Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Options
kejaco
kejaco Posts: 11 Member
We have a tradition of making a cake and getting ice cream each time a birthday comes around. It always tastes great, but they are very high in calories. We have 6 in our family, so it seem that just when we start losing weight again another birthday comes around and slows our progress.

Anyone have alternatives that we can use to make it more healthy? I would love to hear your ideas.

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I would substitute cake and ice cream with cake and ice cream. Six times a year for cake and ice cream should not slow down anything. Save 500 calories for each event, enjoy yourself and celebrate the birthday with no regret.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What we've done is angel food cake with fresh cut strawberries and the low calorie reddi whip.

Alternatively, just buy a small cake and low/no fat frozen yogurt.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Try making an angel food cake with light/low-fat Cool Whip for the icing. It's far fewer calories than other cakes. And just budget for it :) You can have your cake and eat it too!

Try a low-cal or low fat frozen yogurt as an alternative to ice cream.
    Or look up a recipe for fruit based (banana or avocado) imitation ice cream and make that too!

ETA: AH the person ahead of me wrote the same thing as I was writing! I'm not original.. but hey it's confirmation that it works!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I had a cookie cake like this one for my birthday. It was amazing, since I'm not really a cake person.

cookie-cake.jpg

Oh wait, you wanted low calorie? Well, I guess portion sizes come in to play here. Just don't eat the whole cookie in one sitting. Or do...you know...if you want...
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with a small cake, or maybe a bigger party? I don't feel bad having cake and ice cream on someone's birthday, but those leftovers kill me. I end up slicing off "just a little piece" every half hour or so and eating all of it.

You could skip the frosting, too, or just drizzle it. My mom tends to make bundt cakes and then dust them with powdered sugar or drizzles it with powdered sugar frosting (just powdered sugar, vanilla (or whatever flavor), and milk, mixed together until it is kind of runny). It gives you some decoration and a touch of extra sweetness without all the sugar and calories.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I feel like doing this a few times a year won't set you back too much, but if you're stuck on it, do froyo and fresh fruit.

But really, for me, when I know I have something coming up, I just make sure to stick like glue to my meal plans on the surrounding days, and allow myself as many calories as I can for the indulgence.

The point is for it to be special so you enjoy it. *shrug*
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    make a smaller cake and buy less ice cream...
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    strawberry shortcakes.

Buy light cool whip for the topping. Little healthier and less calories.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i think your tradition sounds great, OP.

keep doing that.
  • imonekittykens
    Options
    Why don't you try this!! the cake uses Zucchini instead of butter and the icing is made using Avocado!

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/09/chocolate-zucchini-cupcakes-with-avocado-frosting.html

As for the icecream, why not try frozen yogurt instead?! :3

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/homemade-frozen-yogurt-recipes/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would substitute cake and ice cream with cake and ice cream. Six times a year for cake and ice cream should not slow down anything. Save 500 calories for each event, enjoy yourself and celebrate the birthday with no regret.

THIS^^^
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try this!! the cake uses Zucchini instead of butter and the icing is made using Avocado!
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/09/chocolate-zucchini-cupcakes-with-avocado-frosting.html

NOT THIS ^^^
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Make cupcakes, they're already individually portioned and find a way to fit it in the day. Like others have said, 6 times a year wont throw you off track even if you splurge and g over calories that day (from having two cupcake!) If the problem is leftovers find a bakery or recipe that will give you exactly one per person if you are worried about indulging too often the week after.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I should be happy that there's not any cauliflower in this... but I'm not.
  • kejaco
    kejaco Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

I know it is just every other month, but along with other special days (holidays, date nights, and others) it adds up and this is one place I might be able to cut down the calories fairly easy.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    King's Hawaiian dinner rolls and whipped cream with food dye?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like cake and ice cream.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Eat the cake and ice cream but throw out the leftovers.

At least if you're like me. I go back to the fridge for these tiny little slices, over and over and over again, until it's all gone.)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/homemade-frozen-yogurt-recipes/

giphy.gif

Don't do this, OP, don't ruin good cake.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    There are lots of recipes out there for "better for you" cakes. Example: Diet soda cake http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/12/diet-soda-cake-35-pts.html

I've had diet soda cake in several flavors (but made into cupcakes not sheet cake). You would never guess it's low cal. The texture and flavor are awesome and you can use what ever flavor cake mix or diet soda floats your boat.

Then just get some lower cal ice cream or frozen yogurt. I'd go for the yogurt cause I just think it tastes awesome.

You don't have to give it up...be brave and try something new. You might be surprised how well you like it. Some of my very best baked goods are secretly healthy and I love to bake. I get asked for the recipes all the time.