Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This 4th of July I actually discovered the alternative to Birthday cake and ice cream.

Lemon Cream cheese pie. I will probably eat an entire one on my next birthday.

picBa6gS9.jpg

Ok and probably some ice cream too.

Can I come? It will redeem your s***** friend-ness. :wink:

I don't know if you can or not...

...but seeing that, I think I just did.

(Okay, not quite...

...but it moved a little.)

I see what you did there....
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    We have a tradition of making a cake and getting ice cream each time a birthday comes around. It always tastes great, but they are very high in calories. We have 6 in our family, so it seem that just when we start losing weight again another birthday comes around and slows our progress.

Anyone have alternatives that we can use to make it more healthy? I would love to hear your ideas.

Perhaps frozen yogurt or sorbet. OR an ice-cream cake (Coldstones and Baskin-Robbins have them). There is one recipe that I saw: one box cake mix mixed with one pint very soft ice cream (mix and bake according to package directions).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How do those studies indicate that moderation is not a good strategy - what are they saying is better?

It's pretty obvious if you take the time to read them.

How about answering the question rather than being obnoxious.?

Also...please do not assume that I do not read studies cited...I do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How do those studies indicate that moderation is not a good strategy - what are they saying is better?

There it is....His favorite debate tactic. He always wants you to go watch a one hour video or go read tons of useless info instead of him providing it. Lame.

Yeah, citing studies and expecting people to look at them is so lame. What a weak tactic and use of erroneous logic...
    No, what's lame is that every day you post it becomes more apparent that you are simply looking for people to debate in circles with you as a way for you to brainstorm for the book that you are "writing". It's lame and you arguments are usually weak.

Yes, because posting references and credible sources is the ultimate way to have weak, circular arguments.

It would help if you actually commented on your take on them and how they apply to your assertions/oblique comments.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How about answering the question rather than being obnoxious.?

Also...please do not assume that I do not read studies cited...I do.

Except the question you asked was highlighted in 3 of the 4 cited references. So I can't fathom how you actually read it and still needed to ask that question.

So if you want to read a study then challenge it, or pose an alternative suggestion that's great. More than happy to engage. But I don't take the time to spell out complicated topics to people who obviously didn't pay attention to the sources.

So...not able to answer the question without being obnoxious?

Got it!

ETA: I see you edited out my keto question...I wonder why.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Got it!

Not wasting my time is obnoxious... Yeah... That's just... Yeah...

What keto question?

Look at the original post.

You wasted enough time to respond to my post...obnoxiously!
  • Vragis
    Vragis Posts: 19
    Options
    Sadness.
  • XxCaz89xX
    XxCaz89xX Posts: 29
    Options
    MUSCLE MOUSSE MUSCLE MOUSSE MUSCLE MOUSSE!!! Tastes amazing and wont kill your waist line

http://proteinchef.co.uk/recipes/cheesecake-factory/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Got it!

Not wasting my time is obnoxious... Yeah... That's just... Yeah...

What keto question?

Oh you mean, the "Keto?". You know why cut it out? Because it's not relevant. Ketogenic diets are not even discussed in 3 of the 4 studies. The reason why I have one study with a ketogenic diet is to compare what's considered a moderate approach versus VLED treatment for T2DM.

You were discussing weight loss in your narrative (primarily) - at the time I was interested in your take on it...not so much now.

The 3rd study is also re Type 2 Diabetes...it notes nothing about the 'type' of diet and weight loss maintenance - which is what I was actually wanting to discuss...at first...hence my question....not so much now.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother reading the 10 pages of drama. Just gonna come add my suggestions to the OP:
    1. As others said on the first page, just get less so you have smaller portions and fewer leftovers. It's good to splurge every now and then. "Everything in moderation, including moderation."
    2. I've made my own pumpkin brownies or pumpkin spice cake a few times: get the brownie/spice cake mix and use 1 can of puree pumpkin instead of all the oil and stuff that the box tells you to use. These have slightly fewer calories, a lot more nutrients, and they're so moist that you don't even need frosting, IMO.
    3. I also like angel food cake with strawberries and whip topping. You can get the individual-sized pastries (usually in a pack of 6! It's fate!) at the grocery store so you wouldn't have any cake leftover, just (maybe) strawberries and whip topping.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    10530872_10152629810907975_5889338140680961573_n.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Apparently meeting macros and the concept of "moderation" are just an illusion for some people, well, one in particular.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You were discussing weight loss in your narrative (primarily) - at the time I was interested in your take on it...not so much now.

The 3rd study is also re Type 2 Diabetes...it notes nothing about the 'type' of diet and weight loss maintenance - which is what I was actually wanting to discuss...at first...hence my question....not so much now.

My take on it, 'eh? Well that's why I cite references because it's not about my take on it, it's about what's scientifically credible. If you're a person more interested in someone's take than the science we wouldn't mesh well in conversation...

