Obscure Film Favorites

Options

Replies

• Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh this is a great thread - reminded me of some great movies I haven't watched in a while and some I had wanted to see when they were out but had forgotten about. And the Student Bodies pic - no idea why I remember that from my childhood but could picture it as soon as I saw the name (never saw the movie though).

So my guilty pleasures

Tank Girl
    Wet Hot American Summer
    Night of the Comet
    Psycho Beach Party

2 horrible movies that I have to watch whenever they are on (not even sure why but I can't seem to stop myself)
    Event Horizon
    13 Ghosts (the remake with Tony Shaloub)

And the movie that I remember loving as a kid but that I am kind of afraid to try and watch now for fear it is actually completely horrible - Ice Pirates - I have tried to find it but then always stop myself. Thought it was great as a kid but just am afraid it could really really just be terrible and I kind of want to have fond memories of it.

I'm glad you like this thread! I didn't realize I'd get so many great responses! :)

I added everything I hadn't seen and 13 Ghosts is great! :)
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster. It was originally going to be a standard pirate movie but the script was so bad that the actors started hamming it up and they turned it into a great satire of pirate movies.

The Endless Summer (the 1966 version) where the filmmaker follows two young surfers around the world in search of the perfect wave. It is credited with starting the 60's world wide surf culture. Sounds boring but with great local characters and funny narration it is really good.

Couldn't find The Crimson Pirate but I added The Endless Summer :)
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    I like you, OP. You've really stayed involved in your thread, and not many posters actually do that. It's nice!

Thanks! I felt that I started it for my own benefit so I wanted to really see what everyone says. It makes me feel great knowing that others out there look beyond the norm too!
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a rather random list of suggestions for you:

The Brothers Bloom-a who's conning who film with Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody, and Mark Ruffalo (who was also in Catch Me if You Can, which I also found quite good-though not as obscure)

Wild Target-a hitman is supposed to kill a woman who has pulled a con on a guy, but the hitman falls for his target and he tries to protect her from the hitman sent to replace him and kill him too-plus a teen gets caught up with them-stars Bill Night, Emily Blunt, and Rupert Grint (it is a lighter dark comedy)

Wristcutters a Love Story-about a guy who kills himself after his girlfriend dumps him finds himself in a kind of Limbo world that is just a crappier version of his life before, but the main character soon finds out his ex killed herself shortly after he did so he goes to find her so they can be together. Along the way he meets and spends time with new friends (one of whom is trying to find the "People in Charge" so she can get sent back because their death was an accident not a suicide). It is a greatly overlooked film-though I think most of the ones from my list are...lol, no bias. ;) Stars Patrick Fugit, Tom Waits, and Shannyn Sossamon.

Nick & Nora'hs Infinite Playlist-I love this film! I read the book too...and even though they are different in many ways, I actually like them both. About a group of people trying to find out the venue of their favorite band (which is at a pop up location that they have to track clues to find)...but along the way they keep loosing eachother, dealing with relationship baggage, and the fun of the New York city night life. Starring Michael Cera and Kat Denning (who is also in Charlie Bartlett, which is not as obscure, but I HIGHLY recommend).

Some Kind of Wonderful-by my standards the best John Hughes film BY FAR!!!! About a guy who is a no body who falls for the most popular girl in school and when she and her boyfriend (the most popular guy in school) breakup he asks the girl of his dreams out. While his best fried has a secret crush on him, but helps him out with his fantasy girl. Starring Eric Stoltz, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Lea Thompson.

Rocky Horror Picture Show-a cult classic that shouldn't be missed. Grew up watching this film. Starring the wonderful Tim Curry with a soundtrack that shouldn't be missed.

A Clockwork Orange-a darker, as I like to call is"guy movie" that should be in your best movies of all time. I think it is Stanley Kubrick's best by far.

Also honorable mention guy movies you should try and see, if you haven't already-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fightclub, and Donnie Darko (ones I can think of off the top of my head anyway).

