Quality of food or quantity, which is more important to you?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So anyhow, if I had this false dichotomy of choice between appropriate food quantity (as measured in calories) and appropriate food quality (as measured in...uh, nutrient density? Healthfulness? Whatever the measurement is)...

I would rather have sufficient quantity of calories from my food but lacking quality than sufficient quality but lacking quantity. The former may lead to eventual less-than-ideal health from some undefined deficiency, but the latter will very quickly lead to death (assuming the lacking quantity is scaled as I continue to lose weight.

Of course, like I opened, it's a false dichotomy. There is no either-or. The questions are mutually exclusive. Do you have sufficient (or better, *appropriate*) calories ("quantity")? Do you have sufficient nutrition ("quality")?

And finally, my favorite question...

Which is healthier? A daily diet of 2000 calories of pizza or a daily diet of 2000 calories of organic broccoli? (Of course, you'll never see this study done because the latter group will suffer from debilitating health issues...or death.)

TL;DR - false dichotomies are false and context matters.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare too...as evidenced by my need to complete HIPAA training.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm obviously an expert so anything I say should be taken as truth regardless of my lack of cites to support and any other references to the contrary...

...because healthcare.

I thought it was your rock-hard abs that should cause us to take any statements of yours as gospel?

I thought it was his surliness.

That's how I choose whose statements to take as gospel anyway.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    No idea how you're defining "quality" but I'd say both.

Steak? I like prime, so quality.

Ice cream? I like quality, so Blue Bell.

Broccoli? I can't tell one floret from another. Quantity.
  • laineretail
    laineretail Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am morbidly obese and quantity is the most important to me. I overeat (my portions were too large) and I had a binge about every 10 days (not tv worthy binging, but you know, a whole bag of candy type thing). Logging, even if I'm not weighing keeps me accountable.

I started just by cutting down the bad stuff. People who are much smaller than me still cringe at my diary. The thing is, after a week or so of the small portions of bad stuff you get hungry. REALLY hungry. Then you have to start the shifting. You have to add in veggies, you have to lower the carbs and dressings and sauces, because if you don't you feel like you are starving because there simply isn't enough nutrition in the bad stuff to keep you going.

I recently made enchiladas. As I entered all the various ingredients one really surprised me. One tortilla was 250 cal. If I hadn't been logging I would have never, ever guessed it to be so high. So next time I buy tortillas, I will be label reading. I'm sure there is a better brand or option, I just didn't know that was a problem ingredient.

Quantity first, but when you are really hungry you will either give up or make different choices.

I think this post got lost in the middle of the sugar/cancer/heart disease posts. This post and cwolfman's (the second one on this thread) pretty much sums it up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So anyhow, if I had this false dichotomy of choice between appropriate food quantity (as measured in calories) and appropriate food quality (as measured in...uh, nutrient density? Healthfulness? Whatever the measurement is)...

I would rather have sufficient quantity of calories from my food but lacking quality than sufficient quality but lacking quantity. The former may lead to eventual less-than-ideal health from some undefined deficiency, but the latter will very quickly lead to death (assuming the lacking quantity is scaled as I continue to lose weight.

Of course, like I opened, it's a false dichotomy. There is no either-or. The questions are mutually exclusive. Do you have sufficient (or better, *appropriate*) calories ("quantity")? Do you have sufficient nutrition ("quality")?

And finally, my favorite question...

Which is healthier? A daily diet of 2000 calories of pizza or a daily diet of 2000 calories of organic broccoli? (Of course, you'll never see this study done because the latter group will suffer from debilitating health issues...or death.)

TL;DR - false dichotomies are false and context matters.

Perfect answer is perfect.

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg?region=name:FrontCenter,id:49518965,w:16
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's always funny what people include in "junk" food.

IMO, if it comes in a box or a bag or a can it's probably "junk food." That definition is very broad and there are certainly exceptions but basically it works. And, yes, everyone is going to consume some junk food. My concern lies with people who eat ONLY junk food. Their diaries are full of cereals, bars, fruit snacks, frozen meals, pre-made dinners, etc. but very little (or no) meat or dairy or veggies or fruit. That's totally their choice and no business of mine. But I do wonder if they are aware that this is not really the best food they could be eating and I feel a measure of concern for them. As a society, we are dangerously ignorant about nutrition.
    [/quote

Just so you are aware this is a global website, not all countries and cultures are the same. I don't know where you are from because it doesn't say on your page and yes fresh is best, but not all countries have a billion additives in food that is packaged just cos it's packaged. In america I saw pasta sauces with so many additives in it I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but my American friends thought it was ok and healthy. If that is what you are referring to, cool then say American culture or speak of the culture you are referring to.