In my original post I said moderation is suboptimal for both weight loss and treatment of T2DM which is why the first two studies support the weight loss claim and the last two support the T2DM claim.

By 'your take on it' - I meant you applying the results of the studies to your statement (bad wording on my part but I did not expect you to make assumptions and/or read it like you did and respond as such...I should know better though). Clarifying why someone is citing studies does not mean that they want someone's random unsubstantiated opinion - something you may want to remember when being asked a question.

People post studies and links all the time but often those studies do not support what they are trying to say. I thought it would be best to clarify what you were trying to get at with them as they cover quite a few aspects between the four of them...sorry, my bad!

Regarding the weight loss - the second study cites 2 references when discussing weight-loss success (in relation to moderation v quick weight loss) - the first one I cannot find the full text, but from the abstract, the conclusion was:

"There is evidence from randomised intervention trials to support that a greater initial weight loss induced without changes in lifestyle e.g. liquid formula diets or anorectic drugs) improves long-term weight maintenance, providing it is followed by a 1–2 years integrated weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change, nutritional education, behaviour therapy and increased physical activity."

Which is great...but who has access to this type of program?

The second study - again, I cannot get into the full text but, again, they were on a program.. "Groups were drawn from participants in the TOURS trial, which included a sample of middle-aged (mean = 59.3 years) obese women (mean BMI = 36.8) who received a 6-month lifestyle intervention followed by a 1-year extended care program."

The first study - was a meta-analysis. It does indicate that a VLCD had improved results re maintenance - but not by that much. Also, and while I have not gone into the 29 studies used - I would imagine that they were also on a structured and managed program like the ones noted above.

So, while 'moderation' may not be the most successful approach for people who are under a structured and supervised program, I am still not seeing evidence that there is a 'better' one for people doing this on their own (as a whole, as individual preferences and behaviors are very relevant). In addition, these studies were on obese people - I am not sure that the same results would arise from people who are not as overweight (may do...I just cannot recall seeing anything)

One thing that does appear to be consistent though, and which you have not mentioned (not that you should as this thread is about diet) is that exercise is a factor that does seem to be a success factor in weight loss and in maintenance of that loss.

Edited to try to fix some horrendous sentence structure.
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always had this problem too, because it was tradition in my family to get orange chiffon cakes for your birthday, and for the past few years I've wanted a more healthy alternative. While it's totally acceptable to have a "cheat day" here and there, sometimes you just don't want to!

So now, for years, I just order an edible arrangement, melt a little chocolate, and have dipped fruit. And since that can be expensive for six people to enjoy, you could just buy a nice fruit platter and use toothpicks to dip them in the chocolate. Plus that could be a fun activity for the family to do together if you wanted to do different chocolates, etc.

Happy birthday, and I hope whatever you decide is great!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

My take on it, 'eh? Well that's why I cite references because it's not about my take on it, it's about what's scientifically credible. If you're a person more interested in someone's take than the science we wouldn't mesh well in conversation...

In my original post I said moderation is suboptimal for both weight loss and treatment of T2DM which is why the first two studies support the weight loss claim and the last two support the T2DM claim.

By 'your take on it' - I meant you applying the results of the studies it to your statement (bad wording on my part but I did not expect you to assume that you would read it like you did and respond as such...I should know better though). Clarifying why someone is citing studies does not mean that they want someone's random unsubstantiated opinion - something you may want to remember when being asked a question.

People post studies and links all the time but often those studies do not support what they are trying to say. I thought it would be best to clarify what you were trying to get at with them as they cover quite a few aspects between the four of them...sorry, my bad!

Regarding the weight loss - the second study cites 2 references when discussing weight-loss success (in relation to moderation v quick weight loss) - the first one I cannot find the full text, but from the abstract, the conclusion was:

"There is evidence from randomised intervention trials to support that a greater initial weight loss induced without changes in lifestyle e.g. liquid formula diets or anorectic drugs) improves long-term weight maintenance, providing it is followed by a 1–2 years integrated weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change, nutritional education, behaviour therapy and increased physical activity."

Which is great...but who has access to this type of program?

The second study - again, I cannot get into the full text but, again, they were on a program.. "Groups were drawn from participants in the TOURS trial, which included a sample of middle-aged (mean = 59.3 years) obese women (mean BMI = 36.8) who received a 6-month lifestyle intervention followed by a 1-year extended care program."

The first study - was a meta-analysis. It does indicate that a VLCD had improved results re maintenance - but not by that much. Also, and while I have not gone into the 29 studies used - I would imagine that they were also on a structured and managed program like the ones noted above.

So, while 'moderation' may not be the most successful approach for people who are under a structured and supervised program, I am still not seeing evidence that there is a 'better' one for people doing this on their own (as a whole, as individual preferences and behaviors are very relevant).

One thing that does appear to be consistent though, and which you have not mentioned (not that you should as this thread is about diet) is that exercise is a factor that does seem to be a success factor in weight loss and in maintenance of that loss.

3559096-2576662984-tumbl.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Stealing this!