Phone Usage in the gym

Options
123457»

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I spend more time on my phone in the gym than actually lifting weights.

I really do not care at all what anyone thinks.I know what I'm doing in the gym.

It's a gym. Not a crossfit box. Not a circuit training facility. Rest between sets is the norm.

Great example. Self involved with no consideration of those around them.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this...

I don't see how someone using their own phone inconveniences you at all :huh:

There's a special place in Planet Fitness for those who like to complain about what other people are doing in the gym.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I use mine to log between sets. If that's issue, then sue me..sue me with fire!!!
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I will take the exact same amount of time to finish an exercise whether I am using my phone or not. I definitely spend more time resting than lifting. At least twice as long depending how heavy I am lifting. If I am doing 1 rm I will likely rest 5x longer than I spend lifting.

If you don't like it, sack up and come ask to work in. Don't go crying about it on the internet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I really do not care at all what anyone thinks.I know what I'm doing in the gym.

It's a gym. Not a crossfit box. Not a circuit training facility. Rest between sets is the norm.

There's a special place in Planet Fitness for those who like to complain about what other people are doing in the gym.

Management?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Agree,

Those dang whippersnappers. :laugh:

Also, I'm referring to those who are not working out for competitions or those who are really going hard. Of course, anyone who knows just a little about strength training, also knows 'resting in between sets' is necessary.... if i see you squat 400 lbs. I don't expect you to not rest. But if you are doing a normal routine and you are resting for 5 minutes in between, I was told this isn't a good method to gain strength. However, I'm no trainer. :flowerforyou:

This is incorrect.
    Research shows no difference in hypertrophy or strength results if you rest 5 minutes (vs 2)
    However, not resting enough will influence your ability to conduct a number of lifts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095405
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Agree,

Also, I'm referring to those who are not working out for competitions or those who are really going hard. Of course, anyone who knows just a little about strength training, also knows 'resting in between sets' is necessary.... if i see you squat 400 lbs. I don't expect you to not rest. But if you are doing a normal routine and you are resting for 5 minutes in between, I was told this isn't a good method to gain strength. However, I'm no trainer. :flowerforyou:

This is incorrect.
    Research shows no difference in hypertrophy or strength results if you rest 5 minutes (vs 2)
    However, not resting enough will influence your ability to conduct a number of lifts.

Not forgetting that just because I'm not squatting 400lbs it doesn't mean that I'm not lifting very heavy for me and I may need a longer rest between sets.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Management?

I was thinking the dude who writes up their nifty signage, but management would do.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    more meds and less gym time for you
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I only use my phone for music and the StrongLifts 5x5 app so I am at most pausing about 2 min. between sets -- just like almost everyone else in the weight area does using a phone, watch, or whatever.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Agree,

This is incorrect.

Not forgetting that just because I'm not squatting 400lbs it doesn't mean that I'm not lifting very heavy for me and I may need a longer rest between sets.

Use your phone between sets, but just step away while you doit so other can get a quick set in :)

We all live in the modern age, but being aware of your surroundings and other people cuts the rudeness factor down.

Plus being a mother of two teenage boys, my patience for the little annoyances in life are probably double than the average persons!

Just communicate with people a simple "can i get a set in?" while they are on the phone should send the message to move over for a minute, if it doesnt then they are publicly rude and should just be ignored.

I don't step away - but would happily let people work in if they ask.

I don't feel I should have to step away. It's not rude to stay sat on or in the piece of kit you're still using.
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you see someone using their phone while sitting on a machine, bench or whatever you planned on using just walk over and ask if you can work in between sets, if yiu can't ask that question you don't belong in a gym. What you should be annoyed about is people who don't rerack the weights or wipe off the machine when they're finished with it..
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1) Using it for music or keeping track of your workout is recommended.

2) Answering a call from your minor kids is a requirement, though if it will be a long convo, go to a non-workout area.

3) Even an emergency work call, though see (2.

4) Anything else, in a perfectly just world should be a capital offense.
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had a guy huff and puff at me because he thought I was monopolizing the tv (crappy condo gym with 1 tv) because I had the remote control near me. After he whined like a little girl, I gave him the remote and told him that he could change it to any channel he desired. I then sat back and enjoyed how his face was turning red as he realized that the remote was broken.

It's not always what you think it is.