Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

My issue with Planet Fitness is their advertising. I think it stinks. I also think it feeds into and confirms the self-image issues people have about fitter people and gyms - I still remember how ashamed I was to go out and run that first day.

I'm not exactly sure why you are poo-pooing the ease of setting up a home gym. I spent $40 on a suspension trainer and $10 on a basketball. That's $50.

I could have gotten a doorway pull up bar for $30, but I thought the suspension equipment was more versatile.

It consists of a loop that is attached to my ceiling. The rest of it folds up and fits into a bag that is half the size of a shoe box.

So how much will it cost me to do StrongLifts at home? Because that's the program I'm working. Also, running on a treadmill when it's too hot outside. If I can do all that at home for $80 in my tiny living room, I'll be happy to quit my gym.

Not much. I borrowed a barbell and some other plates from a friend, it's a "women's" barbell i.e. not an olympic one... these things have a max weight on them, I think i bent this one a little tiny bit but it doesn't notice. I think this kind of barbell doesn't cost much... it's not as heavy though. When I buy my own I'm getting an olympic one. I also have a dumbbell set, which I bought in Saudi for about 300 riyals if that (can't remember it was a while back)... I also bought some extra plates in Bahrain, for about 15 dinars for 2x 10kg rubber plates, I got a couple of sets of those and a set of 5kg ones (I think they cost 10 dinars or something)

treadmill was bought by my husband, can't remember how much. Was bought used in Saudi.

squat rack is 2 bedside tables. rubber plates bounce (so I can drop the barbell if I get stuck on a lift)

If you look on whatever websites people sell used exercise equipment - or there may be shops... having an actual squat rack with safety pins is better though. Seriously. I also use the same bedside tables as a safety thing when bench pressing, and I use a coffee table and pillows as an actual bench.

It's not ideal, and I'm planning on getting a power cage, olympic barbell, proper bench and standard plates as soon as I can.

So is your friend going to lend me the barbells and plates, and deliver them to my house? And where might I find a super-cheap treadmill that will not take up the entire floor in my living room? Are you also going to provide storage for these items, because they're not going to be out taking up my whole living room floor while they're not being used.

It's not helpful to offer home gyms up as a viable alternative to a super-cheap gym if you're not going to follow through with a plan on how that does not involve lucky finds.Not everyone has a friend with spare barbells lying around, or access to cheap Saudi treadmills, nor space to put either. Yet many people are being dissuaded from joining an affordable $10 gym who have no workable alternative aside from Youtube videos in their living room floor...or nothing, and after being dissuaded, I'm sure many choose nothing, because obviously all this is a lot of needless effort and bother.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Lol at "too hot to run outside"
  • likitisplit
    Options

My issue with Planet Fitness is their advertising. I think it stinks. I also think it feeds into and confirms the self-image issues people have about fitter people and gyms - I still remember how ashamed I was to go out and run that first day.

I'm not exactly sure why you are poo-pooing the ease of setting up a home gym. I spent $40 on a suspension trainer and $10 on a basketball. That's $50.

I could have gotten a doorway pull up bar for $30, but I thought the suspension equipment was more versatile.

It consists of a loop that is attached to my ceiling. The rest of it folds up and fits into a bag that is half the size of a shoe box.

So how much will it cost me to do StrongLifts at home? Because that's the program I'm working. Also, running on a treadmill when it's too hot outside. If I can do all that at home for $80 in my tiny living room, I'll be happy to quit my gym.

