Replies

• mommy2maddox
    mommy2maddox Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    37 yrs old
    5' 7"
    148 lbs, 11.7% bf
    1800-2200 cals/day
    I lift heavy 6x a week and am dieting for a physique competition.

Tips: Respect your body and fuel it accordingly. Don't rush...it'll take however long it takes. This needs to be for the rest of your life, so just relax and enjoy watching the changes as they come :)

... oh, and lift weights.

EVERYTHING she said! Oh and, DANG GIRL! AMAZING!
  • Journeygirl
    Journeygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Very helpful tips!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, 5'8, 340 lbs (started at 410), desk job and work out 3 times a week sometimes more if i can, eat between 1900 and 2300 cals a day. I've lost 70 lbs in about 9 months. The only tips I have are eat within your macros, lift weights, stay moving. If you have an off day, don't let it get you bummed and don't give up because of it.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth mentioning that its not about the raw number of calories you eat, it's about the deficit you create. How large a person you are, how much you have left to lose, how active you are, your age etc... Will all factor in.

1200 calories might be "undereating" for some, but it might be what is necessary to lose for others. I know when I started my weightloss journey I could drop weight and still eat 1500-1800 calories (plus exercise calories). Now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight, that level won't get me weightloss anymore. Your BMR will drop as your weight drops.

Don't let other people's numbers bother you. Everyone's math is different! And don't judge others as "undereating" because it might be exactly what their body needs.

As far as tips? I'd say that not all calories are created equal. Aim for high fiber or high protein foods.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1) Age: 29
    2) Height: 5' 11"
    3) Weight: 240
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.): Walking 3-4 times a week, 30mins 4.5mph on treadmill
    5) Calories / day: 1860 + 1 meal a week where I eat out and don't count. (I am breastfeeding)
    6) Tips? Count everything.Buy a food scale. Don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't move. I often stay the same for a while and then BAM ill lose 3 or 4 pounds at once.

+ how many lbs/week you're losing: It's not consistent, but in the last 30 days I' lost 13lbs
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1) age: 24
    2) height: 5'4" - 164cm
    3) weight: 230lbs - started from 265lbs
    4) activity: walk 6days a week 30-60 mins
    5) kcals: 1700-2300 depending on mood
    6) tip: stop eating at 6-7pm and go to bed around midnight. reason: 1. sleep much better 2. i run out of calories 3. i am not hungry

in 3 months 35 lbs loss
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi

1. 42
    2. 5'7"
    3. 128 (started jan 14 at 153)
    4. Moderately active, SAHM, walk everywhere, 3 x 30 min workouts per week on average, hand weights at home
    5. Cals average 1700 - 1800 and have lost steadily since January
    6. My only tip would be to try and adopt a slightly better way of eating / lifestyle without thinking about 'being on a diet'. Self deprivation doesnt work in the long term and if you log carefully and dont go crazy on portion size then there is no reason why you can't enjoy the things you love. Slow and steady wins this race!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Height: 5'10"

Weight: starting weight 196, now around 188 (not weighed myself for about three weeks)

Lifestyle: Mon-Fri I drive to a desk job. Aim to go to the gym 3-4 times a week for boot camp classes or running and weights, but some weeks it might only be 2x. I'm more active on weekends as I do a lot more walking than during the week, but then again I tend to eat out more and drink some alcohol!

Calories / day: MFP gives me 1720 a day for sedentary (down from 1790 at the start), and about 1900 for a lightly active day

any tips you can provide me :D - it can help to think about averaging your calories over the week rather than stressing about going under/over each day (see my answer to lifestyle above!). Seems to work for me ok as I tend not to eat back many exercise calories during week but this balances out a higher weekend intake.

+ how many lbs/week you're losing: I was 9.5lb down after 10 weeks, losing steadily almost 1lb a week (set MFP to 0.5 a week). I then went on holiday and put on about 2-3 lbs which I am now trying to lose, 3 weeks later I'm slacking a bit and treats are starting to slip back in - however, if I can get myself back to the discipline of my first 10 weeks there's no reason to think I can't carry on losing 0.5-1lb a week on my current level.
  • BusyCyclist
    BusyCyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great thread!!!

