The objective of this forum

Options
12346»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

1. The 900th thread posted for the same damned thing, and someone can't be bothers to @#$%ing use the search function.

MFP guidelines: "a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic."

I get that when you have been here a while it gets tedious to see the same questions or "wrong ideas" discussed over and over again. I suspect that is why we get so many snarky unhelpful responses. Even the good guys get tired of explaining the same thing over and over. But it's helpful for us to participate in a conversation first hand.

Why are you quoting me then posting a non-relevant bit of "guidelines?"

No one was belittled. Now, if someone gets all sandy bottom over it, boo hoo. Every time people get sandy bottom over this, Memet Oz wins. DO YOU WANT OZ TO WIN?

Sorry, it was unclear, I see that now. I did not mean that you belittled anyone. I meant only that I interpret the guideline's support of "duplicate topics" to encourage posters to start their own conversations on topics. Lots of times I DO use the search button, but every once in a while I want to start my own conversation. Glad to see you responded with humour.

There's a difference between belittling somebody for posting duplicate topics and raging about people using the search button.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    OOoooh a mean people thread it must be a day of the week.

FIFY
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so mean?
    We're mostly trying to lose weight which means a degree of calorie restriction which means a corresponding degree of irritability. Also people need a lot of willpower and motivation to keep it up which means if other people even unintentionally cast doubt on their methodologies it's easy for that to make them crack if they don't keep up a strict dogmatic attitude to their methods.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    yf4cXad.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some of the topics posted here are baffling, sad, confusing. The ones that are most irritating to me are : "can I eat ______ calories day and be okay?" and "I eat ____ calories and I'm so full I can't meet my calorie goals".

Why don't we just validate them, let them do their thing, and then when it fails, they can come back ready for new knowledge.
    I don't think validation is appropriate, but truthfulness is. Sometimes the truth is interpreted as meanness, or "haters" as some people say. I'm getting to the point to where I am tired of responding to these types of threads.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Is it not supposed to be for people to ask questions and get help? Instead you just see people post pointless topics in order to start controversy. If a certain lifestyle is right for someone else but isn't right for you why bash it? I just don't understand, let them do what works for them and you do you. No reason to shame people for the choices they make and the foods they decide to eat.
    So, what help regarding diet and weight loss were you seeking with this question? Or. . . .
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Is it not supposed to be for people to ask questions and get help?
    It's not. The purpose of this forum is to generate traffic and thus ad views, which produce revenue for the site owners.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Quite ironic imo.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some of the topics posted here are baffling, sad, confusing. The ones that are most irritating to me are : "can I eat ______ calories day and be okay?" and "I eat ____ calories and I'm so full I can't meet my calorie goals".

Why don't we just validate them, let them do their thing, and then when it fails, they can come back ready for new knowledge.
    I don't think validation is appropriate, but truthfulness is. Sometimes the truth is interpreted as meanness, or "haters" as some people say. I'm getting to the point to where I am tired of responding to these types of threads.

We should probably just post sexypants and maybe trog's thing. You don't so much see SideSteel around anymore...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

We should probably just post sexypants and maybe trog's thing. You don't so much see SideSteel around anymore...

You, by the way, are hardly a meanie. I haven't seen anything but helpful comments. I can say the same for lots of "old timers" here. And even the ones who come across as abrupt in some threads I see making kind supportive comments in others. I haven't yet felt offended personally, but I do cringe when I see someone in a vulnerable emotional state get overwhelmed.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You, by the way, are hardly a meanie. I haven't seen anything but helpful comments. I can say the same for lots of "old timers" here. And even the ones who come across as abrupt in some threads I see making kind supportive comments in others. I haven't yet felt offended personally, but I do cringe when I see someone in a vulnerable emotional state get overwhelmed.

I have, in fact, been berated for my insensitivity and lack of compassion on these very forums.

And I've seen stupider comments directed at others too.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I have, in fact, been berated for my insensitivity and lack of compassion on these very forums.

I agree that posters often escalate the negativity. In their defense, they are sometimes left without an option for a graceful exit. Tough to have their shining misguided optimism about an idea turn into public humiliation.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I agree that posters often escalate the negativity. In their defense, they are sometimes left without an option for a graceful exit. Tough to have their shining misguided optimism about an idea turn into public humiliation.

I have also, personally, been publicly spanked in the forums. Acknowledge where you were wrong, admit the need for more work on your part, ignore anything that feels like an attack. If all else fails, walk away from the thread for a day or more.

I'd hate to have to interact professionally with some of these people.

ETA - if you are legitimately being unfairly treated, I can guarantee that regular posters are reporting the offending posts.