Not much. I borrowed a barbell and some other plates from a friend, it's a "women's" barbell i.e. not an olympic one... these things have a max weight on them, I think i bent this one a little tiny bit but it doesn't notice. I think this kind of barbell doesn't cost much... it's not as heavy though. When I buy my own I'm getting an olympic one. I also have a dumbbell set, which I bought in Saudi for about 300 riyals if that (can't remember it was a while back)... I also bought some extra plates in Bahrain, for about 15 dinars for 2x 10kg rubber plates, I got a couple of sets of those and a set of 5kg ones (I think they cost 10 dinars or something)

treadmill was bought by my husband, can't remember how much. Was bought used in Saudi.

squat rack is 2 bedside tables. rubber plates bounce (so I can drop the barbell if I get stuck on a lift)

If you look on whatever websites people sell used exercise equipment - or there may be shops... having an actual squat rack with safety pins is better though. Seriously. I also use the same bedside tables as a safety thing when bench pressing, and I use a coffee table and pillows as an actual bench.

It's not ideal, and I'm planning on getting a power cage, olympic barbell, proper bench and standard plates as soon as I can.

So is your friend going to lend me the barbells and plates, and deliver them to my house? And where might I find a super-cheap treadmill that will not take up the entire floor in my living room? Are you also going to provide storage for these items, because they're not going to be out taking up my whole living room floor while they're not being used.

It's not helpful to offer home gyms up as a viable alternative to a super-cheap gym if you're not going to follow through with a plan on how that does not involve lucky finds.Not everyone has a friend with spare barbells lying around, or access to cheap Saudi treadmills, nor space to put either. Yet many people are being dissuaded from joining an affordable $10 gym who have no workable alternative aside from Youtube videos in their living room floor...or nothing, and after being dissuaded, I'm sure many choose nothing, because obviously all this is a lot of needless effort and bother.

It's not helpful to dis workable alternatives with no information, because your program is StrongLifts. Especially since many, many people on this website do NOT have access to an affordable gym, not even Planet Fitness.

Even those of us that have access to the gyms may not have life circumstances that allow us a dedicated relationship with heavy weight. Even if I had the equipment at my house, it would be tough to do without hurting myself/a pre-schooler.

I am doing Convict Conditioning (http://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Using-Survival-Strength-ebook/dp/B004XIZN5M/) It is a well-reputed progressive strength training program that uses body weight. It is great for beginners - just about anybody can do it, and I'd argue that most people should. The squat progression by itself is priceless. I think you'd be better off doing them then trying to squat with a Smith Machine.

If one would like to continue to progress using body weight, there are a number of resources.
    (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/166-bodyweight-training)

This is my equipment:
    http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-3000-Equalizer-Trainer-Black/dp/B005CV8LBW/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O3RXOO/

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Rubber-Official-Basketballs/dp/B003WX78FC/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1403568390&sr=1-6&keywords=basketball

I work every single muscle group that you do in the course of a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Did I just see someone poo poo a workable alternative because another person's friend won't let them borrow things?

Did I just imagine that level of silly, or was it really there?

ETA - If she isn't just being a whiner, there's an easy way to make workable items for home. It involves sandbags, and a little effort. >_<
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Home gyms are an alternative, and I'm not going to not offer them as a possible solution just because my friend lent me a barbell.

2nd hand gym equipment is available nearly everywhere, and Saudi Arabia (where I got most of mine) is a harder place than most to find that kind of thing. Have you ever been there? It's far easier to get second had gym equipment in the west. FFS I gave my example of setting up a home gym in Saudi Arabia because it's so much harder to do anything like that there.... 700 miles through the desert to get to a gym I was legally allowed to walk through the front doors of, do you really think it's going to be easy to find exercise equipment? There are no sports facilities at all for women, and very little for men... I had no other option so I put a lot of effort into finding stuff. And I did this while being legally not allowed to drive (it's illegal for women to drive in Saudi Arabia) so I had to get my husband to drive me to places or get taxis.... I didn't just wake up one morning and it fell on my doorstep.

