Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    1) 35
    2) 5'7"
    3) Started at 214.8, down to 155
    4) Workout about 5-6 days per week. 4 days of heavy lifting, walk almost every day and I try to get in 2 days of running or biking per week. I have a desk job so I sit for 9 hours a day (includes my drive to and from work).
    5) Over 2100 calories per day, eat most or all of my exercise calories back
    6) Pick up those heavy weights!

At maintenance now, not trying to lose anymore pounds.

Edited to add more.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1. 21
    2. 5'6.5"
    3. Starting 171 lbs,current 150/151 lbs depending on what the scale is feeling like.Lost it gradually over 4 months.
    5. I don't exercise as such and have a desk job.But I do have to walk for 20-30 minutes everyday as a part of daily routine though.
    4. Like 1650-1800 on normal days,I do go over several times though,especially on weekends when I've to drink and eat out.
    6. Not much since I don't exercise.I barely regulate my macros and eat everything I like in moderation. But even though I'm not sure,I'll mention that I feel as though I drop weight faster when I eat high fiber foods and drink more water.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this site-I started at 222 4 weeks ago-Bad Colonoscopy and decided to eat clean -all fruits and veges no more red meat-Lost 16 pounds first three weeks then the scale began to rise but I look smaller-So no more scale for me untill the 15th of each month. My calories for today is 1700. Eating like I have been for the past 4 weeks. Uping the cardio tho. So something is working
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you could be so kind as to list your
    1) 27 years old
    2) 6'
    3) 175
    4) I run between 5 and 10K a week on average. I have a pretty active job so I usually hit 10,000 steps before I get home. I try to do pushups/plank challenges here at home. The last few weeks have been different for me, as my dog tore a ligament and I'm home taking care of her.
    5) To lose 1 lb/week I start at 1820 cals/day. Usually with exercise it's somewhere between 2100-2400 a day.
    6) It's a marathon, not a sprint. The more I eat and the slower I lose (the more gradual of a change it is), the more likely I am to stick with it.

Feel free to add me! I am a "eat whatever you want" IIFYM kind of girl
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    1) 36 years old
    2) 5 foot 2
    3) 240
    4) I exercise 4 days a week--1 or 2 with my trainer, 1 or 2 on my own and I recently started a yoga class. I also live in a city so I walk and take public transport instead of driving so that adds steps
    5) I wanted to lose .5 a week but have ended up losing like 1 lb a week without a lot of calorie restricting. I eat 1900-2100 calories a day, over a week it averages to about 2000/day
    6) like a lot of people I just don't think I will be able to keep weight off if I eat too little and don't eat the foods I enjoy like fancy cheeses. I just eat smaller portions of these things less frequently now and exercise more. I will lower my calorie intake when MFP suggests though.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    bump :)
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    1) 31
    2) 5'3"
    3) 348
    4) Sedentary
    5) 1870 (automatic setting for 2lb/wk)
    6) logging is everything. no quick adds. take the time to look things up/input recipes.

I'm losing about 2lbs per week. I finish most days just under the calorie goal, I end up with a minor splurge about every 12 days.

Hope this helps!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth mentioning that its not about the raw number of calories you eat, it's about the deficit you create. How large a person you are, how much you have left to lose, how active you are, your age etc... Will all factor in.

1200 calories might be "undereating" for some, but it might be what is necessary to lose for others. I know when I started my weightloss journey I could drop weight and still eat 1500-1800 calories (plus exercise calories). Now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight, that level won't get me weightloss anymore. Your BMR will drop as your weight drops.

Don't let other people's numbers bother you. Everyone's math is different! And don't judge others as "undereating" because it might be exactly what their body needs.

As far as tips? I'd say that not all calories are created equal. Aim for high fiber or high protein foods.

QFT. Also true with calorie burn---when we first start working out, our larger bodies burn more calories (bummer for those of us who are smaller now and don't burn as many even though we still work so hard!) and that allows you to have more cals. That was my whole point with my post; I am 50lbs smaller than I was and have to work out A LOT to be able to eat as much as I did when I was 50lbs heavier OR I can just eat less. I choose the food (and exercise b/c I love it!)

Quoted because there are very few who need to eat 1200 to lose weight.

When I started my TDEE was 1990...it is now 2100...I weigh 53 lbs less now...but I can eat more due to my exercise.

BMR may drop a bit but you can burn more by keeping muscle which means strength training...my bmr went up just like my TDEE.

As for as the "quality of calories" vs "quantity" not for weight loss....
  • cjl2535
    Options
    Everyone who's replied, thank you :)

You guys keep me so motivated!!! WOO
  • caimay175
    caimay175 Posts: 42
    Options
    1) Age: 28
    2) Height: 5'8
    3) Weight : 205
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.) 3 x weight lifting sessions a week, normally in excess of 6/7 hours of cardio a week, sometimes as much as 10-12 hours.
    5) Calories / day: 1800-2000
    6) any tips you can provide me :D Find the magic number where you are losing weight but feel like it's pretty easy. If you're struggling, dreaming about food - you're not eating enough.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    1) Age: 33

2) Height: 5'8"

3) Weight: 166lbs

4) Lifestyle: heavy lifting 4x/week for about 30-45 minutes, running 4x/week about 25 miles total

5) Calories/day: I try to stay in the 2300-2600 range, but I'm usually closer to the 2600 :laugh: I don't like feeling hungry!

