Calling All Non-Moms Again!

Options

Replies

• anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Options
    So, I had no reason to be nervous. I was afraid that I wasn't burning enough calories. I set out to burn 600 on the elliptical; I burned 700 in an hour!!! It was a great feeling!!! It kept me going booking it but I loved it! I also kept track of how many calories I burned while doing my ab routine which takes about 20 minutes and consists of 200 crunches, 100 side to sides with an 8 lb ball, 50 leg lifts, and 50 situps with an 8 lb ball; that burned 130 calories. Just for the fun of it, I kept the wearlink on after I left when I met my fianace for dinner (nothing fancy as I was gross, just Chick fil a) and then for my "quick" Walmart ru, I burned another 453 calories in just under 1.5 hours. I Stayed within my calorie range and didn't eat any exercise calories. I REALLY want to be out of the 240s by the new year.

Let the games begin!!!!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    So, I had no reason to be nervous. I was afraid that I wasn't burning enough calories. I set out to burn 600 on the elliptical; I burned 700 in an hour!!! It was a great feeling!!! It kept me going booking it but I loved it! I also kept track of how many calories I burned while doing my ab routine which takes about 20 minutes and consists of 200 crunches, 100 side to sides with an 8 lb ball, 50 leg lifts, and 50 situps with an 8 lb ball; that burned 130 calories. Just for the fun of it, I kept the wearlink on after I left when I met my fianace for dinner (nothing fancy as I was gross, just Chick fil a) and then for my "quick" Walmart ru, I burned another 453 calories in just under 1.5 hours. I Stayed within my calorie range and didn't eat any exercise calories. I REALLY want to be out of the 240s by the new year.

Let the games begin!!!!

Thats great... I read a post on here that if you have a HRM that you need to make sure you subtract what you would have already burned doing normal daily routines. So if you take your basic metabolic rate and divide it by 24 (24 hours in a day) then you know how many calories you will normally burn an hour. Then you subtract that from your exercise etc. to see what you burned that was more then your normal caloric output. Does that make sense?
  • anewpath
    Options
    Thats great... I read a post on here that if you have a HRM that you need to make sure you subtract what you would have already burned doing normal daily routines. So if you take your basic metabolic rate and divide it by 24 (24 hours in a day) then you know how many calories you will normally burn an hour. Then you subtract that from your exercise etc. to see what you burned that was more then your normal caloric output. Does that make sense?
    [/quote]

That does make sense but how do you determine your basic metabolic rate?
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    There is a BMR calculator on here under tools.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I didn't gain or lose which I am happy about. I ate well last week but did have a few too many drinks. It was when I got home, I got the munchies. LOL!

Back to the grind yesterday. Went to my first workout in a week which felt great but was also pretty exhausting. Today I woke up kind of stuffy but not going to let that get me down.

Have a great week non-moms!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    hahahahahah i love this. Non-Moms? i've finally found a group i fit in!!!
  • 6ftbombshell
    Options
    I guess you could say I'm a half non-mom?! :) Have a little cousin, running joke in the family is that she's my "kid" but i didnt give birth to her. I love that girl to death though, spoil her as well when i see her. :) Anyways, this is my second day ever on MFP, my first official day of dieting--erm watching what i eat. :) I would love to be in an active group that will keep me motivated and if needs be a "Jillian Michaels" when i start to slack.

Little bit about me, I'm 22, college student from Michigan, working on Accounting degree. always was the fat kid, recently (this time last year) lost 20 lbs down to 200, and now its back, thank you freshman 15! :(

Anything else just ask! I'm not very good at introductions. lol
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Anewpath, that's fantastic! I used my HRM today to do NMTZ, a Jillian Michaels weight training workout that is 45 minutes long and found out it burns 448-ish (can't remember exactly now) calories. We are having more vegetable soup tonight and I might just make scones. Still battling the 25s in my BMI and boy are they coming down sslllooowwwlllly. Argh. I am an impatient woman with a stubborn body! I used to get so annoyed with women who complained the weight loss slowed the nearer they got to a healthy weight. I'm sorry for that, karma, I really am. Please forgive me.

I'm hormonal and really worrying about my mom right now. She's back in Ohio and having some personal problems and I really wish I could be there for her. It's so difficult over Skype and with a five hour time difference. I'm having to exercise every ounce of self-control within myself to not stress-eat all the chocolate in the house. I'm not throwing it away. We always have chocolate here and I have a couple of squares every couple of nights (sometimes every night) as long as I get all my fruits and veggies in first. I try to eat some of my exercise calories, but I keep having to convince myself that extra calories do not mean extra chocolate. Moderation. Sigh.

Welcome 6ftbombshell, miko, and anyone else who's new. How's everyone doing today?
  • anewpath
    Options
    There is a BMR calculator on here under tools.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Thank you!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    ?
  • anewpath
    Options
    Ok, just used the tool and it says I burn 1,829 daily which is 76.2 calories an hour. Is that right? It seems rather low. Some days are more active than others for me at work. Most days are in the office, on the computer putting cases together but some days can be crazy. I like variety.

Have a great day!!!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Ok, just used the tool and it says I burn 1,829 daily which is 76.2 calories an hour. Is that right? It seems rather low. Some days are more active than others for me at work. Most days are in the office, on the computer putting cases together but some days can be crazy. I like variety.

Have a great day!!!

That's just calculating how many calories you would burn laying in bed all day long. So being more active would definitely change that number. However, for the purposes of backing out the calories you would have burned doing nothing from your exercise burn, it's probably fine.
  • 6ftbombshell
    Options
    Thanks! I hope your mom will be alright ickybella, juste remember things will get better eventually. :)

If you feel really tempted to eat all the chocolate, have someone hide it for you, that way you have to spend those extra calories looking for it. :)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    welcome to all the newbies! love that there are so many non-moms kicking it!

i hope your mom is okay soon ickybella! i know what you mean about personal issues for the mom - mine just went through a nasty bout of issues when her fiance backed out of their wedding a couple months ago (my dad died about 9 years ago). yep - not a happy camper. but they are still together and trying to work things out, which is wonderful if that's what she really wants, even though i would have kicked his *kitten* to the curb if it had been myself...they'll figure it out...

anyhoo, this week is kind of a crapper. i keep snacking on unhealthy stuff, been craving popcorn, and my self discipline has been very lax. but i have been working out on my usual schedule, so that's something good - i *love* working out! i *hate* eating healthy! but it could definitely be worse...

someone, please, kick my *kitten*. but gently. :tongue:

happy tuesday everyone!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    *kicks chanstriste13's butt*

you can do it! just focus on one thing you want to improve in your eating. :)

Alrighty all, the thread for recipes for two adults has been posted in the recipes area. Post away!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Well I had a lovely start to my day. One of my chocolate labs got injured, so I had to take her to the vet. Last month my 1 year old male chocolate lab injured his foot playing in the field next to our house (stepped on a thorn, got infected, blew up to the size of a baseball) I had to take him to the vet, have it lanced, drained, antibiotics for 4 weeks (the first 2 weeks anbx didnt suffice, so we had to go back and do another round). He finally just got feeilng better all of last week. Now this morning my 3 year old female chocolate lab ran to the field next to our house. Its a cul-de-sac that construction on houses has not begun, but they put up the short little construction fence around the edges of the street. Well she apparently thought she could clear the thing, but was mistaken. She gashed her chest open. So as we speak she is in surgery, they are cleaning out the wound, and sewing it shut. I get to go pick her up in a few hours after she recovers from the sedatives. :( I swear, my dogs are breaking the bank! At least they have very loving owners who spare no expense. :grumble:

Edit: *My ticker is the picture of my male lab when he was a puppy last December. Now he weighs 85 lbs. haha.*
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Awww, poor puppy! And poor puppy mommy!!! I hope everything works out ok and they'll stay healthy from now on.
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I'm new to this forum, but am super excited to see a non-mom group that I can identify with. Julie TX86, I hope your lab recovers quickly - and stops jumping fences! :smile:
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am going to post pictures of them in my profile in the next few minutes. (I have pictures of their injuries but I wouldn't dare post them. The girls injury today is too gruesome. Yuck. *just in case somebody was mistaken that I was about to post those pictures, haha* Thank you for the best wishes! We just got a call from the vet, she is in recovery. She tolerated the surgery and sedation well. I get to go pick her up in an hour. :)

Edit to update: I posted a few pictures in my profile of my beatiful pups. :) Maelee (the 3 yr old female has the red collar) and Maverick (the 1 year old male has the blue collar).

I also posted some more pictures of myself, yuck... and a picture of me and my boyfriend. Oh and a nursing school photo. haha
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Julie, your dogs are very handsome! I hope they recover and stay healthy, labs are so active! and Christie-what's wrong with popcorn? I love popcorn and think of it as a low-cal snack, air-popped and sprayed with "I can't believe it's not butter" and if I want to splurge I eat it with hot tamales!
    I did 30DS last night and I am sore! but now I have the last week of Gateway to 8k and have to run 50 minutes straight tonight, wish me luck, last week was two 25-minute runs interrupted by 1 minute of walking, now no walking. Even though 1 minute wasn't much, it was something!