People here are adults. If going to planet fitness is the best option for them, no-one is telling them not to go. They are telling them facts, i.e. that it's not a good gym for people who want to get serious about weight lifting. Pretending that it is all hunky-dory for everyone isn't going to help anyone, because they're going to end up paying money for gym membership that's useless to them. You mentioned stronglifts in asking about my home gym set-up.... well you can't actually do stronglifts at all at planet fitness because it involves deadlifts and the weights you lift you're going to end up grunting and maybe needing to drop a weight... first time I dropped a weight was only about 4 weeks into stronglifts (stuck at the bottom of a squat on my final rep) - but being banned from doing deadlifts means I wouldnt have been able to do 50% of the workouts at all..... So if someone wants to do stronglifts then planet fitness is NOT an option for them at all.

There are quite a few people on this thread who've mentioned that cancelling PF membership costs money. For someone to get into a contract with a gym that's going to be useless for them to achieve their goals is going to end up costing them a lot of money for something that's useless to them. You don't just pay 10 bucks for a month membership, you have to buy a contract where you're obliged to make payments for a set amount of time (I think 1 year) and if you go there twice and find that you can't work out the way you want to and don't want to use that gym any more, then you're stuck in a year's membership.... and lots of people have said how difficult it is to get out of that contract, and they often end up paying a cancellation fee.......... if someone's tight on money then avoiding that problem is extremely important.

Also, your argument suggests that people aren't capable of using their own intelligence. If planet fitness is really the best option for someone in spite of its shortcomings I'm sure they're intelligent enough to realise it and just go there anyway... just like you've said in your situation it's not practical for you to have a home gym due to lack of space. ....But if you really wanted a home gym you could, it's not impossible. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do that and instead working out at a gym, even planet fitness, and I respect your decision on that as you're intelligent and capable of making such a decision. No-one's saying people are *not allowed* to make up their mind to go to planet fitness or whatever...... everyone reading this has the ability to weigh up the information provided and work out what's going to be best for them in their situation. It's just a matter of providing information for people, because you can't make an informed choice without the relevant information.

ETA: if you are serious about stronglifts and a home gym is impractical and your only affordable local gym is planet fitness, then I second likitisplit's recommendation for convict conditioning or you are your own gym or a similar progressive bodyweight programme for strength training. Don't attempt stronglifts with a smith machine, they force your body into an unnatural motion and increase the risk of injury (that goes for planet fitness or any other gym that only has smith machines and not squat racks), also free weights engage more muscles due to stabilising the weight (the smith machine does this for you which is why people can lift more weight using it), so it doesn't work your body fully the way compound lifts with free weights do - Stronglifts is a free weight programme that should be done with free weights. If you don't have any access to free weights at all, then bodyweight programmes are a good standby until you can get access to them.... so long as they have the appropriate level of progressive resistance. You can get good results from them, providing the difficulty level is always increasing as your strength increases.

... though my home gym doesn't take up that much space, it takes up about 4-6 square meters in my bedroom and that includes the space taken up by my bedside table "squat rack" and my coffee table "bench" - they get used as bedside tables and a coffee table between workouts, so it's not like that space is exclusively for my home gym anyway. The barbell can be stood up in a corner and the plates put in a pile, so they don't have to take up a huge amount of space either. I leave my barbell on the floor with plates on though, so it takes up more space than it might otherwise, just because I can't be bothered to unrack it, and I'm the only one that uses it. The treadmill takes up a bit more space - about 3 square meters, it's tucked between the sofa and the wall. But there are other home cardio options if you don't have the space for a treadmill.... an exercise bike takes up a lot less space, or you could do aerobics vidoes that take up no space at all. Or if you have a staircase you can do stair running. There are lots of options, people don't have to have a treadmill to do cardio indoors.

ETA no 2: of course if you happen to live near one of the tiny number of planet fitness gyms that do allow deadlifts and have squat racks then go for it... from the responses here they are one or two, though most of them are not suitable for stronglifts or similar programmes. And sorry for the massive tl;dr post :smile::ohwell: I type at 90 words per minute and have a lot of ideas lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    why?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    why?
    14310783728_3be6c3d7f4.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    why?
    14310783728_3be6c3d7f4.jpg
    Does this suggest it's never "too hot to run outside"? I guess I don't get it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

seriously?

craigslist? she was providing examples of how she got her's set up.

