Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    In the same paragraph you said "bad food" AND said not to let food have power over you. HUH? Food is not "bad," eating it in excess is. Moderation, my friend.

Seriously, labeling food as bad IS giving it power.

Except for that whole science thing that shows even 40g of refined sugar every day (which is about only 25% of what the average American consumes every day) independently increases diabetes risk by about 18%. So telling the average person you need to cut out more than 75% of their daily sugar intake I think is far from moderation.

Moderation itself is an ambiguous term defined by society and time. People who use moderation in their diet today would be the worst of the eaters 40 years ago.

So if you label anger as a bad emotion is that giving it power? Um... No... It's just recognizing it's not the healthiest emotion to experience so you do things to avoid it. Bad foods = foods scientifically shown to have negative health effects. Refined sugar is top on the list. Even moderation has implications of bad. Trying to avoid labeling foods as bad is creating an environment that makes it justifiable to eat unhealthy foods when a person subjective deems fit which is far from optimal for progress and results. Other foods with a lot of scientific evidence behind it having negative health impacts are soy, Omega-6 imbalanced oils, and trans-fats to name a few.

Care to make that science available to the rest of us (the study) so we can ruminate on it ourselves, such as looking to see if it's a cause=/= causation situation, an obesity related issue or one that's not likely to affect people of a normal weight. I kinda need to see the context before I jump on the demonic refined sugar bandwagon.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-013-2899-8

The quoted 18% is after factoring out impact from BMI which combined with sugar consumption had a 52% increase.

People with normal weight still develop T2DM you know...
    I would think things like family history and whether or not you have metabolic syndrome or blood sugar issues should play into this. A blanket statement EVERYBODY should eat this much just doesn't sit well with me.

Um I just want to put in a vote for emotional health - which some foods can help - i.e. makes a person happy. Yes, stick with moderation. If you're constantly thinking about every little thing that you eat ever and how much sugar, soy, etc. it has and how it might kill you... are you really focused on enjoying all parts of your life? No matter what, food is always a part of life and does need to be enjoyed (for the majority of people).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I would think things like family history and whether or not you have metabolic syndrome or blood sugar issues should play into this. A blanket statement EVERYBODY should eat this much just doesn't sit well with me.

It's not a blanket recommendation, it's statistics using the laws of large numbers that shows the more refined sugar you consume the more likely you are to develop T2DM.

Metabolic syndrome includes insulin resistance so having insulin resistance means you're developing T2DM if you don't have it yet. That's like saying being overweight is a factor if overeating will cause obesity.

Family history pales in comparison to personal diet. Time and time again it has been shown that genetic predisposition only accounts for increased likelihood if the causal conditions are met, but again when you're using the law of large numbers this averages out between those inclined to develop it and those not inclined.
    So, if you see your blood sugar rising, you should take action. When my fasting went up to 101 (first time in my life it was over 100) I took action, now it is back to normal again. As long as I keep the weight off, I really don't see it as a problem. I don't drink juice or soda, but if I want some sweets I am going to have them as long as they fit my macros...the end.

ETA: I don't think that study holds a lot of water, self-reporting is not reliable. Family history matters, most of the people I know with type 2 have that variable. I guess if you gain enough weight you can override that, but that doesn't mean you would have developed it otherwise just from eating sugar. ETA: can't agree with the above poster anymore since she emptied her post.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the cake and ice cream ...lifes too short to not enjoy a treat now and again :-D

Thank you for making me feel better about my birthday at the end of this month!

That being said, what if you grabbed a center slice, for not a lot of frosting, and were willing to drink some more milk (soda, water, whatever) to make up for the dryness? My parents are encouraging me to do that on the 25th. Excited to party but not ready to "celebrate" on a diet.:sick: You might like it though.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake, fresh whipped cream and blueberries/strawberries. 200 -250 per serving

or
    strawberries dipped in dark chocolate 8 strawberries 260 calories
  • madhound
    madhound Posts: 14
    Options
    just have a normal cake its a birthday ffs
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    On my last birthday I just had lots of my favorite food...Sushi. I also had mochi covered green tea sorbet :love: But I would totally just eat cake if I liked it more than sushi and mochi covered sorbet. Like everyone said, just work it in and don't make your kids hate you with that watermelon trick. Just plain evils.