Detention-a weird movie that you alsmo have to watch a few times just to get what all is going on-it has time travel, 80's time setting (at least part of the time), horror film, comedy, with some darn witty dialogue you have to really pay attention to to get in its entirety. Starring Josh Hutcherson and Shanley Caswell.

If you don't mind period pieces or romance as some of the films you watch:z

The Decoy Bride-about a guy who is a famous author of one whole book who is engaged to a very famous actress and how their wedding gets crashed by photographers so they decide to run off and get married elsewhere (and wind up in the remot location where his book is supposedly supposed to take place-though he apperantly never had been there before, lol) and how the actress runs off when she finds a photographer crashing the party again. So her "people" decide to find a woman to stand in and then hold the real ceremony later once they find the actress fiance. Only problem-no one told teh groom and once he finds out they realize they both signed the register with and she didn't sign the actresses name in all the commotion. Now they have to get their little problem fixed and quick. The thing that makes this film so great is the cast-the awesome David Tennent (the BEST Dr. WHO!!!), Kelly MacDonald (who is simply charming), and Alice Eve.

And finally, if you are up for it: Lost in Austen-if you ever wanted an idea of what it would be like if a girl went into her favorite Austen novel, Pride and Prejudice, and totally screwed it up. Plus you get more insight into what the characters are really like and what maybe made them act the way they did. Just loved this one! Wonderful proformances by all, but Jemima Rooper and Tom Riley are just great!

I migt come up with other film suggestions at some point, but that should definitely get you started, lol.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Downfall (German... This is the movie that all the youtube vids about Hitler blowing up for certain situations came from)
    Screamers

I've owned Downfall almost a year and haven't gotten to it. I need to change that! lol
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Dead Man

Metropolis

Classics in their own right! :)
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Bad Seed (1956)

^^LOOOOVE this movie

Although my personal favorites are Harold and Maude, and My Blue Heaven, which is a Steve Martin/Rick Moranis movie that i am pretty sure no one has seen but me.

Just watched Harold and Maude, added My Blue Heaven though :) So you won't be the only one!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Barefoot Gen - not really a "favorite," but well-made, disturbing, and something I still remember years after watching it last.

Sunshine- not really "obscure" just incredibly underrated. I enjoyed the story, characters, and the plot twists. It's actually one of my all-time favorites.

The Edukators

Thirteen

Elephant- another disturbing but beautifully made movie.

Added most, but is Sunshine 99 or 07?
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Jeux D'enfants

So sad, it's only a Save on Netflix. Hopefully I can find it another way.
  • Stopher100481
    Options

The Brothers Bloom-a who's conning who film with Rachel Weisz, Adrien Brody, and Mark Ruffalo (who was also in Catch Me if You Can, which I also found quite good-though not as obscure)

Wild Target-a hitman is supposed to kill a woman who has pulled a con on a guy, but the hitman falls for his target and he tries to protect her from the hitman sent to replace him and kill him too-plus a teen gets caught up with them-stars Bill Night, Emily Blunt, and Rupert Grint (it is a lighter dark comedy)

Wristcutters a Love Story-about a guy who kills himself after his girlfriend dumps him finds himself in a kind of Limbo world that is just a crappier version of his life before, but the main character soon finds out his ex killed herself shortly after he did so he goes to find her so they can be together. Along the way he meets and spends time with new friends (one of whom is trying to find the "People in Charge" so she can get sent back because their death was an accident not a suicide). It is a greatly overlooked film-though I think most of the ones from my list are...lol, no bias. ;) Stars Patrick Fugit, Tom Waits, and Shannyn Sossamon.

Nick & Nora'hs Infinite Playlist-I love this film! I read the book too...and even though they are different in many ways, I actually like them both. About a group of people trying to find out the venue of their favorite band (which is at a pop up location that they have to track clues to find)...but along the way they keep loosing eachother, dealing with relationship baggage, and the fun of the New York city night life. Starring Michael Cera and Kat Denning (who is also in Charlie Bartlett, which is not as obscure, but I HIGHLY recommend).

