Cut out soda completely, and haven't lost a pound!

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Really? A myth, huh?

You are grossly misinformed. :wink:

The reason we have an overweight society is because people make the choice to eat too many calories. There are foods out there that are loaded with calories, you know. There is a big difference in calories between a small piece of cake and a big piece. There is a difference in calorie intake between a quarter pounder and small fires and a double pounder with large fries.

In my experience, the overweight people I've seen eat, and that included ME when I was overweight, consumed pretty big portions.

Just because someone believes they are eating at a calorie deficit does not make it so.

Ok, so let's do this, any person who is doing any program, whether is for losing or gaining weight, follow this approach. If you eat 1200 calories, eat all of them from sugars, carbs, enjoy eating sweets, candies, pasta with tomato sauce and so on, tell me after that whether you gain weight or not.

I can't talk for people who don't know how to measure food, but there is so many people just eating veggies and chicken, fish and not losing weight.

The reason to have such an overweighted society is because people is miss informed, not their fault, the food industry is so big, and they spend a lot in advertisement, as well as giving some money for "research" :) curious that all the research this companies fund is always giving the results that they are looking for, I don't get why they pay for it...

We have to separate the US from the rest of the world, they eat too much crap, the soils are depleted hence they don't get enough nutrients in the foods, fake food everywhere, tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners with proven effects on insulin... that is why they have insane rates of diabetes type 2 and heart disease, sugar causes inflammation, which is the father of all evils in your health.

We, in Europe, are copying their style, lucky us we are still having better food choices but we are following the same patterns.

Add stress to that, you've got the cocktail, people do not realise how BIG is the influence of stress in our bodies, it shuts down every thing, does not allow you to rest and recover, makes you fat and eats your muscle, makes your hormones to stop working, your adrenal glands and liver work poorly, not to mention all the other psychological effects.
    If they are in a deficit they will lose weight. I ate all those things. Keep up the trollin though, your post history makes it painfully obvious
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/why-calories-count.html
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I haven't not had a single soda since May 22nd! I thought this would be a great thing to cut out. I would only drink real Coke not the diet ones and I was having at least 6, 12oz cans a day some days more! I have not lost a single pound! I thought by cutting out soda I would at least lose a few! Any ideas??

Yeah, eat less. Move more.

Cheers.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If they are in a deficit they will lose weight. I ate all those things. Keep up the trollin though, your post history makes it painfully obvious

Talk to diabetics about your suggestion. I can't believe people say these things.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I haven't not had a single soda since May 22nd! I thought this would be a great thing to cut out. I would only drink real Coke not the diet ones and I was having at least 6, 12oz cans a day some days more! I have not lost a single pound! I thought by cutting out soda I would at least lose a few! Any ideas??

:blushing: wait...are you saying you've switched diet coke for regular coke & have not lost any weight? :huh:
    If so..:laugh:
    No, he's saying he previously drank regular Coke, not diet Coke, but stopped.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Ok, so let's do this, any person who is doing any program, whether is for losing or gaining weight, follow this approach. If you eat 1200 calories, eat all of them from sugars, carbs, enjoy eating sweets, candies, pasta with tomato sauce and so on, tell me after that whether you gain weight or not.
    The problem, aside from nutrition, is that such a diet would leave one constantly hungry and make sticking to 1200 calories very difficult. However, if it were actually done, one would lose weight unless one's TDEE is 1200 or less.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Oh god help us all this man is a father. I know he is funny but somebody please think of the children.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    It's amazing how every single time someone wants to demonize sugar they always go to the extreme to try and prove their point by say "Go ahead and eat all of your days calories in sugar". It's a weak argument by all of you scare mongers. Always with the extremism. And a huge LOL to the bold.

I have no intention in demonizing anything, the dangers of sugar are more than proven, our society lives in a sugar-base diet and our bodies are not designed to handle that much sugar, that is all.

I invite you to read about sugar and inflammation, problem is that the effects of sugar are not just a short term weight gain or anything like that, inflammation will eventually lead to SERIOUS health problems, but that takes several years, and I am not talking about 5, you can have the consequences 30 years later.
    The problem, aside from nutrition, is that such a diet would leave one constantly hungry and make sticking to 1200 calories very difficult. However, if it were actually done, one would lose weight unless one's TDEE is 1200 or less.

Assuming the calories in-out model that people is talking about I don't know why you talk about nutrition, ok, add a multivitamin and mineral supplement.

And also, if you divide those 1200 in 6 meals it gives 200 calories per meal, which is 50 grams of sugar. If we assume that you sleep 8 hours, you don't eat 2 hours before bed, that leaves you 14 hours to eat 6 meals, so is less than 3 hours in between meals, sugar gives you energy quickly, you can just play with different sources.

You know why you feel hungry or not satisfied which sugar meals? because it spikes insulin too much, so it completely depletes your blood glucose levels so you feel hungry really fast and you need more, vicious circle, problem is... guess what.. your cells have a limit of sugar that are going to accept and you don't burn that sugar that fast, so insulin will convert the sugar into fat even if your levels of glycogen are not full, because your cells are REJECTING the insulin.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Talk to diabetics about your suggestion. I can't believe people say these things.

So you believe diabetics are magical beasts, and they'll not lose weight if their intake is less than their output?

