Three Day Military Diet?

Options

Replies

• coopieclan
    coopieclan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe diets which are so extreme they require medical supervision aren't something that should be promoted to complete strangers on the internet.

Yes, I agree but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to seek out others in our situations for support, help and advise. That's what I believe these forums are about. It's negative insensitive comments that keep people from connecting. Instead of helping they scare people away.

It's great that there are so many people having success with what they are doing. Congratulations to you all! But that doesn't entitle them to belittle others. Losing weight is a very very hard thing to do and support is so helpful in the process.

Whoever decided to call this the Military diet was an idiot and put it out there. Why not ask a person why they want to do it and offer constructive advice instead.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe diets which are so extreme they require medical supervision aren't something that should be promoted to complete strangers on the internet.

Yes, I agree but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to seek out others in our situations for support, help and advise. That's what I believe these forums are about. It's negative insensitive comments that keep people from connecting. Instead of helping they scare people away.

It's great that there are so many people having success with what they are doing. Congratulations to you all! But that doesn't entitle them to belittle others. Losing weight is a very very hard thing to do and support is so helpful in the process.

Whoever decided to call this the Military diet was an idiot and put it out there. Why not ask a person why they want to do it and offer constructive advice instead.

Here's the thing, 99% of the people who follow diets like this (yes I'm pulling that number from my butt :tongue: ) are NOT going to do so under medical supervision, and then, a few months down the line they're going to end up posting another thread like this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1379930-hair-loss-after-weight-loss

The main forums ARE NOT for discussing VLCD's because for most people there are safer and healthier options. So yes, most of us who have watched this sort of drama play out before are going to be negative about these kinds of diets, because they lead unwary new dieters down unsafe paths.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    You can lose up to 40 pounds in a month if this diet is followed precisely.

This is a safe diet and can be used by many different individuals and body types. Exercise is recommended.

40 lbs in one month?? I don't consider that safe at all.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    As someone who was in the Army for 6 years, I can say that this diet was never in wide use. It look's unsatisfying. There is nothing magic about any diet. Don't over complicate the process. Eat food you enjoy to a calorie deficit.

Agree. I"ve been in the Army for 21 years and that doesn't look remotely like anything I've seen before.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

The creators of this site disagree and have banned the promotion of unhealthy weight loss techniques including VLCDs.

I put in the maximum calories I could for day one of this diet and got 1026. The only reason it was that high is that I chose a higher calorie ice cream. Most people who are dieting will do the opposite and choose something lower, which would put the total around 900 calories. Will 3 days of 1000 calories or less seriously harm a person? Probably not. But there are tons of people in this thread, including the OP, talking about doing this long term. That low of a calorie goal long term should not be promoted in the general forums, where most people are not going to consult their doctors.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

The creators of this site disagree and have banned the promotion of unhealthy weight loss techniques including VLCDs.

I put in the maximum calories I could for day one of this diet and got 1026. The only reason it was that high is that I chose a higher calorie ice cream. Most people who are dieting will do the opposite and choose something lower, which would put the total around 900 calories. Will 3 days of 1000 calories or less seriously harm a person? Probably not. But there are tons of people in this thread, including the OP, talking about doing this long term. That low of a calorie goal long term should not be promoted in the general forums, where most people are not going to consult their doctors.

When I Googled it earlier this thread popped up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/741436-3-day-military-diet-information-and-a-rant
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

When I Googled it earlier this thread popped up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/741436-3-day-military-diet-information-and-a-rant

Or that. Why didn't I just do that? :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • _Thriving_
    Options
    First of all you don't know me and shouldn't assume that I would need your advise. I am very familiar with dieting and have tried enough of them to know what works and what doesn't.

The preachers should stop preaching

Then why did you post??? If you are so "familiar with dieting" what the hell do you need us for? Continue on queen bee.....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So anyhow...

...what's going on in this thread?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that there is no "military" diet.

It's about 3500-4000 cals per day along with sh!tloads of running and bodyweight resistance training.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just have to add in it's called the military diet because it's given to some recruits when they want to join but can't make weight, also some doctors use it pre surgery. Not because people in the military eat this way. Sorry had to add cause if I saw one more post " I've been in the military x amount of years and we've never eaten like this"
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I just have to add in it's called the military diet because it's given to some recruits when they want to join but can't make weight,

One wonders, by whom? the last thing that the military need in a new recruit is someone whose diet has led them to lose lean mass...

Pre joining fitness requirements should be leading candidates to shed the weight:

Run 2.4Km in 11 minutes
    Carry 40Kg load up to 100 metres
    Lift 40Kg load to head height, extend forward and deposit
    Six pull ups

etc...
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That I can't answer as to why, my understanding is that the army has a Weight Chart for
    Initial Accession ( aka joining up). So some recruiters will recommend this intermittent fasting program aka the name military diet
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ....my understanding is that the army has a Weight Chart

Most modern militaries have some form of assessment, generlly based on BMI. That brings its own problems, but at least in some; UK, Aus, Kiwi, Canada there is an opportunity for a clinician to provide a waiver where it's beneficial for the individual and the service.
    So some recruiters will recommend this intermittent fasting program aka the name military diet

Interesting outlook, presumably their performance metric is recruits in, rather than trained soldiers out.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This diet actually has quite a few different names (fax diet, Cleveland Clinic diet).
  • E_Sally
    Options
    I say if people wants to try new diets or whatever let them they are not hurting your body or making you do it , what ever makes you happy or whatever you wanna try go for it (gessshh)
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with doing something that is sustainable?
    Eat whatever you want in smaller portions - eat at a deficit every day until you reach your goal. THAT is sustainable and real weight loss not just a quick water weight to see the scales go down for a day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Oh give over , why not try the eating less than you burn healthy sustainable rest of your life diet? These forums are packed with good advice as are the stickys. What will you do after 3 days? The same thing 100 times?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ofc its your choice whether you try it, but I wouldnt go reading too much into the results.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    10 pounds * 3500 calories per pound = 35,000 calories.

35,000 / 3 = 11,667 calories.

If you ate nothing for three days and your TDEE were 11,667 per day, theoretically you could actually lose 10 pounds of fat in 3 days.

I doubt you'd go three days without food and I doubt your TDEE is 11,667. On the other hand, you might lose a lot of water weight that you'd gain right back.

This^

The numbers should bring you back to reality.........