Hunting vs. Endangered Hunting

Options
167891012»

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also you assume nature has a sense of balance.
    Let me give you a hint. It doesn't. You're assuming that because wolves are there suddenly they are going to thin the herds by taking only what they need during a certain time. Let me clear things up with you. Wolves have been known to slaughter entire herds and not because they were hungry but because they got a dopamine high.
    Actually, nature does have a sense of balance. If wolves depopulate a region of prey they will have less food which will in turn cull their numbers. IOW, the rate of change of a wolf population is positively affected by the deer population and the rate of change of the deer population is negatively affected by the wolf population.

It's a system of linear differential equations. Its solution, assuming a reasonable initial state and certain conditions on the surrounding ecosystem, is an oscillating equilibrium. Queenbish should know more about this than I do.

In theory, yes that's the basics of it. We do however need some clarification here. Neither the wolves or their prey will self regulate at the population level, but in a healthy ecosystem predatory species will exert a top down control on other species in the system and control their numbers while the predators themselves are controlled by the amount of prey available and the resulting starvation that will occur if they outproduce their food source.

But that's the basics, you start throwing in human impact and removal of predators from the system and the mathematical models used for trying to predict outcomes become exponentially more complicated. And North American ecosystems are typically so far from their natural state that it's almost impossible to apply traditional models.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on consuming road kill?
    [/quote] one of the tastiest deer in our freezer was a roadkill. And if my bow shooting practise tonite is any indication nothing is endangered yet.;)
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on consuming road kill?
    one of the tastiest deer in our freezer was a roadkill. And if my bow shooting practise tonite is any indication nothing is endangered yet.;)
    [/quote]

It's funny. I have a cookbook on road kill.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/kendall-takes-wild-facebook-controversy

To get a little more opinions of this subject, I wanted to post it on here rather than my hometown area! The link above is a girl who apparently hunts as well as hunt endangered mammals! At first, I was shocked! How can a little gal like that take on a huge-*kitten* elephant hahaha :) It is pretty sad though seeing her hunt those types of animals (as well as other people who do the same). I am all for hunting deer or whatever type of "legal" wildlife is around during hunting season, but what is the reward for killing an exotic animal?

I am from a rural/country lifestyle community so I get the pros/cons of hunting, but I wanted a more wide variety of opinions on this subject! I am NOT (repeat NOT) trying to start anything or causing ruffled feathers, I am just curious!

Thanks Everyone!

Generally people will get their panties in a wad about OMG, killing threatened animals! Without giving thought to the economic impact. There are a lot of animal refuges in Africa, that need income in order to continue to act as refuges. They also can support a certain amount of animals, otherwise the entire population has the chance to die slowly due to starvation as resources are quickly exhausted.

Some hunters will pay 10-20-30k or more to go down there, hire guides, cooks, stay in hotels, drivers, and then pay to cull an animal that the biologists and managers of that particular refuge have determined they can remove. In most cases, it's a finely tuned thing for very affluent people to indulge in. The refuge gets to survive economically and ecologically, and rich people get to do "cool stuff".

Surprisingly, it is a win for all animals involved, even the one who dies. They avoided a slow lingering death from a large predator, injury, or starvation.

I find nothing wrong with the people going to reserves and keeping them open. My issue is with the hunters who go to the midwest to hunt the high fence deer for the retard racks, and they leave the meat, only wanting the antlers.

Those are who I got beef with.

I actually find the canned hunt part of this type of thing the most disgusting. If culling is necessary is can probably be done without the douchey blood lust.

I don't hunt, but I don't think I should stop someone else from hunting and I live in an area where culling of deer is necessary for both drivers and the deer themselves.

On all other hunting matters I defer to a good friends husband who is an avid hunter and successful. His opinions of canned hunts and the people who do them is not printable on these pages.

Objecting to what is almost a fashion shoot with a dead animal does not mean everyone objects to actual responsible hunting.
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also you assume nature has a sense of balance.
    Let me give you a hint. It doesn't. You're assuming that because wolves are there suddenly they are going to thin the herds by taking only what they need during a certain time. Let me clear things up with you. Wolves have been known to slaughter entire herds and not because they were hungry but because they got a dopamine high.
    Actually, nature does have a sense of balance. If wolves depopulate a region of prey they will have less food which will in turn cull their numbers. IOW, the rate of change of a wolf population is positively affected by the deer population and the rate of change of the deer population is negatively affected by the wolf population.

It's a system of linear differential equations. Its solution, assuming a reasonable initial state and certain conditions on the surrounding ecosystem, is an oscillating equilibrium. Queenbish should know more about this than I do.

Maybe sense of balance isn't the right word.
    I'd have to say considering nature is always changing, I wouldn't call that balanced. It might put up an appearance but appearances are deceiving

Queen Bish, when you say human impact. What do you mean? What are you comparing and on what scale?
    A specie's impact isn't always good or completely good even for itself, no? Just as it isn't always bad or completely bad?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. This discussion is welcome to continue in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thread is bordering on becoming a debate between vegan/non vegans.

With respect,
    Ninerbuff
This discussion has been closed.