Some Kind of Wonderful-by my standards the best John Hughes film BY FAR!!!! About a guy who is a no body who falls for the most popular girl in school and when she and her boyfriend (the most popular guy in school) breakup he asks the girl of his dreams out. While his best fried has a secret crush on him, but helps him out with his fantasy girl. Starring Eric Stoltz, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Lea Thompson.

Rocky Horror Picture Show-a cult classic that shouldn't be missed. Grew up watching this film. Starring the wonderful Tim Curry with a soundtrack that shouldn't be missed.

A Clockwork Orange-a darker, as I like to call is"guy movie" that should be in your best movies of all time. I think it is Stanley Kubrick's best by far.

Also honorable mention guy movies you should try and see, if you haven't already-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fightclub, and Donnie Darko (ones I can think of off the top of my head anyway).

Detention-a weird movie that you alsmo have to watch a few times just to get what all is going on-it has time travel, 80's time setting (at least part of the time), horror film, comedy, with some darn witty dialogue you have to really pay attention to to get in its entirety. Starring Josh Hutcherson and Shanley Caswell.

The Decoy Bride-about a guy who is a famous author of one whole book who is engaged to a very famous actress and how their wedding gets crashed by photographers so they decide to run off and get married elsewhere (and wind up in the remot location where his book is supposedly supposed to take place-though he apperantly never had been there before, lol) and how the actress runs off when she finds a photographer crashing the party again. So her "people" decide to find a woman to stand in and then hold the real ceremony later once they find the actress fiance. Only problem-no one told teh groom and once he finds out they realize they both signed the register with and she didn't sign the actresses name in all the commotion. Now they have to get their little problem fixed and quick. The thing that makes this film so great is the cast-the awesome David Tennent (the BEST Dr. WHO!!!), Kelly MacDonald (who is simply charming), and Alice Eve.

And finally, if you are up for it: Lost in Austen-if you ever wanted an idea of what it would be like if a girl went into her favorite Austen novel, Pride and Prejudice, and totally screwed it up. Plus you get more insight into what the characters are really like and what maybe made them act the way they did. Just loved this one! Wonderful proformances by all, but Jemima Rooper and Tom Riley are just great!

I migt come up with other film suggestions at some point, but that should definitely get you started, lol.

Wow! THANK YOU!!! I love suggestions like these! I added everything I hadn't seen!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Sideways, I Heart Huckabees, Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask

giphy.gif
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The Girl with Dragon Tattoo swedish version

the_girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_cover.jpg

YES!!!! I love the entire series....
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    repo! the genetic opera

tumblr_m5gutgu2ql1r958dqo2_500.gif
  • DiscePati
    DiscePati Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

1. Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins
    2. Four Feathers
    3. Iron Giant
    4. The 5th Element
    5. The Man who would be King
    6. 3:10 to Yuma (remake)
    7. Ecstasy of Order (doc. about Tetris)
    8. The Last Starfighter
  • LifeItself
    LifeItself Posts: 44
    Options
    Making Mr. Right
    Camp Cucamonga
    Clerks
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Wow! THANK YOU!!! I love suggestions like these! I added everything I hadn't seen!

I'm glad I could provide you a few new suggestions. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :happy:
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Sideways, I Heart Huckabees, Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask

giphy.gif

I've always loved Sideways! Added Huckabees and Mirrormask, Pan's Labyrinth is a classic! I love it
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

1. Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins
    2. Four Feathers
    3. Iron Giant
    4. The 5th Element
    5. The Man who would be King
    6. 3:10 to Yuma (remake)
    7. Ecstasy of Order (doc. about Tetris)
    8. The Last Starfighter

Added most, sucks that Ecstasy of Order isn't available!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Making Mr. Right
    Camp Cucamonga
    Clerks

Clerks!!! :)

Added the other two
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Gen - not really a "favorite," but well-made, disturbing, and something I still remember years after watching it last.

Sunshine- not really "obscure" just incredibly underrated. I enjoyed the story, characters, and the plot twists. It's actually one of my all-time favorites.

The Edukators

Thirteen

Elephant- another disturbing but beautifully made movie.

Added most, but is Sunshine 99 or 07?