People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think you're getting a bit obsessive about calories and you're connecting it to your 'womanliness'.

Honestly, I could eat 4000 calories a day. I'm trying to stick to 1200 so I can lose weight. However, some days, I can feel honestly full. Drinking lots of water throughout the day, eating bulky food, chewing food thoroughly etc. We don't need to overeat, those habits came from somewhere. Physical hunger and emotional hunger are different. Maybe the people who regularly get full at lower calories have sorted through some of those emotional issues.

....or, possibly, they aren't in there 60s and sedentary so they require more to maintain the quality of their fitness.

Or they never had emotional issues with food.

I don't cook and the act of preparing a meal is my own personal hell. I eat because I have to and frankly, I turn into a Bigger "B" Witch, if I don't. Not everyone has emotional issues.
  • RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    depends what i eat, i have about 1200 - 1500 cals a day, if i had a full english breakfast it could use up about 600-700 calories and im starving but lunch time then have a 400 cal lunch and a 500 cal dinner which is way over my calorie goal but then i could eat a bowl of all bran cereal which is about 200 cals and be fine until lunch time and 400 cal lunch and 500 cal dinner and some fruit in between for snacks and be on or around my 1200 cal goal. theres plently of things that are less calories, healthier and keep you fuller for longer it just depends if you research your foods or if just eat anything you want as long as you try not to go over your calories.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and I can be perfectly happy on 1200 calories each day as long as I make good choices that satisfy my hunger.

That doesn't mean to say that I judge anyone who has to eat more (or indeed, less) and on occasions, I also have to eat more to be satisfied but for the majority of the time - I feel absolutely fine.

People need to find a way for themselves and to eat as they feel comfortable. This is not set in stone and is free to change whenever they feel ready :)

Kaela x
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi you all,

I'm putting myself out there...and I'm feeling you gonna beat me.... :bigsmile:

So, I'm 5´4´´, sedentary work (all day at a desk in front of an computer), 144.8lbs.
    MFP tells me to eat 1450cal a day, with 6 workout/week for a total of 1200cal minimum/week.
    Additionally I avoid to use the lift and choose the stair (work in a 5th floor).

My weekly routine:
    I wake up every day at 6:15 to do my exercises.
    After that, shower, breakfast time and at 8:15 I'm on my way to work .
    I have a morning snack around 11:00 and around 14:00 I have lunch.
    Afternoon snack around 17:30 and dinner at 20:00

Some days I have difficulty reaching 1450cals a day....and I mean...without eating back my calories...
    What I aim for its the net above 1200.
    For today, without the dinner I already had 1136 (and I ate 1 square of Nestle Chocolate)
    However the NET is only 854, so I have to eat at least 346 at dinner, and that will be 1482 in total.... It seams doable to me...but there is no way I will be able to eat all my calories back (around 200cals will remain), and I'm not worried about it...or hungry

I plan my snacks in advanced, I take my lunch to work and I dinner at home (mine, mother or mother in law)
    I only drink water (85oz/day) and natural juices. No sodas. Alcohol only in special occasions.
    Usually
    Breakfast: Boiled Egg+dark bread+turkey sausages+fruit+coffee or Greek yogurt+fruit+muesli+coffee
    Morning snack: 25g nuts + 1 or 2 pieces of fruit
    Lunch: soup+raw vegetables+7oz meat+some carbs+fruit
    Afternoon Snack: Greek yogurt+fruit+muesli or 1 or 2 pieces of fruit
    Dinner: soup+cooked vegetables+7oz fish+fruit

I try to follow some rules that my grandma taught me, because they apply to my lifestyle:
    1. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!"
    2. Main meals: first the fruit and the soup, then the main course. She used to do this to guarantee that we ate our vitamins and that we felt full by the end of the meal

I still have some day's where I eat all my 1450 and My exercise cals - I'm a Human - but usually that happens in the days we go out to dinner, or go out with some friends to lunch on weekends.

I eat fries and fried food! Just don't cook them in oil, like my grandma used to do, I use a healthier alternative:
    http://tfalactifry.com/

Being hungry and crave for something is different. I'm never hungry, but sometimes I crave for something and I indulge when I can :happy:

I love you.

Anyways, what the OP was saying wasn't as controversial as some are making out. There are medical exceptions to everything and guess what? When OPs make a comment, they're making a comment, it's unlikely they've bulking the medical cases into it.

Also, yeah, I find it irritating that it is 80% pay for course for those overly promoting 1000-1200 calories as super easy and "I have no appetite" but it is up to the reader to see behind it and choose to hang onto it.

Personally, I'm not interested in reading and following people on my feed that are active and eat an actually healthy, nutritious diet and not one that is purely based on 1000 calories and low fat jelly. Keep it.

Also, if so many people were so satisfied with eating that level of calories (that would be low for anyone over 5') then there'd be no such thing as these sites, a multi billion dollar diet industry and a rise in obesity and overweight individuals.
    But then for others, it would the opposite.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lying about whether or not you were full would be the weirdest thing in the world to lie about.

Well, it's like the celebs who go "I've got a high metabolism" "I do 20mins of my fitness DVD week" etc. They don't want to show how f-ing boring, miserable and regimented stick in on such a low calorie diet is.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A lot of diet plans don't watch macros. MFP's plan only does so tangentially. I think the convo starts out about calories and then macros are dragged in as evidence that the person eating low cal could not possibly be 'doing it right'. There are various schools of thought on whether it's beneficial or even wise to micromanage your diet to the extent that is popular here. That's all I'm saying. Not everyone feels the need to aim for X grams fat and Y grams protein and it's not 'wrong' or uneducated. I would go so far as to say most authorities in the field (outside the bodybuilding world) don't recommend it. They recommend choosing healthy, filling, whole foods and not trying to become a scientist with your diet. They would even recommend against calorie counting, usually. There are major drawbacks to the incessant counting for most people. So more data is not always better for all.

