Stubborn wife, advice please?

Options

Replies

• PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Instead of telling her to eat more healthy, what if you sat down and added up how much it costs vs cooking meals at home. Then suggest to your wife maybe you try eating at home for a month and make the menu foods she and your child like but in a healthier way. Tell her with the money you save you'd like to take her out to a really fancy dinner or even a small weekend vacation.
    I found (and Im still not doing awsome) but that it's easier for me to watch my portions vs cutting out the food I like completely.
  • CandiJ89
    CandiJ89 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have completely changed my eating habits.... have lost about 68 pounds... feeds our three year old daughter garbage... daughter are overweight and putting themselves at risk for a variety of health problems...

You have been a member since 2010 and had been losing weight before your daughter was even born. I can't believe anyone would sit back and let their child learn unhealthy eating habits when they have MFP as a tool for themselves and have already dealt with their own weight issues, and to then place the blame solely on their partner is disgusting.

^^ This
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    9402_05ed.gif

You are having small war on your hands, but war isn't fighting just to be fighting. It's to show your opponent why they are wrong to oppose you in first place.

Like others say, since daughter is shared, it must be shared decision. But do not fold in face of adversity! Your wife appears to know how to push your buttons and take you off objective and manipulate you to another subject. Stay focused on your goal and in your position of strength, which is health (you) over convenience (her). You have right on your side, go now, win for your daughter.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't read a single reply to the OP. This is what you do...
    stock-photo-two-giant-nuts-against-black-velvet-2323583.jpg
    1. Reach down and grab these ^^^

2. Stop caring about what shoves in her hole. She’s a grown woman and will do what the eff she wants to.

3. Look your wife in the face and tell her "No" when she feeds your kid crap. You’re a parent too.

4. Be reasonable when feeding your daughter, chicken nuggets or corn dogs every so often isn't the worst thing in the world. If you're feeding your kid flavorless, unappealing "healthy" food all the time, you probably are a food Nazi.

5. let loose the above picture, because you'll just look weird walking around like that all the time and someone might call the cops.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Do this to her....

Drop_kick.gif
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to push them, you are a food nazi :)

health effort should be an individual choice

If you keep pointing at them, you are probably pissing them off

The wife, yeah. The kid, no. He has a responsibility to his child to ensure she has a healthy diet.

No way would I sit back and let my husband give me kids constant junk that is making them overweight!!

You wife is out of order for allowing the child to eat rubbish under the excuse of being a 'food nazi'.

This! Honestly, there was a comment in this thread that irritated the crap out of me because it almost seemed as though since you "are the daddy" you have less control while Mom holds all the cards. Someone's personal issues peeking through their advice. You definitely have just as much say in feeding your child as your wife does. You are right to be concerned if you feel that your daughter is learning unhealthy eating habits. Your wife's eating habits (unless she is obese) isn't your concern, but your daughter's eating habits most certainly are.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    chloroform.jpg
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Dump her.
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    chloroform.jpg

Mmmm...smells delightful :laugh:
  • miss_mckenna
    miss_mckenna Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have a kid in the mix, but I encountered the same problem. At first, I'd nag the hell out of him to stop drinking soda, eating fast food, and sitting on his *kitten*. He knew what he was doing was harmful to his health, but...we all know it's really hard to change your lifestyle. Luckily, he loves to cook, so I started incorporating more healthy dinners into our menu and I started by making little changes (wheat pasta, turkey, sneaking veggies into every meal). Over the last three years, he's slowly come around. He went for a while without soda and processed foods and he notices the difference in his body when he goes awry. I would recommend baby steps, when she starts to notice the changes in her body and how much better she feels, she's slowly change on her own. I'm still working on getting him off the couch, but I have him going to yoga once a week...better than nothing!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    chloroform.jpg

and this is how the internet was won.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    chloroform.jpg

Mmmm...smells delightful :laugh:

Well hey there darling. I'd tell you my name, but you won't remember anyway.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You have no right to push your wife to eat healthier but you have every right and responsibility to see that your daughter eats healthier. What she eats now will form her food opinion in later years.

You might try taking the initiative at nights you eat at home and cook dinner for the family. Instead of pushing it as healthier just serve it as something 'new' to try. Good luck!

I guess if the wife gets a heart attack or stroke, the husband would be in his right to leave her to fend for herself. After this is on her right.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and butt-kicking. I was in a rotten mood when I posted it, so I apologize if I came off sounding like an unkind person toward my wife. I will take all of your helpful advice and try to work constructively with my wife to create a healthy eating environment for my daughter, when we eat at home and at restaurants. This morning we discussed how most kid's menus are filled with not-so-great options, and perhaps we should just share our food with her. I will note that my wife is an excellent cook, and goes out of her way to make healthy meals at home. It's just when we eat out that I see problems. I will also try to encourage the whole family to be more active, as long as we can keep it fun. More dancing, less sitting around, etc. If I have serious concerns about my daughter's health I will talk to her pediatrician. Thanks again.

h5FB69ACD

Backpedaling is much more admirable than the usual MFP rant/ragequit.

OP, this is a terribly sticky situation.

Your child: Certainly needs guidance in food choices as she is not old enough to know better.