Can someone clue me in though, am I missing something with the Hawaiian rolls? I don't get it :blushing: .
  • sassareno
    sassareno Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you may be making the problem too specific. I 100% understand how a birthday can throw you way off track with eating healthy, but it's not just the cake and ice cream. Birthdays are almost always celebrated with some kind of food-related occasion (or multiple food-related occasions!) because eating food together is a way that family and friends can spend time together and enjoy each others company. Plus birthday celebrations can involve a lot of time-- planning a party or event, then the actual event, and then whatever kind of aftermath (clean-up, food coma, hangover, etc). This means you may need a day or two to "recover", and in the pre- and post-birthday celebration activities, you're less likely to spend the time and money on healthier foods.

A trick that my mother has taught me -- she's lost over 100 lbs over about 5 years -- is to not keep the food IN the house. Go out and get everybody a cupcake and a scoop of ice cream. Bring candles to put them in the cupcakes or pieces of cake so you can still make it special and sing happy birthday (well, you may need to bring the food outside if the establishment doesn't want you to make a flame inside :happy: ).

Even when I get small cakes, I always end up eating more than I should, just because I have leftovers. And ice cream is my #1 food, so I can't be trusted with that at all.

So, instead of jumping to the conclusion that you need to replace the cake and ice cream, maybe think more about the whole birthday celebration "experience" and plan in advance how you'll survive the occasion without falling off the wagon.

(All of that said, I think it's perfectly okay to replace cake and ice cream with something a little healthier if that's what you want to do. To each his or her own!)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    On my last birthday I just had lots of my favorite food...Sushi. I also had mochi covered green tea sorbet :love: But I would totally just eat cake if I liked it more than sushi and mochi covered sorbet. Like everyone said, just work it in and don't make your kids hate you with that watermelon trick. Just plain evils.

Can someone clue me in though, am I missing something with the Hawaiian rolls? I don't get it :blushing: .
    I did that on my anniversary.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    A pleasant birthday choice that is still very tasty and pretty is a trifle. You can cut the calories down from traditional cake and ice cream considerably, depending on the ingredients you use to make it.

Sugar free pudding
    Angel food or sponge cake
    Sugar free cool-whip
    Fruits of your choice

Layer them in clear glass trifle dish.

Beautiful and delicious.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Months ago, some chick was talking about how she was trying to be healthier or something. And for her little girl's birthday, instead of cake, she took some Hawaii rolls and put colored frosting on top.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Months ago, some chick was talking about how she was trying to be healthier or something. And for her little girl's birthday, instead of cake, she took some Hawaii rolls and put colored frosting on top.

to all of you bashing the DELIGHTFUL AND AMAZING WATERMELON CAKE
    At least I have never frosted bread.

:-P
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

1aRw3HU
    thanks had a gif...wont work, fml...Ill just hang my head in shame for the terrible posting skills and walk away now :blushing:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

to all of you bashing the DELIGHTFUL AND AMAZING WATERMELON CAKE
    At least I have never frosted bread.

:-P

frosting bread is one thing. Like with chocolate spread. But putting the icing/frosting used on cakes on top of some hawaii sweet rolls and calling it a cake for a little girl's bday is messed up. I can't remember if it was for the kid's party too or not.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to :sad: This deliciousness helped..
    10492460_260263887498846_2481114422157225388_n.jpg

PB Brownie cheesecake?

..but I'd still want cake too.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Um I just want to put in a vote for emotional health - which some foods can help - i.e. makes a person happy. Yes, stick with moderation. If you're constantly thinking about every little thing that you eat ever and how much sugar, soy, etc. it has and how it might kill you... are you really focused on enjoying all parts of your life? No matter what, food is always a part of life and does need to be enjoyed (for the majority of people).

You know what also helps emotional health? Not being overweight or diabetic. Does wonders...

Are you insinuating that everyone who practices moderation is overweight or diabetic?
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would just have the cake OR the ice cream, not both (choose the one that looks best!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You know what also helps emotional health? Not being overweight or diabetic. Does wonders...

I am neither.....ice cream makes me happy also.