GET RICH QUICK!!!

Replies

• FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    This is the best thread I ever saw and exactly what I needed to here today!!!

love.gif
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Just give me the money and stop BS'ing
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Just give me the money and stop BS'ing

mayweather-money.gif
  • Rhea_L
    Rhea_L Posts: 25 Member
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the encouragement.

Please feel free to add me as a Friend. I need friends that help me keep it all in perspective.
  • save for later
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    save

:happy: :heart:
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    This analogy did not work for me at all because I would definitely pick option 1 - get rich quick, spend it all just as quick and be poor again.

But that's because I see money as a tool rather than part of my identity. Money gives me satisfaction when it is spent and not when it is hoarded. Hoarding money is a risk adverse behavior that is done to create safety and prevent lifestyle changes. I like the challenge of lifestyle changes. Therefore, I am very comfortable with financial risk.

Health/fitness is different for me. For health, I would rather have safety and consistency. I would take above average fitness for a long time over supreme fitness for a short term. However, I am wise enough to recognize that not everyone prioritizes the same choices as me. Professional athletes often chose option 1 for their health and end up taking steroids or pushing too hard and getting injured. Professional football players and boxers accept brain damage later in life in order to become the best at their sport. How many times have we seen an athlete push too hard at the Olympics and we admire their mental fortitude?

So, while your analogy might be very helpful to some, be careful when you state that your personal choice is the "obvious" choice for everyone.

Here ya go. I've corrected your statement for you:

"It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better FOR ME. I want a lasting wealth..."
  • Great analogy! Excellent post! I will look at my journey exactly this way!
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    I needed this post last night!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    test

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Love this post!!! <3
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited October 2014
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Why does it have to be option 1 or option 2? Is there no in between? How about rapid weight loss and solid maintenance? How about winning the lotto and properly investing it?

we all know that life isn't REALLY about two choices. Really, there are a million possibilities. This was about an analogy. For many, the analogy helped. For others it didn't.

That's all. :smile:

There are always exceptions to the rule... I was aiming this post at the rule.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Beautifully written! It's taken me over a decade to accept that instant gratification is not always possible, but furthermore, that it's often not desirable. :star::heart:
  • So true
  • carissascarfi
    carissascarfi Posts: 3 Member
    Very well said. Definitly somthing to remember when wanting to go off plan.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Love this post. <3
  • mnoxon94
    mnoxon94 Posts: 3 Member
    I've bounced between 200 and 245 for the last 10 years. I've found that going to weight watchers seemed to be the only thing that worked, because I am a very competitive person. I took each weigh-in as a contest and I had to give it my all. I would drop from 245 to 215 in about 2 months, then take the next 2 months to get to 200. then I would convince myself that I didn't need to keep weighing in. I would keep it off for about a 2 months but then start to slowly creep up. I would keep running but would allow other things to take priority. I would watch my portions but convince myself that one slip will not hurt. Slowly I would feel my clothes get a little tighter, but convinced myself that my wife was shrinking them.

The only one I was convincing was myself.

I've done this 4 times! Each time I get more frustrated because it is not complicated, at least for me (I know that others may have other issues that make weight loss more complex). All I need to do is be honest with myself.

The only way for me to do that is TRACK! I've tried diet fads (never worked), no carbs (I'm italian and cannot give em up), home gym equipment (I've bought more treadmills, home gyms, stationary bikes, exercise videos, rubber bands, dumbbells, kettleballs, etc.) and they always start off being a miracle of science, then a few weeks later a regret as I need to find space in the basement for storage. Except for my bowflex treadclimber which I got off craigslist and really was worth it.

This post sums my issue up. Priority. I've been very blessed in that I've got a wonderful wife, incredible kids, stable finances, great job, and my health. And when people have asked, I've always said that. But why do I always list my health last? Without that, the others have no basis. It took me finding this post to understand it, and then actually writing this out to make it sink in.

Find your motivation, whatever it is, and keep with it. Life is not a race, it is a journey. Keep moving toward your goals, and never forget without your health, the other things you may value are worthless. All the money, fame, fortune, friends, etc. may help your estate, but they won't have you.

Good luck to all.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Love this!
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    beautifully said B)