I guess she can lift the weights for you as well??

welp- unless I'm deployed with full rattle gear and it's a requirement- I'm not running in that desert either- *kitten* is hot as hell over there in the desert!!! LMAO. My *kitten* would be up at 0darkthirty or running at way after darkhundred if I HAD to run over there- adn even then- as a woman- I suspect that's a thing.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Why would someone bash the idea of buying home equipment, then suggest planet fitness as a better alternative to do Strong Lifts of all programs? Most planet fitnesses explicitly ban two of the cornerstone exercises of stronglifts! They frequently don't have the equipment to do the other lifts safely.

Am I reading this wrong?
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness and have no complaints. I go every other day and run on the treadmill because I'm not running outside in mid-MO's summertime heat and humidity, nor our wintertime slush and crap. Temperature extremes make me wheezy and chest-hurty.

As far as I can see, the people whining about how PF's ads are judgmental about "fit people" are putting on a hyperbolic shoe and loudly complaining that it fits. The yoga ad, for example, pokes fun at some hippy dippy types blathering about how they can feeeeel the toxins, the dirty toxic toxins, leaving their body. The weightifting ads, IIRC, feature some fakebaked dudebro screaming and popping his veins. If you (general you, not anyone in particular) as a yoga person or a lifting person want to lump yourself in with that type of woowoo crap and get offended feel free. The takeaway I get was that PF is just a bare bones place where average people can go get some average exercise a few times a week and then move on with their day.

I run because I enjoy it (well, I enjoy it afterwards - it sucks while I'm actually doing it) and I'm trying to generally improve my health, but it's not my primary hobby (that's knitting), so PF is a good fit for me. People who do make fitness their primary hobby would probably prefer a more advanced gym with more stuff. Bottom line, do what makes you happy and to hell with what anyone else says.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The reason I checked out and ultimately dismissed PF as a viable option to working out at home was because I wanted to start doing StrongLifts, but with only one Smith Machine and no real barbells (only pre-weights ones that only went up to 50lb - 60lbs), meaning no deadlifts...no bench press or rows. My decision to not join PF had nothing to do with their ads (which are stupid btw). PF is not for some people, but if you are happy with them, why does it matter what other people think?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    As far as I can see, the people whining about how PF's ads are judgmental about "fit people" are putting on a hyperbolic shoe and loudly complaining that it fits. The yoga ad, for example, pokes fun at some hippy dippy types blathering about how they can feeeeel the toxins, the dirty toxic toxins, leaving their body. The weightifting ads, IIRC, feature some fakebaked dudebro screaming and popping his veins. If you (general you, not anyone in particular) as a yoga person or a lifting person want to lump yourself in with that type of woowoo crap and get offended feel free. The takeaway I get was that PF is just a bare bones place where average people can go get some average exercise a few times a week and then move on with their day.
    Is that like saying gay people can be married and have family's but they can't kiss in public? Unless it's women- then it's okay- but men can't.

So you're allowed to be the thing- but you can't be the thing if you want to fit a certain stereotype?

I didn't know that's how judgments, stereotyping and blatant prejudice works. Gosh- thanks for breaking it down for me.
  • likitisplit
    Options

seriously?

craigslist? she was providing examples of how she got her's set up.

I guess she can lift the weights for you as well??

welp- unless I'm deployed with full rattle gear and it's a requirement- I'm not running in that desert either- *kitten* is hot as hell over there in the desert!!! LMAO. My *kitten* would be up at 0darkthirty or running at way after darkhundred if I HAD to run over there- adn even then- as a woman- I suspect that's a thing.

Maybe it's too hot for *you* to run, but I can guarantee that there's some woman with a fall marathon out there getting it done.

#runnersarecrazy
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Is that like saying gay people can be married and have family's but they can't kiss in public? Unless it's women- then it's okay- but men can't.