I personally used canned tomatoes in my meals, I read all labels, in my country we have laws that mean we have to show every ingredient and thankfully the nutritional information isn't just in percentages but in actual calorie amounts.

I haven't been the greatest at this but I think the cleaner you eat the better, quality is best. I do think eating treats that fit into your macros is fine but not everyday IMO, but it works for some, I personally don't lose weight easily and even treat food that fits in your macros seems to stop my weight loss all together. Keeping it as fresh as possible is great, but a few tins and packages here and there is fine as long as it doesn't have stupid additives like corn syrup.

Awesome response!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Awesome response!

So you won't open your diary? You won't cite your sources to back up your claim? You won't explain your obsession with the exclamation point? I have one more question:

You make all these claims... if you were so healthy you have been here for just under a year and your ticker says you have lost 10 lbs with a lot more to go... but I'm supposed to follow what you say blindly?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Awesome response!

So you won't open your diary? You won't cite your sources to back up your claim? You won't explain your obsession with the exclamation point? I have one more question:

You make all these claims... if you were so healthy you have been here for just under a year and your ticker says you have lost 10 lbs with a lot more to go... but I'm supposed to follow what you say blindly?

That's the way quackery works.
  • 59gi
    Options
    For the people that think I've been on this site for a year, they are wrong. Just started using this site, but been a healthy eater all my life.

My weight started to rise because of my portion being too large.

The reason I will not respond to insults is because it's not worth it to me to argue the point. I just made a contribution to a topic, take it or leave, it is up to you.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    For the people that think I've been on this site for a year, they are wrong. Just started using this site, but been a healthy eater all my life.

The reason I will not respond to insults is because it's not worth it to me to argue the point. I just made a contribution to a topic, take it or leave, it is up to you.
    you made no contribution. you told people they were wrong despite providing sources, and you claim to have sources to your information yet seem to be unable to provide any.

you joined mfp in august of 2013 btw, thats just shy of a year

ETA; also, no insults, just asking to provide sources. is that an insult to you, to ask you to prove what you claim to be fact despite numerous people providing valid information that states otherwise?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So the quantity ended up being the most important factor for you.

Got it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

You haven't been insulted, your claims with nothing to support them have been criticized. As for thinking you have been here almost a year let's see right under your picture it says Aug 2013 that would be just shy of a year.

You also haven't been insulted, if you believe so vehemently then you should be able to show studies to back it up. And I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions... I won't hold my breath
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Got it.

So she admits it's not sugar...she just ate too much. Mind = BLOWN!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Knee jerk reaction is, of course, quality.

However, on my budget, I just do what I can. So, until I am bringing in more money, quantity. I can buy fresh veggies and fruit, but meat is expensive (my only option for shopping is Wal Mart or a farmer's market - I use the latter for my fruits and vegetables, but they only carry pork where meat is concerned and I seldom eat pork - I have no car or other means of transportation... I mean, yeah, there's the bus - but my social anxiety makes me freak out when I try it). I do try to eat as much fresh food as I can, and try to get in my servings of fruits and vegetables, etc. But most days, I just do what I can and try to at least meet my macros and goals.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Got it.

So she admits it's not sugar...she just ate too much. Mind = BLOWN!

I think we found the real folly now y'all
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Your contribution to this topic was making some strong claims and using exclamation points as your evidence. People asked for more than that and you are were not able to provide anything else, except that you work in health care. And after all of that, you admit that you gained weight by eating too many calories. No worries if you feel it is not worth arguing because you really have nothing to argue about at this point.
  • 59gi
    Options
    Great!
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Knee jerk reaction is, of course, quality.

However, on my budget, I just do what I can. So, until I am bringing in more money, quantity. I can buy fresh veggies and fruit, but meat is expensive (my only option for shopping is Wal Mart or a farmer's market - I use the latter for my fruits and vegetables, but they only carry pork where meat is concerned and I seldom eat pork - I have no car or other means of transportation... I mean, yeah, there's the bus - but my social anxiety makes me freak out when I try it). I do try to eat as much fresh food as I can, and try to get in my servings of fruits and vegetables, etc. But most days, I just do what I can and try to at least meet my macros and goals.
    Same here. I do what I can to eat nutritious and fresh food, but I'm a student, currently not working, and it can be difficult sometimes to eat good quality food. I try to eat a lot of salad and bananas purely because I can afford that. I also treat myself to other fresh fruit and avocados when they go on sale. But otherwise, my diet is pretty high in pasta and chicken. Ah well.

That said, both quality and quantity are equally important. It's just that it's easier for me to meet calorie goals rather than nutritional goals (but I certainly try)