Replies

• Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for posting!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post OP... you've inspired a topic to help jumpstart my blow. Excellent!
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    What if you had to choose between the following:

OPTION 1) Get rich quick, but spend all the money and be poor again, just as quickly - possibly even poorer than you started

or

OPTION 2) Take some time, earn your wealth, and learn how to preserve it.

Which would you pick?

It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better. I want a lasting wealth... even if it means I have to work for it. I don't want a flash in the pan that disappears in a heartbeat - potentially leaving me scarred in the process... I want something sustainable. Something lasting. Something I can pass on to my kids after I am gone.

And yet - so many topics on this site are focused on helping people achieve OPTION 1... some VLCDs, cleanses, fad diets, starvation and the like - abound a plenty.

So many people seem to think that they'll be the exception to the rule - that they'll lose weight super fast, turn into this low fat, ripped, amazing sexy creature, and keep that body for EVERRRRR.... and yet they don't learn the proper tools to preserve the wealth they achieve (if they even achieve it in the first place!)

And it's kinda ridiculous.

Take this thread as an encouragement - you didn't gain weight overnight...
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOSE IT OVERNIGHT!

I challenge you to ALLOW YOURSELF...
    - GRACE to lose weight slowly. Adjust your timelines to allow yourself time to change the way you approach food.
    - ROOM to make mistakes... no one can do this perfectly! You will have days where you feel like you have failed. It is OK. Just keep trying.
    - FREEDOM to have those foods you feel you cannot live without. Find a way to fit an occasional treat into your life
    - PERMISSION to love yourself as you are, knowing that you are working towards being healthier.
    - REALISM... set realistic goals for what you want to look like... recognize your body type and see what thinner versions of those body types look like. (If you have a massive chest, you likely won't look like Kate Hudson when you lose your weight!)

Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

Train for your marathon... you don't have to run it the first time you lace up your shoes...

Why does that have so many flags :(
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP: flagged 4x as "spam."

Not sure if hilarious, because some people didn't seem to actually read the post...

Or sad, because some people didn't seem to read the post...

Both?
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Such good inspiration! Self-hate never results in positive and lasting change. Putting these ideas into practice results in a more meaningful life, not just reduced love-handles :-)
  • tricolorkittie
    tricolorkittie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Amazing, really amazing. :D
  • TJBritton51
    Options
    I thought this post was a scam and then I started reading it. It's something we all need to remind ourselves of daily!
  • stylimom
    stylimom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational!
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I needed this today. Thanks.
  • jenwrenten
    jenwrenten Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanna look like Kate Hudson. No, actually, I am 51 I would rather go for Brook Sheilds or Cindy Crawford. They are closer to my age. :)
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great post! Love it! <3
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for comparing getting trim to building wealth. That really puts things in perspective for me :) *cheers*
  • MITiger1
    MITiger1 Posts: 1
    Options

OPTION 1) Get rich quick, but spend all the money and be poor again, just as quickly - possibly even poorer than you started

or

Which would you pick?

It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better. I want a lasting wealth... even if it means I have to work for it. I don't want a flash in the pan that disappears in a heartbeat - potentially leaving me scarred in the process... I want something sustainable. Something lasting. Something I can pass on to my kids after I am gone.

And yet - so many topics on this site are focused on helping people achieve OPTION 1... some VLCDs, cleanses, fad diets, starvation and the like - abound a plenty.

So many people seem to think that they'll be the exception to the rule - that they'll lose weight super fast, turn into this low fat, ripped, amazing sexy creature, and keep that body for EVERRRRR.... and yet they don't learn the proper tools to preserve the wealth they achieve (if they even achieve it in the first place!)

- GRACE to lose weight slowly. Adjust your timelines to allow yourself time to change the way you approach food.
    - ROOM to make mistakes... no one can do this perfectly! You will have days where you feel like you have failed. It is OK. Just keep trying.
    - FREEDOM to have those foods you feel you cannot live without. Find a way to fit an occasional treat into your life
    - PERMISSION to love yourself as you are, knowing that you are working towards being healthier.
    - REALISM... set realistic goals for what you want to look like... recognize your body type and see what thinner versions of those body types look like. (If you have a massive chest, you likely won't look like Kate Hudson when you lose your weight!)

Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

Train for your marathon... you don't have to run it the first time you lace up your shoes...

• dpgalbreath
    dpgalbreath Posts: 26 Member
    Options

or

Which would you pick?

I am not proud of the fact that I have fallen for more than one get-thin-quick program/scheme...even on the couple that worked, I gained it all back (and then some, more often than not). I am refusing to go down that route again....this time, it will be slow-and-steady-wins-the-race. I'm impatient, so it kills me some days...but it will be so very worth it in the end.

Thanks for a great post!!

• Alibella_5
    Alibella_5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Thank you!
  • johnsonGA15
    Options
    Nice post. Option 2 is something I would pick, but just to be rich, even for a short time...oh, how many bills need to be paid. XD
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice post. Option 2 is something I would pick, but just to be rich, even for a short time...oh, how many bills need to be paid. XD

Right now... I totally get this. TOTALLY.
  • raggal
    raggal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
    An amazing post (Y)
  • Got2beme7
    Got2beme7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! A great post! I was not expecting that! I was expecting you to try to sell me something to make me financially rich, instead you sold me the attitude to be rich in body.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Got2beme7 wrote: »
    Wow! A great post! I was not expecting that! I was expecting you to try to sell me something to make me financially rich, instead you sold me the attitude to be rich in body.

I'm glad you read to the end! I've gotten flagged 7x for posting spam! Lol

Even more so, I'm really glad it helped!