Your wife: In my own experience, any advice whether solicited or not is generally not met with kindness (understatement)

Do what you can for yourself, try to do what you can to slowly alter your child's intake (and maybe up the play time), and maybe your wife will one day decide to join (free will).
  • chelsealfinn
    chelsealfinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would say to let your wife eat whatever she wants to eat and worry about yourself and your daughter. You have to put your foot down on her feeding junk food to your child, especially since you say that it is having a negative impact already. Maybe try talking to the pediatrician about it while your wife is there any maybe they can convince her to pick healthier choices for your daughter even if she does not eat well herself. Be prepared to step up and take over the grocery shopping and all the cooking though. My son is three as well and I know that if I were in your shoes, this is what I would do.

Side note:

My son sometimes specifically asks for things like pizza, mac & cheese, and corndogs for dinner sometimes. Every once in a while we will indulge him, but on nights that we do not, he has to eat whatever I have prepared (if I know it's something that he actually will eat and likes) or he doesn't eat. I do not go out of my way to make a separate meal just for him just because he wants to eat junk food. If he asks for something healthy and it is within reason, I will let him have it. You may find you struggle with this as well once you start getting her back on track with healthier foods. Just be patient and don't give in.
  • PonkiPoodles
    Options
    You are obviously in a hard situation. I've been in a similar situation with my husband and the only advice I can offer is to leave her be. Pointing out that she's not eating healthy will just make her resent you. Making the choice to live a healthier lifestyle is a very personal choice as you might well know from doing it yourself. The only thing you can do is love her for who she is and try to accept that she might not be ready to give up her junk food just yet. I do think that you can help by helping with food preparation where you can incorporate a salad (healthy alternative) to each meal you have together as a family. As for your child if she is still small enough where you can decide what she has to eat then maybe make a compromise with your wife that if she's going to order something unhealthy for your daughter it needs to combined it with something healthy. Marriage takes a lot of compromise... good luck!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been said and I missed it. You and your wife should go to a check up for your daughter together and discuss her weight/eating with the pediatrician together. Most likely the pediatrician say something like corn dogs and mac n cheese are fine sometimes but on a daily basis she should eat.... and give a suggestion or send you to a nutritionist. Once you have a professional opinion that may help. Next if your wife still wants to give your daughter unhealthy food on a regular basis don't get into a power struggle. You might need to go to a counselor together who can mediate and help you find a common ground. It is hard when two parents have opposite views on an issue and either one trying to control the other (whether they are right or wrong) will only cause more problems. My last suggestion is try to find ways to make the meals your wife and daughter love more healthy. Burritos, Mac n cheese, and pizza can be a part of a healthy diet if done right. As far as your wife you can't force her to change you can only try to make it easier for her to get healthy such as inviting her for a walk or bike ride and cooking healthier meals.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    As far as your wife...let her be it has to be her choice and you pushing her to do it will make things very unhappy.

Now your daughter is different, I would make an appt with her doctor and bring her in to make sure she actually is overweight and ask the doctor for advice as to how to help her get to a healthy weight and then you bring the information to your wife and tell her this what the doctor suggested we do and we are going to do it.

Also cut down on eating out and start making meals at home it will help a lot with all of you.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand. My wife won't touch a vegetable unless it's fried or coated in cheese. I try to eat better myself, which ultimately leads to 2 food plans for our household, with her eating out, or eating ice cream and chips at home. I hate watching it, but I can't force feed. She won't touch anything I've cooked [mostly soups, stir-frys, salads, smoothies], so what can you do?

On the other hand, your daughter as at a breaking point. Kids palates are set in their toddler years. Some research has even suggested that a mom's diet during pregnancy and breast feeding will start to establish a child's palate as well. If wifey will let you, try to plan your daughter's meals, and let her eat like daddy. She'll fuss and fight for awhile, but she'll get used to healthy eating. With any luck, her life choices will move this way as she grows.

I was raised by a cola and ding dongs diet. It's what my mom was into. I didn't know that you could drink water until I was in my teens [only partly kidding]. I spend my childhood heavy and after college blew into obesity as an adult. That said, I've spent my whole life fighting this pattern of eating. If I'd been raised on a plant heavy diet, I've no doubt I wouldn't have become what I did.

It's not hopeless, I've shed 78lbs already. However, imagine if you could save your daughter this life. It's quite difficult and obesity will affect most every aspect of her life.

Good luck and strength to you. I pray your wife becomes inspired to eat like you both!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Side note:

My son sometimes specifically asks for things like pizza, mac & cheese, and corndogs for dinner sometimes. Every once in a while we will indulge him, but on nights that we do not, he has to eat whatever I have prepared (if I know it's something that he actually will eat and likes) or he doesn't eat. I do not go out of my way to make a separate meal just for him just because he wants to eat junk food. If he asks for something healthy and it is within reason, I will let him have it. You may find you struggle with this as well once you start getting her back on track with healthier foods. Just be patient and don't give in.

I do partially agree however with his daughter only being 3 for me personally I wouldn't go the route of eat what we eat or you don't eat at all because I don't think she fully understands, now if she were 13 absolutely.