6) Tips: heavy weights with a barbell, I just started running again about 3 weeks ago, but for the last two months it was ONLY weight lifting, I do the running because I enjoy it and it'll keep me active over the summer, but it's the weight lifting that makes the biggest changes to your physique.

Since I've only got about 6lbs left, I'm aiming for around a half pound per week, but adding in the running again has me stalled out right now, if I don't see the scale start moving again by next month I'll start thinking about being stricter with my intake but I try to avoid that at all costs! :laugh:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    1) Age... 42
    2) Height 5' 11
    3) Weight 194... 41 pounds down
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.) lift heavy for me 3x a week, and I try to get to 10,000 steps on my fitbit a day.
    5) Calories / day usually wind up in the 1800 range, sometimes a little more.
    6) any tips you can provide me :D ...log your food and use a food scale for everything, enjoy a few treats in moderation, and be happy.

96ca0a41b40ac0b99abe4aafbc77f35ad44e.jpg
    96cafcdd975eb797302b8c81711409af4b7a.jpg

Thank you so much for your pictures! Your progress looks AMAZING :D what kind of fitbit do you own??
    thanks and sorry I didnt check back...I have Fitbit One and I love it.
  • cjl2535
    Options

4) Lifestyle: heavy lifting 4x/week for about 30-45 minutes, running 4x/week about 25 miles total

5) Calories/day: I try to stay in the 2300-2600 range, but I'm usually closer to the 2600 :laugh: I don't like feeling hungry!

6) Tips: heavy weights with a barbell, I just started running again about 3 weeks ago, but for the last two months it was ONLY weight lifting, I do the running because I enjoy it and it'll keep me active over the summer, but it's the weight lifting that makes the biggest changes to your physique.

Since I've only got about 6lbs left, I'm aiming for around a half pound per week, but adding in the running again has me stalled out right now, if I don't see the scale start moving again by next month I'll start thinking about being stricter with my intake but I try to avoid that at all costs! :laugh:

Hey! May I ask how much you were eating to lose the pounds that you lost ? :D
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I've been eating at right around this amount since I want to say December? Before that since I had more to lose I was probably netting around 1800. One important thing to keep in mind though, I use TDEE, so I eat the exact same amount of calories every day, but I DON'T eat back any exercise calories. I might eat more on days when I've had a long run or something like that, but I "try" to keep that average around the 2500-2600 marker.
  • cjl2535
    Options

I've been eating at right around this amount since I want to say December? Before that since I had more to lose I was probably netting around 1800. One important thing to keep in mind though, I use TDEE, so I eat the exact same amount of calories every day, but I DON'T eat back any exercise calories. I might eat more on days when I've had a long run or something like that, but I "try" to keep that average around the 2500-2600 marker.

Thank you so much for your reply :D Hmm I'm still confused as to what the term "netting" means =/ does this mean you eat 1800 calories in food per day??
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Netting is when you eat based on MFP's settings so I might eat 2200 calories, exercise 400 and "net" 1800 calories for the day. After a while I just got fed up trying to guess how many calories I was going to have available for dinner so I switched to TDEE instead. So on a day when I've run 10 miles I might actually only "net" 1600 calories for the day, but on a short lifting day I might "net" 2400 calories. TDEE lets me average all that out and just gives me one daily calorie goal to aim for, no guess work needed.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    1) 32
    2) 5'6
    3) 140
    4) Training for an ultramarathon in October so I'm running anywhere from 70-100km+ per week
    5) It's been fluctuating lately but overall I average about 2600/day. I eat way more on long run days and my regular calories on rest days. When I'm not training I maintain on about 2200 calories.
    6) When it comes to food, restrict nothing! The first half my weight loss was done without any exercise, just eating anything as long as it was within my calorie allowance. It doesn't feel like a struggle to maintain because nothing has ever been off limits.
  • cjl2535
    Options
    Netting is when you eat based on MFP's settings so I might eat 2200 calories, exercise 400 and "net" 1800 calories for the day. After a while I just got fed up trying to guess how many calories I was going to have available for dinner so I switched to TDEE instead. So on a day when I've run 10 miles I might actually only "net" 1600 calories for the day, but on a short lifting day I might "net" 2400 calories. TDEE lets me average all that out and just gives me one daily calorie goal to aim for, no guess work needed.

Oh I see ! Thank you so much for clearing that up for me :D
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    1) 36
    2) 5'2"
    3) 102
    4) I dance and perform regularly. I lift weights 2 to 4 times a week. I walk at least 40 minutes a day or more (as transportation). I am active and play with my children.
    5) I'm on maintenance now and I usually eat 1900 plus. If I stick at 1900, I will begin to lose. To lose weight I ate 1800 a day and lost a half a pound a week, but I only lost 5 or 10 pounds at most.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    5'9"
    I run three - four days a week (average 15 miles) and do body weight exercises three days a week.
    I maintain at 2400 + exercise and lose a pound a week at 1900 + exercise.

My tip: focus on what you can do rather than what you look like.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!