Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Getting the app on my phone as we speak. Not sure how it is going to work with dragging 2 kids with me, but I will try! Wish I had a jogging stroller right about now! Anyone else doing it with their kids? I bet I could get my 4 year old to run the shorter times with me, otherwise he could ride his bike.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I started jogging a couple of months ago and I started with C25K, but I only stuck with it for about 3 weeks. After that I decided to follow my own "plan" so now I jog/walk around my block (about 2.1 miles) 4-5 times a week... I'm slowly increasing the distance that I can jog without walking. About 2.5 weeks ago I jogged a whole mile for the first time. Now I can jog almost 1.5 miles. It takes me about 17 or 18 minutes to jog that far, so I'm not going very fast... but I'm working on increasing my distance each week. I've registered for a 5K in October so I want to be able to do it without walking. Once I can do the full 3.1 miles without walking, I'm going to try improving my time. One thing that really helped was to get real running shoes. I went to a local running shop and got fitted for a good pair of shoes and got some good quality socks. Before I got good shoes and socks, my feet and knees would hurt after running, but now they're good. It also helps that I spent over $150 on the shoes and socks, so I feel like I need to use them or I've wasted my money. It also helps that my husband has started running too, so we encourage each other. He's already far surpassed me (he can already jog a whole 5K) but I don't mind. :) I doubt he would have started running if I didn't try it first, and I doubt I'd have tried it without guidance from C25K. Good luck everyone and don't be scared to modify it if you need to; the important thing is to KEEP TRYING.
  • replesco
    replesco Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 last night!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 day 1. Gonna do 2 day today.Glad to have others to talk to
  • stephmorinn
    stephmorinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 day 1-- at 10:30pm. I really wanted to skip my run last night but I went out and did it anyway and felt so, so good after.

Around minute 16/17 I start to hurt and want to stop, but after 20 minutes I could really keep going.

That is terrific! Good for you for not skipping it! It was probably much cooler at 10:30 then earlier in the day. I didn't run last night but I went for a 6k bike ride over hilly terrain with my oldest son and we got caught in a terrible rain storm LOL I was a drowned rat by the time we arrived at my Mother In-Laws. Hoping to get my run in tonight though!! :smile:

Oh it WAS. We had some pretty severe thunderstorms this side of Chicago a few days ago, so the humidity is almost non-existent now. It was probably 60 or so degrees and breezy. Hallelujah :wink:

A bike ride sounds amazing, though I think I'd be so interested in cruising I wouldn't pump enough! Let me know how your run goes later, I'm going out again tonight.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just started my first day today. Love the app!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just starting it. I can run a little so i'm starting on week 2 day 1. let's see what happens.....
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 complete, even ran 11 minutes after the program ended to get home. Slowed my pace and got so much further! :) Proud moment, glad to be making progress!
  • breasyd2
    breasyd2 Posts: 32
    Options
    Just finished week 3, day 3 earlier!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning is W4D2 for me and I'm a little apprehensive. W4D1 was the workout that finally got me as I couldn't quite complete the last five minute jogging segment without walking. Tomorrow I'm going to slow my pace in the first intervals and see if that helps. If not...I don't mind repeating a week if it comes to that.

I use the C25K app from Active and I like it. I wanted to use the Zen Labs app since it partners with mfp but I have not been able to figure out how to create a playlist for it...so if I wanted to listen to music while running, it does access my "sounds", which includes all ringtones and various notifications. Not really what I wanted, so I'm sticking with the Active app.

I just hit the playlist tab in the app and it connected to my playlist on my phone...
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    im in a biggest loser contest so i started doing 2 of the c25k workouts a day .. it beats the hell out of me but its showing great results.. im not new to running ..just was lazy about it the last year or so .. its like riding a bike ..my body's memory is picking up
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just competed Week 1 Day 1. I was happy that I was able to use Pandora at the same time!

I like it so far but was wondering why it didn't post my exercise into my diary when I was done. I linked it to MFP when I completed the workout. Does anyone know what it's supposed to do by linking here?

I might try using my Map My Fitness app at the same time to track my speeds and calories burned.
  • dp135
    dp135 Posts: 12
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I installed it and it appeared to link to MFP but I still do not see it logged.
    I like it. Cute app ;=)

Happy 4th everyone!
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    I used to run 5-7 miles a day before my knee injury. Now I'm thinking I'll start c25k to get back into it without putting too much pressure on myself. I've never used it before, so.. what do you guys think? Will it be ok for that?
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just did week 2, day 1 today.

Almost died.
    Keyword being almost.

I survived, and am now convinced I can do this (especially if the weather cools down a little!). And so can you :)

Edit: I run MapMyWalk (which syncs wih MFP) and RunDouble (what I'm using for c25k) simultaneously, so when I get to the 'cooldown' part, I open MMW, save my workout (so it doesn't lose my speed), and it posts to MFP. There's probably a way to make RunDouble do it itself, I just haven't found it yet. Plus, I usually walk a couple of km to and then back from wherever I do my run (I don't have a car), so using MMW tracks the rest of my walk.
  • stephmorinn
    stephmorinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 complete, even ran 11 minutes after the program ended to get home. Slowed my pace and got so much further! :) Proud moment, glad to be making progress!

WOWZA, way to go!! I've been dreading the thought of week 5 (perhaps I shouldn't, I'll psych myself out).
    How do you feel today?
  • dp135
    dp135 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just competed Week 1 Day 1. I was happy that I was able to use Pandora at the same time!

I like it so far but was wondering why it didn't post my exercise into my diary when I was done. I linked it to MFP when I completed the workout. Does anyone know what it's supposed to do by linking here?

I might try using my Map My Fitness app at the same time to track my speeds and calories burned.

I upgraded to pro as I wondered if that would help. I do not think it is different, other than no ads, which is good too. I then installed FREE to do a mock day and look at the data send info and I realized on the page with the apps on the phone, I did not hit SEND in the upper right hand corner. Once I did that, it sent to MFP after logging me in,
  • valb1983
    valb1983 Posts: 18
    Options

When you complete the workout and the prompt comes up of sharing click the mfp icon then click send ( top right of the screen on iPhone, don't know if it's the same for android but I would expect the app to look the same)
    What this does is logs your c25k training for the day on mfp showing how many calories you burned and what exercise you did :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    So inspiring seeing all you guys post, thank you all for sharing and please keep us updated will be great to read other people progress :-). I done wk 1 dy 2 yesterday and pushed myself a little harder, surprisingly I recovered quicker and ache less today than I was expecting and oh boy what a great feeling.
    I must admit the later weeks look very daunting, but I will stay positive and keep trying until I get there.

Feel free to add me as a friend, the more the merrier :) keep going guys you're all doing fantastic and it's giving me great motivation thank you all xx

The next week always looks daunting, but it is a tested programme. If you follow the programme, fuel and rest properly you will be stronger when you get there. If it is too difficult, you can always repeat the previous sessions, to build conditioning. I am starting week 4 today and not looking forward to 5 mins continuous running and week5 day3 just scares me too. But I will stay in the moment, do my best today, and let week 5 sort itself out when I get there.
  • lubylu37
    lubylu37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just started it and on week 1 day 3, feeling good so far but suffering with hayfever which is making my chest feel really tight and heavy so not got the motivation to do it as I can't breathe lol ... but I will, I like the app and can't wait for week 2.