Quality of food or quantity, which is more important to you?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

According to this study, if you are obese and had had colon cancer, a diet heavy in complex carbs may lead to a recurrence of the disease... far from causing the disease...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Although the results point to a potential hazard of a high-carbohydrate diet for colon cancer patients, the take-home message is not a conclusive “Eat less sugar,” said lead author Jeffrey Meyerhardt, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School (HMS).
  • J72FIT
    Options

This study as well is only if you already have cancer... nothing about causing cancer.
  • J72FIT
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Knee jerk reaction is, of course, quality.

However, on my budget, I just do what I can. So, until I am bringing in more money, quantity. I can buy fresh veggies and fruit, but meat is expensive (my only option for shopping is Wal Mart or a farmer's market - I use the latter for my fruits and vegetables, but they only carry pork where meat is concerned and I seldom eat pork - I have no car or other means of transportation... I mean, yeah, there's the bus - but my social anxiety makes me freak out when I try it). I do try to eat as much fresh food as I can, and try to get in my servings of fruits and vegetables, etc. But most days, I just do what I can and try to at least meet my macros and goals.

This is related to what I keep thinking with respect to the original question.

Specifically, it doesn't make much sense.

Most people don't really have to choose between quality and quantity. First, from a weight loss perspective, why would you? Second, there is a set quantity (calories) that I choose to eat. I can satisfy those calories with food that I consider high quality (a subjective measure, of course) or with food that I consider low quality. Obviously I choose that I consider high quality and assume that everyone else does too (although how we evaluate that differs because, again, subjective), but this does not mean and there's no reason why it should mean that I'm somehow sacrificing quantity. The quantity is the same. And if "quantity" means volume, not calories, then I of course care about that too--I like having a decent amount to eat--but that tends to mean more vegetables which seem to me high quality. What is this low quality/high quantity food that dieters are allegedly filling up on?

Beyond this, there are of course circumstances in which humans arguably have to choose between quality and quantity. Those are situations where the person in question faces a genuine shortage of food or otherwise lacks access to adequate calories. Under those circumstances, I frankly don't believe there's one person here who would actually choose "quality" over quantity. If you are starving, you'll eat what's available, period, and put a premium on having enough calories even if they come in the form of, say, much maligned bread rather than, I dunno, cake. But perhaps I'm wrong, according to the people here who are so sure that quality is always better, and the people who would choose bread are worthless slobs who should just eat cake.
  • J72FIT
    Options

"Results: Carbohydrate and sucrose intake were not associated with overall pancreatic cancer risk in this cohort."

"The associations of glycemic load and fructose intakes with pancreatic cancer risk were most apparent among women with elevated body mass index (≥25 kg/m2) or with low physical activity."

"Conclusion: Our data support other findings that impaired glucose metabolism may play a role in pancreatic cancer etiology. A diet high in glycemic load may increase the risk of pancreatic cancer in women who already have an underlying degree of insulin resistance."

So according to this study...

1. Carbs and sucrose was not associated with risk.

2. Fructose intake and pancreatic risk were elevated with overweight, sedentary women.

Hardly a smoking gun...
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Wow. Still at it. :noway:
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Although the results point to a potential hazard of a high-carbohydrate diet for colon cancer patients, the take-home message is not a conclusive “Eat less sugar,” said lead author Jeffrey Meyerhardt, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School (HMS).

YOU FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    A bit of both. If something is the MOST NUTRITIOUS THING EVER but is super itty bitty and won't keep me full, then what's the point? I want to eat as much as I can! In order to do that, I HAVE to eat good quality food. So doesn't quantity and quality come hand in hand?
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Quality! Definitely! Always have been. I just ate too much of it before!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I like quality, but quality is subjective, it may mean one thing to me, another to you, yet another to somebody else. Quantity is what fits within my calorie goal for the day.

I weigh my solids and measure my liquids. I meet my macros first and then if I want a treat I have it as long as I am within my calories.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Quality, I make most of my meals from scratch. I have noticed that quality food makes me feel more satiated then food with a lot of chems, sugar, etc. I weigh my food as well, I feel it is more precise seeing as how this calorie counting is essentially a numbers game
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

YOU FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think you know how to comprehend what you are reading in these instances. You may need some sugar in your life.
  • J72FIT
    Options

"Scientists don’t have a clear understanding why sugar may raise the risk of dying from heart disease,"

–So they admit they don't know...

"Yang said. Sugar may increase blood pressure and weight gain, both risk factors for heart disease,"

–The association seems more about being overweight then it does about sugar consumption directly...