1) age: 32
    2) height: 5'5" - 167cm
    3) weight: starting 180 lbs - now 174 lbs, lost about 6 Ibs over the last 6 weeks
    4) activity: 30 Day Shred every day and I walk about 30 mins most days
    5) kcals: 1700-1800, about TDEE minus 20%, 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat
    6) Exercise is the key for me. I don't really deny myself anything and I log everything. I think the macros are important too, but I have problems meeting the goals.

At the beginning my weight just wasn't going down, but now it is. My body looks great and I feel much better. I am trying to get out of a cycle of loosing and gaining weight.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you could be so kind as to list your
    1) Age 34
    2) Height 5ft 8in
    3) Weight 210
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.) Very Active 15000+ steps a day, strength training every other
    5) Calories / day currently 2000-2200
    6) any tips you can provide me :D Just make sure the deficit is there and you will lose

+ how many lbs/week you're losing 1.4 pounds a week

My calorie intake has been as low as 1500 and as high as 2200 depending on how active I am or if Im sick etc, right now its above 2000/day
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1) Age: 41
    2) Height: 5' 7
    3) Weight: 126, 57 pounds from my highest weight (not including pregnancy, obviously)
    4) Exercise: I lift 4x a week, ride my bike 40 minutes a day 4-5 days a week on average, and I rarely sit down. I garden, I hit the heavy bag, I play with my kids, I stand and pace, etc. I try to keep moving most of the time.
    5) Calories: I gain on anything over 2600 and I lose on anything under 1850. Right now, I'm eating in the 1650-1900 range because I'm lowering body fat.
    6) Tips: Do what you love when it comes to exercise, and just try to keep moving. You don't have to do what everyone else does. If you want to lift, lift. If you want to walk, walk. If you want to dance, dance. It all burns calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Everyone here is so supportive and encouraging! Just looking for more inspiration :) Thank you

^ Take that back! You take that back, now! :tongue:
  • Cby60
    Cby60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I am new to MFP and am looking for inspiration :)

I just wanted some experience from other women who are currently losing on high calorie intake!

If you could be so kind as to list your
    1) Age - 54
    2) Height - 5'4"
    3) Weight - 144 started in January at 167
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.) - have desk job. Try to bike, roller blade and mow grass 5 x / week for one hour
    5) Calories / day started with intermittent fasting and very low calories. Lost weight quickly but got tired easily. Plateaued and then upped calories to 1200-1400 on average and this week the scale is moving down and I did no exercise this week until I mowed the lawn today.
    6) any tips you can provide me : I learnt that too few calories is not the answer.... People around me always said weight loss is math, calories in bs calories out. Eating more and having energy to exercise is important too.

+ how many lbs/week you're losing

Everyone here is so supportive and encouraging! Just looking for more inspiration :) Thank you
    Edited by cjl2535 On June 23, 2014 8:46 PM
  • runsoborun
    runsoborun Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1) Age - 38
    2) Height -5'4
    3) Weight 185 (I'm down 10 pounds)
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.)- Walk/Run on the tred mill- 25 Mins - 3 days a week. Lift weights twice a week (full body)
    5) Calories / day - 1600- 1800 calories
    6) any tips you can provide me :D - Remember to eat! I've gotten as low as 1300 and I honestly do not feel good at all
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'6
    CW: 168
    Calories: Intuitive (about 1800-2000 most days)

I just stopped restricting calories in last 2 weeks cuz it's turned out to be a big FAIL. Yup, I lost weight for awhile, including muscle, and slowed my metabolism... I do still log my food, but only AFTER. I'm interested in the macros and still seeing how many calories I consume when I'm allowed as many as I want.

