes that I don't use.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    MyProgressISYour1Proof Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada...so luckily, planet fitness is not an option. I have heard nothing but bad things about this gym due to its consistent hypocritical views on others and body image. They are the worst for judgement, even though they claim to be "judgement free".

Dont ever expect to dead lift or squat...apparently they dont allow people who do anything else besides run on a treadmill...and I even think running is not allowed, as it may intimidate others.

I do all of the following of that last paragraph and I go to planet fitness.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The one by me has no barbells, power racks or squat racks. Largest dumb bells are 60lbs. I go there for Abs, forearms, or to watch people eat pizza if it is convenient. Otherwise I go to Retro or Golds.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The one by me has no barbells, power racks or squat racks. Largest dumb bells are 60lbs. I go there for Abs, forearms, or to watch people eat pizza if it is convenient. Otherwise I go to Retro or Golds.

I've heard one person describe it as a great second gym.
  • Rachel_E83
    Rachel_E83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my Planet Fitness. It has great cardio machines and a good selection of free weights. Its always super clean. I guess it depends on what you want the gym for. I just like to lift weights and do a little cardio so its perfect. I don't want to spend a crap ton of money on a gym that offers a bunch of classes that I don't use.

Amen!!!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Since this thread already his zombie status with the post before me I thought I could comment safely.
    I use planet fitness exclusively for my lunch time cardio. For $10/a month and I go five days a week for forty minutes, it's perfect. I do all my strength training at a different gym after work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Since this thread already his zombie status with the post before me I thought I could comment safely.
    I use planet fitness exclusively for my lunch time cardio. For $10/a month and I go five days a week for forty minutes, it's perfect. I do all my strength training at a different gym after work.

Another benefit is that nobody is doing curls in the squat racks.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I hate this place.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've been a member off and on for 8 years (only off because we relocated and didn't have one here until 2012). Joined the one here two months before it even opened.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for amenities, a lot of free weights and less cardio - then no, it's not for you. If you're a hardcore lifter - it's not for you. If you think that one morning where there are free bagels and one night where there's free pizza each month is this oh so horrible thing that's going to ruin people's lives or healthy living - then no, it's not for you. If Tootsie Rolls to you are the devil - definitely look somewhere else.

But if you're someone who's just looking to get healthier and does a decent amount of cardio and uses weight machines? Then hey, it's not so bad! :laugh: And that's where I am right now, until I actually get a personal trainer to freaking call me back at least! LOL
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and like it. The one I go to has squat racks, free weights, and barbells... I don't know what a power rack is so I can't say on that one lol. Anyways, the gym is really clean, and all machines/equipment are in good working order. When things break they are fixed promptly. It is perfect for me to go do my hour and a half of cardio and lifting, and grab a tootsie roll on the way out the door for my son (seriously, tootsie rolls make up for leaving.) All of that being said, I would not recommend it for a heavy lifter. Its great for someone trying to get into shape, not so much for someone already in shape, and trying to make gains (I seriously hope I said that correctly.) It really depends on your area. I would go ask for a walk through, thats what I did. Oh and I dont know if it is all of them, but with the one I attend the $10 membership does call for a $49 start up fee. The $20 membership is a $1 start up fee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the PF thread.... I've now gone back to the Y. Here's whY: Health insurance now includes a discounted or free gym membership. My new insurance had a killer deal where I pay $25 a month and can go to ANY/ALL of 35 gyms in my town, and gyms across The U.S.. So... I'm going to a few different gyms, but mostly the Y. The Y was not worth 50 a month (which is what it had gone up to), but is worth $25. It's pretty good. It could use one more bench, and one more squat rack, but as early as I work out, it's not bad. I am also going to a couple of other gyms near by. Can't beat that.

PF was not on the list with my insurance company (I would have used it for noon cardio from time to time).
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I go to PF 4 times a week. Yep $10 a month no catches. I love it.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I will never go to a Planet Fitness. Too much drama associated with that place. I don't agree with a lot of the things that they do. I love my gym, Anytime Fitness! Very clean, any equipment I could want, never have to wait to use something because there's never more than 15 people in at once.