I'm enjoying looking at the nitty gritty of my food consumption every day, and discussing and debating (civilly when possible), but I think you make an excellent point here.
  • Tlink34
    Tlink34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I need evert bit of that 1800-2000 calories when I am running and working out pretty hard. No way I get stuffed on 800 calories..unless it's one meal..lol
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A lot of diet plans don't watch macros. MFP's plan only does so tangentially. I think the convo starts out about calories and then macros are dragged in as evidence that the person eating low cal could not possibly be 'doing it right'. There are various schools of thought on whether it's beneficial or even wise to micromanage your diet to the extent that is popular here. That's all I'm saying. Not everyone feels the need to aim for X grams fat and Y grams protein and it's not 'wrong' or uneducated. I would go so far as to say most authorities in the field (outside the bodybuilding world) don't recommend it. They recommend choosing healthy, filling, whole foods and not trying to become a scientist with your diet. They would even recommend against calorie counting, usually. There are major drawbacks to the incessant counting for most people. So more data is not always better for all.

I'm enjoying looking at the nitty gritty of my food consumption every day, and discussing and debating (civilly when possible), but I think you make an excellent point here.
    No surprise there.

Well, if it's any consolation, I noticed yesterday that you corrected me in the whoosh thread (water in fat cells versus glycogen) and thought that very likely you were right and I was wrong. So thank you for that.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    Try eating 300cals of mushrooms and tell me you arent full...
    Well not really, but im just making the point that its actually very easy to feel extremely full of very little calories....

I.e one of my fave meals is 4 flat bread mushrooms, stuffed, topped with loads of cottage cheese with toms and spring onion, with a chargrilled chicken breat... a big one... im a bg eater and thats a HUGE plate of food the leaves me stuffed.... and its only 500cals.... just sayin :)

All the best with the journey
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are e

ither eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

Yes, it can be true cause when for example i eatgreen salad i really feel full or even pasta that i prefer to bread in 100-120 gr of portion.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try eating 300cals of mushrooms and tell me you arent full...
    Well not really, but im just making the point that its actually very easy to feel extremely full of very little calories....

I.e one of my fave meals is 4 flat bread mushrooms, stuffed, topped with loads of cottage cheese with toms and spring onion, with a chargrilled chicken breat... a big one... im a bg eater and thats a HUGE plate of food the leaves me stuffed.... and its only 500cals.... just sayin :)

All the best with the journey

^This is how I am TOO underweight. I weigh 81 pounds and I am 5'5". I eat a TON of veg - nuts, seeds, dry cottage cheese, boiled eggs, little fish and/or yogurt. Lots of spices and high volume items like soup (almost every night). I realize that this type of eating is only appealing to someone who gradually switches to 'minimal' eating but it's a hell of change to me when I did consume only 900 cal's per/day. Now it's more like 1100 calories.
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How much protein did you eat?
    How much fat did you eat?
    On average, about 230 grams of protein and about 42 grams of fat.

It varies based on what I make the family for dinner -- I can eat whatever I choose the rest of the day -- and on stuff like whether there were any good avocados at the store, how much butter I feel like using to cook my eggs, and the size of grilled chicken breasts I happen to pull out of the ziplock.

Sometimes the protein is a little lower if I eat more fruit for breakfast or pasta for dinner. Sometimes it's a little higher if I have eggs or chicken for breakfast and beef for dinner.

I don't see the point of adding butter to my broccoli solely for the sake of adding calories. I don't see the point of adding gravy or a pan sauce to my "dry" chicken when super-hot salsa is available instead. Maybe one day I'll realize what a fool I've been but, until then, I can be satisfied on 1500 calories a day, satisfied that I've dropped about 32 pounds so far, and satisfied that I am allowing myself a reasonable amount of macros (and taking a multivitamin for the micros).

Even though I will still be an extremely large human being even at 10% body fat -- I'll never again see the south side of 200 pounds unless I am gravely ill -- 1500ish calories is enough for me and probably will be until I hit my body fat goal and go into maintenance on the way to surplus.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I am 6'9", 303 pounds.

Lean body mass is an estimated 230 pounds, give or take, so that's where I got the number. The fat number is, ballpark, 25% of my calories, but that depends some on how tempting the whole milk and ice cream are on a given day.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I am 6'9", 303 pounds.

Lean body mass is an estimated 230 pounds, give or take, so that's where I got the number. The fat number is, ballpark, 25% of my calories, but that depends some on how tempting the whole milk and ice cream are on a given day.
    Well first off I'd like to say that deep down I hate you for being 6'9". Maybe I'm so short because you got on line twice. Grrrrr.

With those stats I would say the biggest issue is then probably you overall caloric intake. Your BMR alone would put you over 2100 and in reality there should be no reason for you to ever limit yourself to 1500 range. You're obviously going to do what pleases you but that fat intake really should be at least 30g higher. You're a big guy and you really should find that middle ground on eating.
    I suspect the calories will start sliding up as I start lifting more. I didn't limit myself to 1500, per se. I tried to figure out a reasonable amount of protein for someone my size and it turned out that, at least for now, the 230g grams was pretty filling. Given that, I tried to allocate the rest at least marginally coherently.

I'd like to keep a 1000 deficit for a while still, but my body might tell me that that's incompatible with lifting progression at some point. Even so, another 30g of fat would easily fit in with that goal. Again, though, I wasn't posting to seem fixated on 1500 or on my current intake, only to say that it's more than feasible for even a gargantuan man to feel satiated with 1500 calories.

I do appreciate the input. I'm not ignoring it, even if I don't implement it right this nanosecond.