So you're allowed to be the thing- but you can't be the thing if you want to fit a certain stereotype?

I didn't know that's how judgments, stereotyping and blatant prejudice works. Gosh- thanks for breaking it down for me.

I think it's more like you can have sex with girls, but should never identify as a lesbian because they have hair on their legs.

Me? If I look like a duck and quack like a duck, I'm not going to be happy when you get a duck hunting gun.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness and have no complaints. I go every other day and run on the treadmill because I'm not running outside in mid-MO's summertime heat and humidity, nor our wintertime slush and crap. Temperature extremes make me wheezy and chest-hurty.

I run because I enjoy it (well, I enjoy it afterwards - it sucks while I'm actually doing it) and I'm trying to generally improve my health, but it's not my primary hobby (that's knitting), so PF is a good fit for me. People who do make fitness their primary hobby would probably prefer a more advanced gym with more stuff. Bottom line, do what makes you happy and to hell with what anyone else says.

Yes, not giving a damn because PF ads poke some fun at behaviour which most people would describe as douchey (toxic toxins? really?) is exactly the same as banning gay people from public displays of affection. Glad you were paying attention there.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Maybe it's too hot for *you* to run, but I can guarantee that there's some woman with a fall marathon out there getting it done.

#runnersarecrazy

<my not shocked face>
    I think in that environment I would be more concerned about safety rather than heat- I ran quiet a bit in the mojave desert and it get quiet warm there as well.

And yes- runnersAREcrazy LOL
    :) I kind of like them though- I don't want to do it- but I do like the fact they get it done. that makes me happy. hard work is hard work.
    I think it's more like you can have sex with girls, but should never identify as a lesbian because they have hair on their legs.

Me? If I look like a duck and quack like a duck, I'm not going to be happy when you get a duck hunting gun.
    all this steroetyping- I wonder if I need an alarm for me when I forget to shave my legs.... or when I get a new GF?

this is all so confusing.
    Yes, not giving a damn because PF ads poke some fun at behaviour which most people would describe as douchey (toxic toxins? really?) is exactly the same as banning gay people from public displays of affection. Glad you were paying attention there.

and yet- if we made a gym ONLY for uber fit people- with say visible abs being a requirement to get in- and it's ENTIRE marketing agenda was built off making fun of fat people- some how that would be okay also?

because that's EXACTLY what you're saying. You're saying because YOU think they are just mocking- douchy extreme's it's okay for them to mock them.

I was making a hyperbole to try to explain what you seem to think is an acceptable thing to do. It's NOT okay to make fun of people just because YOU think it's okay.

it's either okay to do something or it's not- not just part of the time.
  • tom9170
    tom9170 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness as my gym away from home. It is very basic, but it works for my needs. I am really just trying to get a couple extra days of cardio/calorie burn a week and it does that. If you are looking for a simple gym and don't want to or can't afford to pay a lot, PF is fine. If you have specific wants or needs for your workouts, you better shop around.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was a member for 2 years when I lived in RI. I have no complaints about the facility or staff. It was worth the money, IMO.
  • likitisplit
    Options

#runnersarecrazy

<my not shocked face>
    I think in that environment I would be more concerned about safety rather than heat- I ran quiet a bit in the mojave desert and it get quiet warm there as well.

And yes- runnersAREcrazy LOL
    :) I kind of like them though- I don't want to do it- but I do like the fact they get it done. that makes me happy. hard work is hard work.

all this steroetyping- I wonder if I need an alarm for me when I forget to shave my legs.... or when I get a new GF?

this is all so confusing.

Badwater shows that it's possible to run safely in just about every environment if you prepare properly.

I'm not saying that you should run when it's that hot, or that joining a gym to run "comfortably" on a treadmill is bad.

I'm just saying that throwing around terms like "too hot to run" when you're from (say) North Carolina is going to have the Atlanta ladies laughing at you, unless you cite specific medical conditions.