Interesting. What else do you believe? How old is the earth?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

OMG! This is at least the third time you're bringing up medical conditions in this one thread! Diabetics, your very own liver condition, "specific types of medical conditions". YES, barring any medical conditions it's calories in calories out. People with medical issues should work with their doctors for overall health and weight loss
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It's amazing how every single time someone wants to demonize sugar they always go to the extreme to try and prove their point by say "Go ahead and eat all of your days calories in sugar". It's a weak argument by all of you scare mongers. Always with the extremism. And a huge LOL to the bold.

I have no intention in demonizing anything, the dangers of sugar are more than proven, our society lives in a sugar-base diet and our bodies are not designed to handle that much sugar, that is all.

I invite you to read about sugar and inflammation, problem is that the effects of sugar are not just a short term weight gain or anything like that, inflammation will eventually lead to SERIOUS health problems, but that takes several years, and I am not talking about 5, you can have the consequences 30 years later.

Assuming the calories in-out model that people is talking about I don't know why you talk about nutrition, ok, add a multivitamin and mineral supplement.

And also, if you divide those 1200 in 6 meals it gives 200 calories per meal, which is 50 grams of sugar. If we assume that you sleep 8 hours, you don't eat 2 hours before bed, that leaves you 14 hours to eat 6 meals, so is less than 3 hours in between meals, sugar gives you energy quickly, you can just play with different sources.

You know why you feel hungry or not satisfied which sugar meals? because it spikes insulin too much, so it completely depletes your blood glucose levels so you feel hungry really fast and you need more, vicious circle, problem is... guess what.. your cells have a limit of sugar that are going to accept and you don't burn that sugar that fast, so insulin will convert the sugar into fat even if your levels of glycogen are not full, because your cells are REJECTING the insulin.
    So in one paragraph you talk about how easy it would be to spread out your eating so that hunger is managed and in the next you talk about why people are hungry and unsatisfied by sugar. If you're going to troll and purposefully avoid the points being made, at least be more subtle.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

So you believe diabetics are magical beasts, and they'll not lose weight if their intake is less than their output?

Interesting. What else do you believe? How old is the earth?
    Flat.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Really? A myth, huh?

You are grossly misinformed. :wink:

The reason we have an overweight society is because people make the choice to eat too many calories. There are foods out there that are loaded with calories, you know. There is a big difference in calories between a small piece of cake and a big piece. There is a difference in calorie intake between a quarter pounder and small fires and a double pounder with large fries.

In my experience, the overweight people I've seen eat, and that included ME when I was overweight, consumed pretty big portions.

Just because someone believes they are eating at a calorie deficit does not make it so.

I can't talk for people who don't know how to measure food, but there is so many people just eating veggies and chicken, fish and not losing weight.

The reason to have such an overweighted society is because people is miss informed, not their fault, the food industry is so big, and they spend a lot in advertisement, as well as giving some money for "research" :) curious that all the research this companies fund is always giving the results that they are looking for, I don't get why they pay for it...

We have to separate the US from the rest of the world, they eat too much crap, the soils are depleted hence they don't get enough nutrients in the foods, fake food everywhere, tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners with proven effects on insulin... that is why they have insane rates of diabetes type 2 and heart disease, sugar causes inflammation, which is the father of all evils in your health.

We, in Europe, are copying their style, lucky us we are still having better food choices but we are following the same patterns.

Add stress to that, you've got the cocktail, people do not realise how BIG is the influence of stress in our bodies, it shuts down every thing, does not allow you to rest and recover, makes you fat and eats your muscle, makes your hormones to stop working, your adrenal glands and liver work poorly, not to mention all the other psychological effects.

hhhhooookay I gotta step in on the cocktail thing 'cause that's just ignorant fear mongering. If you look at my diary you'll see I drink at least 36oz of beer a day and I've lost 10lbs since Jan 1st. I just fit it into my calories for the day or average for the week.

Are you sure your not Dr Phil in disguise and Dances with Wowzers is Oprah?
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    Show us that research.

You got it:

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(04)00462-7/fulltext
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2821887/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/sugar-type-2-diabetes-rates-robert-lustig_n_2750965.html

Just quick examples, also check any list of inflammatory foods and then read about the consequences of inflammation, it is even linked to some cancers, inflammation is what usually kills people, clogged arteries are often caused by inflammation, and you know what happens when you have clogged arteries.

You know, some people relate high cholesterol to heart disease, because they find high levels (of the so called bad cholesterol, LDL) in the arteries of people that have heart attacks or strokes, funny thing is that one of the functions of LDL is HEALING arteries, which are damaged by.... yes, inflammation.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You're not in a caloric deficit.

Start weighing, measuring, and logging every single thing that goes in your mouth.

Not drinking soda is not magically going to make you lose weight.

Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds? and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?

The caloric deficit is a myth, if that works why there is so many fat people? pretty much every person that is doing weight loss diets is having a caloric deficit, but almost every single person get the weight back or they even add more, some is missing here.

...you have zero knowledge in what you are doing.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    ...you have zero knowledge in what you are doing.

You have zero information in your post.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

When I was in my 20's I subsisted on a daily diet of about 1000 calories of Pop Tarts, Fruit Loops, popcorn and toast. (Super healthy!) I lost weight.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Scarecrow ... if the calorie deficit is a myth, then how do people lose weight? Seriously, what is the science beyond weight loss if all of us who have lost significant weight are wrong about it being because of a calorie deficit?

How did I lose 37 pounds this time? How did I lose 70 pounds before?

You can't keep saying flat out that calorie deficit is a myth and then not provide the answer to how weight is lost if not due to calorie deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging your intake accurately and sticking to a reasonable daily calorie deficit?