• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    deleted double post
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I hate seeing these diets in use. The whole idea of cleansing is based on false assumptions. If you are eating right, including plenty of soluble and insoluble fiber, there is nothing to "cleanse" because you are evacuating wastes in an appropriate manner. These diets encourage a state of near starvation and for some people they cause dehydration, persistent diarrhea, abdominal pain, and of course, weight loss. Unfortunately, the weight that is lost is mostly water weight and bowel contents, both of which will come back once you begin eating normally again. The only reason most doctors give approval for them is because most people won't stick to them for more than a couple of days, so there aren't many risks.
    The soup itself is fine. If you want to use the soup as a low calorie filler between meals or at the end of the day, great. If you want to go on a few days of vegan eating along with, that's fine too, just DO eat the beans and nuts that are required to keep some protein in your system so your body doesn't start breaking down muscle tissue, and some whole grains for the B vitamins and to make complete proteins from some of the vegetable sources.
    Please, just eat right and exercise. Don't try risky fad diets or diet supplements.

I couldn't find the original poster. But I am just going to put this here.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    The diet didn't work too well for the OP. Her profile shows she only lost 14lbs in the 4 yrs she has been on here and still has about 40lbs till goal weight. Think I'll pass on the diet.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! i love hearing about crazy diets and having a good chuckle.

i feel bad for anyone who actually put themselves through this. it's a terrible idea.

but the soup actually sounds a bit like my oma's borsht, so i might make it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    ^ You can laugh at me. A couple of decades ago I was silly enough to do it... for a while.