For me it's all about the FOOD. Yes, calories matter a bit but CICO is just so over-simplified that it's almost worthless. And the obsessive monitoring of calories is futile and illogical (cuz our metabolic system is far more complex than just simple cico math).
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    1) Age - 39
    2) Height - 5'5"
    3) Weight - Started- 261(April 29, 2014), Current - 236
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.) - I have a desk job 40 hours a week. First couple weeks none, then past 6 weeks I do a couple days a week of cardio(walking or elliptical or zumba), this week I started the stronglifts 5x5.
    5) Calories / day - 1720
    6) any tips you can provide me :D - Hit your macros, don't deprive yourself. I keep my carbs a little lower than MFP shows because I have type 2 diabetes. But I'm not low carb. Usually like 180 a day. Drink lots of water. Move your body!

+ how many lbs/week you're losing - About two a week now, first two weeks was a lot, i had a week that i didn't lose or gain.

Feel free to add me.
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1) 51
    2) 5'-8"
    3) 275 (started at 384, so down almost 110 lbs)
    4) It varies, but I typically do aqua aerobics 3x/week and hike 2x/week.
    5) I cycle my calories. I'll spend 1-3 weeks in the 1600-1900 range (which is as low as I go), then add 100 calories to that, once a week until I'm up in the 2300-2600 range. Depending on how I feel (fed, deprived, hungry, satisfied, etc.) I'll stay there until I'm ready to go down again. My intent is to add weight lifting when I'm at a higher calorie time, but I haven't done that yet. Oddly, the pace of my weight loss doesn't change significantly whether I'm at a lower or higher calorie range. I'm guessing that's because my activity level increases with more calories. Not on purpose. I just seem to have more energy. So I am considering just staying at the higher calorie range to see what that does.
    6) Go slow. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If you are feeling deprived or hungry, you won't last. Enjoy life during the process and just let the "process" become, life.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth mentioning that its not about the raw number of calories you eat, it's about the deficit you create. How large a person you are, how much you have left to lose, how active you are, your age etc... Will all factor in.

1200 calories might be "undereating" for some, but it might be what is necessary to lose for others. I know when I started my weightloss journey I could drop weight and still eat 1500-1800 calories (plus exercise calories). Now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight, that level won't get me weightloss anymore. Your BMR will drop as your weight drops.

Don't let other people's numbers bother you. Everyone's math is different! And don't judge others as "undereating" because it might be exactly what their body needs.

As far as tips? I'd say that not all calories are created equal. Aim for high fiber or high protein foods.

QFT. Also true with calorie burn---when we first start working out, our larger bodies burn more calories (bummer for those of us who are smaller now and don't burn as many even though we still work so hard!) and that allows you to have more cals. That was my whole point with my post; I am 50lbs smaller than I was and have to work out A LOT to be able to eat as much as I did when I was 50lbs heavier OR I can just eat less. I choose the food (and exercise b/c I love it!)
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    1) 32
    2) 5'9"
    3) Started at 230, now at 206
    4) Exercise on average 4 days a week, 30 mins/ day. Usually I do two days of cardio (uphill walking) and two days of pilates, yoga, or light weightlifting.
    5) 1930
    6) Tips: start with small changes, then build on your success. Be patient, kind, but extremely persistent with yourself. Change habits in ways you can sustain for the long term. Recognize that your worth as a human being is not contingent on your ability to have a skinny body- you deserve to eat well and enjoy your body no matter what you look like or weigh.

I'm set for 0.5 lbs/week weight loss, but that's very much an average; like many other folks, I tend to stay around the same weight for a few weeks then suddenly drop a few pounds.
  • mbinig
    mbinig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1) 42
    2) 5'4
    3) 223
    4) Light activity. I sit at a computer much of the day, but I also do a lot of house work and walk, or do exercise dvd's 2-3 times a week
    5) 1800/day plus I eat back my activity calories
    6) Look for an overall downward trend, and don't freak on the days you gain a pound (hormones can do strange things).

I have been on MFP since April, and I have lost about 8 pounds, so I guess I lose about 1/2 to 1 pound a week. It will probably take 2 years to lose all I want to lose, but I think slow and steady wins the race!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!