Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Replies

• laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    I make a chocolate zucchini cake with cream cheese icing that is to-die-for and even folks who hate veggies love it. Same with my carrot cake. But, you'd probably still be better off getting a real birthday cake because just because they have veggies doesn't mean they are good for you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Are you really going the rest of your life without cake/ice cream?

Better learn moderation now.

I make cupcakes as a side business, each one, with icing is 204 calories. Maybe do cupcakes so you have portioned out sizes, so you know exactly how much you ate?
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    10376079_255849414606960_1392754029183509178_n.jpg

cheesecake?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Are you really going the rest of your life without cake/ice cream?

Better learn moderation now.

I make cupcakes as a side business, each one, with icing is 204 calories. Maybe do cupcakes so you have portioned out sizes, so you know exactly how much you ate?

I'm still waiting for my cupcakes in the mail. :angry:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    This.

7055669.png?511

Okay...I agree with my friends that this is clearly not cake. (Those not my friends can go to hell, apparently.)

But Is that really so bad? I think it looks pretty damned good.
    I would eat it, no problem.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    A friend of mine (who is using MFP currently) did chocolate covered fruit mixed with regular fruit in a birthday bouquet for his recent birthday.

Personally I feel that birthdays are a time to indulge within reason. I'd go for the regular cake and/or ice cream. OR for me...I'd probably pick strawberry rhubarb pie or French macarons instead, since I like them better. But I don't think birthdays are the time for a healthy version of a treat, really. JMHO.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I make a chocolate zucchini cake with cream cheese icing that is to-die-for and even folks who hate veggies love it. Same with my carrot cake. But, you'd probably still be better off getting a real birthday cake because just because they have veggies doesn't mean they are good for you.
    Sounds like you make carrot cake like mine, delicious...yes, good for you, not really. Once I get to maintenance going to start experimenting with some lower fat/calorie/sugar versions.

ETA, I did have some Outback carrot cake once, I was pretty disappointed, I was thinking if I do this again, I am making my own carrot cake recipe. :)
  • At work for my birthday I request a fruit salad in lieu of cake and ice cream. You can even have frozen yogurt to go with it.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    bump.
    I need the diet soda cupcakes.

O.P. I would bake the cupcakes to control the calories, and replace the ice cream for frozen yogurt.
  • semipossible
    semipossible Posts: 6 Member
    The number of calories (or lack thereof) does not make a food "bad".

Oh, amen.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    more cheesecake?

10403107_251225285069373_8049525693000406203_n.jpg
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I might consider this in place of cake - my homemade brownies - hot from the oven.

2vv4zg8.jpg

You can make this for my birthday with some ice cream on top please
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    This.

7055669.png?511

Okay...I agree with my friends that this is clearly not cake. (Those not my friends can go to hell, apparently.)

But Is that really so bad? I think it looks pretty damned good.
    I would eat it, no problem.

I love that picture- it DOES look delicious. Fruit with any sort of frosting/cream cheese topping or whatever is devine.

But a cake it is not.

I do not understand how people don't know how to manage this? Make a small cake- run extra. eat and enjoy.

I have ice cream almost every night- for absolutely zero reason than I love it. I'm still doing okay.

That being said- in other news- whatever- soda cake??
    I'm intrigued- there is a box mix in my pantry for my BF's birthday that I never made- might be time to give it a shot!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Enjoy the cake and ice cream ...lifes too short to not enjoy a treat now and again :-D
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    In the same paragraph you said "bad food" AND said not to let food have power over you. HUH? Food is not "bad," eating it in excess is. Moderation, my friend.

Seriously, labeling food as bad IS giving it power.

Except for that whole science thing that shows even 40g of refined sugar every day (which is about only 25% of what the average American consumes every day) independently increases diabetes risk by about 18%. So telling the average person you need to cut out more than 75% of their daily sugar intake I think is far from moderation.

Moderation itself is an ambiguous term defined by society and time. People who use moderation in their diet today would be the worst of the eaters 40 years ago.

So if you label anger as a bad emotion is that giving it power? Um... No... It's just recognizing it's not the healthiest emotion to experience so you do things to avoid it. Bad foods = foods scientifically shown to have negative health effects. Refined sugar is top on the list. Even moderation has implications of bad. Trying to avoid labeling foods as bad is creating an environment that makes it justifiable to eat unhealthy foods when a person subjective deems fit which is far from optimal for progress and results. Other foods with a lot of scientific evidence behind it having negative health impacts are soy, Omega-6 imbalanced oils, and trans-fats to name a few.

Care to make that science available to the rest of us (the study) so we can ruminate on it ourselves, such as looking to see if it's a cause=/= causation situation, an obesity related issue or one that's not likely to affect people of a normal weight. I kinda need to see the context before I jump on the demonic refined sugar bandwagon.
  • MHorvath85
    MHorvath85 Posts: 7 Member
    I agree with all the people who said just to do it! Taking a run before you have all that is a good plan.

Now off I go to enjoy a big ol' glass of dark chocolate almond milk seeing as how today there is no party or cake for me.

:sad:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    more cheesecake?

There's a lot that I want to do with that.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    This.

7055669.png?511

:love: :love: :love:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    giphy_zpsc9d29607.gif
  • MHorvath85
    MHorvath85 Posts: 7 Member
    more cheesecake?

I mean, really. That's some nice looking drizzle...