Do carbs make you fat?

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    People are not 100% the same. Chemical levels can affect people differently and it's not like insulin resistance is super rare and unless you actually develop diabetes, many people have no idea they have it.

This is exactly what happened to me. It took 15 yrs to fully lose enough beta cells to move me from the sub-clinical to the clinical camp. I trained heavy, took classes, spent 5 days a week at the gym, ate low fat/high carb, low meat etc.

Pfft. You wouldn't believe the frustration I had when I first got here & even though I weighed everything, had a very active job (dog walker) worked out etc, still wasn't able to put a dent in my weight....until I happened to go to the doctor for a pain in my tummy.

Casual BG of 260is mg/dl.

Long story short, I ignored the IFIFYM crowd & got with the LCHF Keto & never looked back. 34#'s later, I say, do what works for you :drinker:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    No eating makes people fat. Just stop eating.

Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic there is no good point in doing low carb.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a calorie is a calorie.

It's just a coincidence that when I eat more carbs like bread, pasta, etc..., I start gaining again and when I cut back on them, I lose those extra pounds. It's probably totally because carbs don't fill me up at all so I'm hungry an hour later, so end up eating more. If I stick to mostly fat and protein, I stay satisfied longer and end up eating less total calories over the entire day. I swear I could eat an entire box of cereal or a loaf of bread and still eat a meal afterwards. I have a couple eggs or some full fat cheese and I'm good for most of the day,
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I'm not fat.

That is my anecdotal evidence you are wrong.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Just out of curiosity is anyone in the "carbs make me fat" crowd actually monitoring their body composition or just going off scale weight?

By maintaining a diet of an average of 65/g per day of carbs, over the last year and a half I've lost almost 60 pounds and nearly 80 inches. My body fat has gone from 36% to 27% (using a handheld gadget, not a chart).

I did A LOT of experimenting, tinkering, and researching before finally discovering what worked for my body. If I go over 100 grams of carbs, especially if it's a lot of starchy carbs, I gain weight even if I am eating at a deficit. 1400 calories of high carb and I gain weight. 1400 calories of low carb and I lose weight. Yes, this defies all of what science says but for me it's truth.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make me fat, but a lot of carby foods make me hungry. Food shouldn't make you hungry. It should make you not hungry. Or at least less hungry. T'ain't natural, I tell you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    People are not 100% the same. Chemical levels can affect people differently and it's not like insulin resistance is super rare and unless you actually develop diabetes, many people have no idea they have it.

tumblr_mtay0pgxlu1qg0u2xo1_500.gif

This is exactly what happened to me. It took 15 yrs to fully lose enough beta cells to move me from the sub-clinical to the clinical camp. I trained heavy, took classes, spent 5 days a week at the gym, ate low fat/high carb, low meat etc.

Pfft. You wouldn't believe the frustration I had when I first got here & even though I weighed everything, had a very active job (dog walker) worked out etc, still wasn't able to put a dent in my weight....until I happened to go to the doctor for a pain in my tummy.

Long story short, I ignored the IFIFYM crowd & got with the LCHF Keto & never looked back. 34#'s later, I say, do what works for you :drinker:

If you are making a point to hit certain numbers on your LCHF Keto, you are practicing IIFYM. IIFYM can be applied to all kinds of eating styles - all it says is to choose foods that allow you to hit your numbers. There is no specific type of food one has to eat to do IIFYM.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

If you are making a point to hit certain numbers on your LCHF Keto, you are practicing IIFYM. IIFYM can be applied to all kinds of eating styles - all it says is to choose foods that allow you to hit your numbers. There is no specific type of food one has to eat to do IIFYM.

Maybe I was hasty....the MFP crowd who promotes 'everything in moderation'...if that isn't the IIFYM crowd, then I apologize.
    Either way, no moderation for me.

And truth be told, the only numbers I'm trying to hit is < 20 g carb per day, as much fat as I can possibly eat & a bit of protein. Since I'm still losing weight, I'm supposing I'm at a deficit.

To put a finer point on things, I don't count calories, just eliminated all sugar & starch from my diet.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I'm not fat.

That is my anecdotal evidence you are wrong.

I like anecdotal evidence. I am trying to gain weight (bulk). I eat too much carbs. I drink too much beer. I am gaining too little weight. My conclusion is beer is a magical weight loss vehicle.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity is anyone in the "carbs make me fat" crowd actually monitoring their body composition or just going off scale weight?

Both. And the simple fact that my body is inefficient at processing carbs.

If your body was inefficient at processing carbs that would mean that you get LESS calorically from carbs compared to most people which would mean that eating carbs for you would give you less calories and therefore do the opposite of what you are saying.

Do you mean that you are more efficient at processing carbs?

You clearly don't know what insulin resistance is.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Both. And the simple fact that my body is inefficient at processing carbs.

If your body was inefficient at processing carbs that would mean that you get LESS calorically from carbs compared to most people which would mean that eating carbs for you would give you less calories and therefore do the opposite of what you are saying.

Do you mean that you are more efficient at processing carbs?

You clearly don't know what insulin resistance is.

Why are you concluding that?
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello Meredith

The conventional wisdom out there will drive you nuts..Perhaps some new know how is in order in your case...

Its not carbs thats making you fat...Whats occuring based on your extensive personal experience which will also verify my reply..

Is your body has identified the key resource for unwanted body fat.. That resource is call the Lipolytic ezymne..

The good news is you have great data.. you have an enoromus learning relationship with your body food energy library to pull from.

Whats occuring is this some the type of carbs you eat is allowing tis fat burning enzyme to stimulate production and poytency as well as grow in number. the more food energy you give them the more unwanted body fat deweaponizes..

Notice i did not say calories..These enzymes operate on food value and your proetin number (Pn#) not a calorie calculation. they could care less about the calories you eating as you have witnessed.. they want to know just how much fertilizer is available to conquer and beat back the crab grass of fat. The type of carbs you eat in combination with protein supercharge lypolytic enzymes and other type of cards stripped or not in tandem with protein do little to give these enzyme warriors to go on

Certain foods in combination spawn enormous life force of enzymes that go to work like savages on body fat. So for you you dont wnat to limit carbs if you like them so much.. you want to pair those suspect carbs with the protein amount your body needs to keep the fat cell from getting out of hand.

That way you can eat all the carbs you like while controlling unwanted body fat..

What would work for you immensely is knowing the food frequency formula, creating a food energy plan, and a performing food energy audit..

The first step is to measure your replenishment index (Rpndx%)
    No calorie counting or special food limiting...
    You will most likely be consuming more carbs with greater lifeforce value..

I love my chips and pasta and breads..I simply a just my protein number to offset low food energy value and bamm I deweaponize fat magnets no sweat..

cardio only 12 to 20 minutes..2 times a week..

as you do not want to become a slave to the process as so many millions are doing using the calorie method.

If you wnat to know how I know all this lets chat.. im here to make fiends
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ^That sounds like a whole bunch of crap. For starters, where does the energy go that the enzymes would supposedly release when they "go to town" on your fat storages? It can't poof into nothingness and your body has no need for it unless you raise your TDEE.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello Meredith

The conventional wisdom out there will drive you nuts..Perhaps some new know how is in order in your case...

Its not carbs thats making you fat...Whats occuring based on your extensive personal experience which will also verify my reply..

Is your body has identified the key resource for unwanted body fat.. That resource is call the Lipolytic ezymne..

The good news is you have great data.. you have an enoromus learning relationship with your body food energy library to pull from.

Whats occuring is this some the type of carbs you eat is allowing tis fat burning enzyme to stimulate production and poytency as well as grow in number. the more food energy you give them the more unwanted body fat deweaponizes..

Notice i did not say calories..These enzymes operate on food value and your proetin number (Pn#) not a calorie calculation. they could care less about the calories you eating as you have witnessed.. they want to know just how much fertilizer is available to conquer and beat back the crab grass of fat. The type of carbs you eat in combination with protein supercharge lypolytic enzymes and other type of cards stripped or not in tandem with protein do little to give these enzyme warriors to go on

Certain foods in combination spawn enormous life force of enzymes that go to work like savages on body fat. So for you you dont wnat to limit carbs if you like them so much.. you want to pair those suspect carbs with the protein amount your body needs to keep the fat cell from getting out of hand.

That way you can eat all the carbs you like while controlling unwanted body fat..

What would work for you immensely is knowing the food frequency formula, creating a food energy plan, and a performing food energy audit..

I love my chips and pasta and breads..I simply a just my protein number to offset low food energy value and bamm I deweaponize fat magnets no sweat..

as you do not want to become a slave to the process as so many millions are doing using the calorie method.

LOL wut?
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make me fat, but a lot of carby foods make me hungry. Food shouldn't make you hungry. It should make you not hungry. Or at least less hungry. T'ain't natural, I tell you.

This is my main issue with carbs. Sugars and starches make me hungry for more sugars and starches. That exactly matches the pattern that got most of us here and to do something about it and lose that extra weight. Calorie deficits will drop those pounds, but going back to a low fat high carb diet without always counting calories will just repeat the same familiar weight gain cycle. Cut the carbs and eat more fat and you break that cycle of overeating because you're always hungry.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hello Meredith

Oh, I thought the magic protein # gave you a life force energy that made you rip your clothes off?

So now our magic protein # AND replenishment index need to be in check for effortless weight loss?

Please, just take my money!

I don't even want to question this logic.

I'm sure whatever your selling is the golden ticket based on this clear logic!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hello Meredith

hoTOCBy.gif
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes, every crab you ever consume will make you fat.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Hello Meredith

How incredibly devilish of you.

thumbsup_zpsa288e621.jpg
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOLLL right