Body shaming at its absolute worst... thoughts please.

Options

Replies

• Igotthatcake
    Igotthatcake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    'One was wearing shockingly skimpy crochet shorts, as seen on size-zero models in adverts'

This line stood out to me and after this I didn't want to read the rest... When have size zero models depicted HEALTH? Why can't big girls wear crochet shorts?. I am also shocked by how many people on here agree with this article. Aren't we supposed to be body confident and encourage each other to feel good about ourselves in the process of out weight loss journeys? I think I signed up to the wrong forum.

This isn't an article or statement about being supportive during a weight loss journey. In fact, it's quiet the opposite. It's an article about the acceptance of overweight in America.

I didn't say it was about being supportive through weightloss,but I am most certainly on a forum that is meant for that particular purpose. When I am reading complete and utter rubbish which daily mail enjoys to throw at the world and agreement towards it on my fitness pal... I do feel slightly concerned that people on here think its fine to fat shame.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that has a physiotherapist on site... Most people that come for treatment are overweight... There is one lady who has had a stroke, she is huge....now she has to do physio to get movement back... I was watching her while I was on the bike the other day and she kept shaking her head to say no to the physio guy when he was taking her to the machines, one was the comfy bike when you lounge out and pedal.... What????

I just think no freakin way I'm want to be like that, bet shes kicking herself now.

I'm afraid I do judge...am I bad. Probally ......
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    'One was wearing shockingly skimpy crochet shorts, as seen on size-zero models in adverts'

This line stood out to me and after this I didn't want to read the rest... When have size zero models depicted HEALTH? Why can't big girls wear crochet shorts?. I am also shocked by how many people on here agree with this article. Aren't we supposed to be body confident and encourage each other to feel good about ourselves in the process of out weight loss journeys? I think I signed up to the wrong forum.

I don't think anyone's said that big girls couldn't wear crochet shorts if that's what they wanted. I think we all pretty much agree that putting others down and calling them names doesn't do anyone any good. Encouragement is definitely the way to go.

What we are saying, though, is that complacency about being overweight or obese is bad, because that excess weight comes with a myriad of expensive health problems. We're also saying that talking about it (tactfully) shouldn't be a taboo.

"Hey, being overweight/obese isn't healthy, I'd like to help you become more healthy," is a far, far cry from saying "hey, you're a fattie and should be ashamed of yourself for abusing your body like that," however, the underlying points are similar -- being overweight/obese is bad for your health, and we should strive to be healthy. The wording, however, makes all the difference, and that's where most of us are drawing the line, here.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    She really opened a can of worms with that article...

I would never call anyone fatty, nor would I call anyone anorexic. It's not my business because it's not my body. As for those that say it is their business because it increases medical costs - I have been overweight/obese for about 15 years, and I have only seen a doctor 5 times in those 15 years for things like strep. I don't get sick very often and don't have any weight related problems. My youngest son racks up $100k per year or more in medical bills, and he has been barely on the bottom of the weight charts his whole life. So many factors cause the increase in medical costs that we see every year.

I want to cry when I see obese kids that can barely run and play. How is shaming people going to make them want to change? How about we make fruit less expensive than cookies? How about making fresh chicken more affordable than processed chicken nuggets? Yes, parents overfeed their kids. It would be a lot less likely that parents would overfeed their kids if they could afford fresh fruits and vegetables. My kids wanted mandarin oranges the last time I went to the grocery store - a 3lb bag was $5.99. I have four kids that would decimate that bag in one day. Or I can buy a box of granola bars at Sam's that lasts a week. It's not always about bad food choices, sometimes it's about not enough money.

That being said, we have managed to keep our kids from getting overweight. I very much wish that I could feed them less processed foods, but I make do with what I can give them. I am just saying there are always two sides to everything...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It looks like the writer took the gold medal in "Jumping to Conclusions" at the 2012 Olympics. What she doesn't know (and honestly has no way of knowing) is what the daily lives of those girls are really like. She comments that they're sharing a bag of crisps (ZOMG! THE HORROR!), but for all we know that bag may have been something convenience store-sized, not the giant family bag intended to serve 20 people at a picnic. She doesn't know if those four agreed to treat themselves to a week on the beach after they'd each lost 50 pounds. For all she knows, they may be joining a fitness getaway where they're running on the beach each day instead of just lounging on it.

While it's possible that she's right, these four are nothing but hamplanets brimming with fatlogic and thinking that they're the next Giselle Bunchen and plan to wear skimpy bikinis to show all the men their "curves", it's far more likely that she's overreacting because of her own disgust of fat. She hates to see it on herself, therefore anyone who is fat is 100 times more disgusting.

We're all guilty of snap judgements. Fortunately we're not all writing about them in the daily paper. She really should have just kept those opinions to herself.

This is perfect.

Is she insinuating that, because those three girls were happy and having fun, that they were not aware of their weight? Preeeeetty sure a fat girl KNOWS she's fat, but does that mean she has no right to find any enjoyment--ever--until/unless she loses weight? I call shenanigans on that. As stated above, these girls could have already lost substantial weight, and are finally able and comfortable to be on their feet for extended periods of time. I do not condone obesity, or "fat celebration" but shame on this author for condemning overweight people to stay in the house and not let themselves be seen. :noway:
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say something that will not earn me any friends.

The lady, as abrasive as she is, has a point. We have, and I see it everyday in my family, became a society of fat-acceptance. Several members of my family have judged ex-girlfriends for being "too skinny" when, in reality, they were at a perfectly healthy weight. They openly did this with great fanfare but, heaven forbid, you call someone fat or even overweight.

As more Americans become more and more overweight and obese the problem increases. Being overweight is not just a case of vanity. If that was the case, then whatever but if you can criticize the skinny, be prepared to get it in return. It's a situation that has lead to sky rocketing health cost, ruined lives, and wrecked families. Of Course, under eating is just as bad. The difference of course is that society accepts the health risk of being underweight and openly criticize those whom are underweight

Fat shaming is not ok but the level of misapplied political correctness that is applied to obesity status is overwhelming. It may not be those children's fault but the day you reach 18, except in special circumstances, it is. Their parents may have shown bad eating habits but that is hardly an excuse. A drug addict is still a drug addict even if their parents started them on it. Not that obesity is as bad as drugs.

We should come down on parents hard that raise obese kids. We are doing no one any favors by not doing it. Those children will, most likely, lead a life wrecked with health problems. Why are we protecting this? Why can't we just be honest and straight forward and say, "look, your kid is overweight. You're putting them at risk." Heaven forbid you say that, yet saying a kid needs to "put a little meat on his bones" is A OK.

To answer you question and to point at the elephant in the room, yes I've been body shamed. I was 6'2 and about 165 lbs, long distance runner and healthy. People told me I was twig and bones and that I was too skinny. I need to gain weight. Being skinny is unattractive. OMG look! I can see you ribs! Give me a break...

/end rant.

This was interesting because it shows the other side of the coin for me. In my family I experienced the total opposite and people were "honest", more than i would have liked. They were cruel and i got more fat because i was constantly told i am fat and that is not acceptable. fat= not lovable? NO.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

You could extrapolate this to wearing any inappropriate clothing for your age, gender, occupation or just to meet societal expectations. I haven't read the article but she is certainly not the only one making comments on how others dress. Just search YouTube for 'the people of Walmart'. I do agree with her that overfeeding an obese child is abuse though. Parents have a responsibility to not harm their children. Overfeeding them does cause long term harm.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options

The lady, as abrasive as she is, has a point. We have, and I see it everyday in my family, became a society of fat-acceptance. Several members of my family have judged ex-girlfriends for being "too skinny" when, in reality, they were at a perfectly healthy weight. They openly did this with great fanfare but, heaven forbid, you call someone fat or even overweight.

As more Americans become more and more overweight and obese the problem increases. Being overweight is not just a case of vanity. If that was the case, then whatever but if you can criticize the skinny, be prepared to get it in return. It's a situation that has lead to sky rocketing health cost, ruined lives, and wrecked families. Of Course, under eating is just as bad. The difference of course is that society accepts the health risk of being underweight and openly criticize those whom are underweight

Fat shaming is not ok but the level of misapplied political correctness that is applied to obesity status is overwhelming. It may not be those children's fault but the day you reach 18, except in special circumstances, it is. Their parents may have shown bad eating habits but that is hardly an excuse. A drug addict is still a drug addict even if their parents started them on it. Not that obesity is as bad as drugs.

We should come down on parents hard that raise obese kids. We are doing no one any favors by not doing it. Those children will, most likely, lead a life wrecked with health problems. Why are we protecting this? Why can't we just be honest and straight forward and say, "look, your kid is overweight. You're putting them at risk." Heaven forbid you say that, yet saying a kid needs to "put a little meat on his bones" is A OK.

To answer you question and to point at the elephant in the room, yes I've been body shamed. I was 6'2 and about 165 lbs, long distance runner and healthy. People told me I was twig and bones and that I was too skinny. I need to gain weight. Being skinny is unattractive. OMG look! I can see you ribs! Give me a break...

/end rant.

Totally agree! Obesity is costing the health care system aka your tax dollars.

As a fat person, I one hundred percent agree that my weight is unhealthy, and I am working hard to fix that. But the problem I have with the article is the fact that she seems to think that a person's worth to the world, as well as their self-worth, should be tied to their body weight, and that I vehemently disagree with.

Yes, I am a fat person. But that is not all that I am. I am smart, I have a M.D. and am working as a gastrointestinal pathologist at a major academic hospital in the US.

I am compassionate and care deeply about others.

I have a wonderful sense of humor.

I am more than my weight.

Yes, my weight is something I need to work on. But we all have flaws. Mine are just visible to the outside world.

And pardon my language, but I don't give a rats a** about folks tax dollars. I pay more in taxes than most folks, but I don't go bashing poor people because they aren't in the same tax bracket as I am.
  • whatwhatwhatwhatwhat
    Options
    She's just projecting her worthlessness on everyone else.
    It's sad really.
    Her other "articles" are just as pointless.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    [/quote]

"As a fat person, I one hundred percent agree that my weight is unhealthy, and I am working hard to fix that. But the problem I have with the article is the fact that she seems to think that a person's worth to the world, as well as their self-worth, should be tied to their body weight, and that I vehemently disagree with.

Yes, I am a fat person. But that is not all that I am. I am smart, I have a M.D. and am working as a gastrointestinal pathologist at a major academic hospital in the US.

Yes, my weight is something I need to work on. But we all have flaws. Mine are just visible to the outside world.

And pardon my language, but I don't give a rats a** about folks tax dollars. I pay more in taxes than most folks, but I don't go bashing poor people because they aren't in the same tax bracket as I am."
    [/quote]

Thank you. I am not worthless because I am fat. I deserve happiness the same as everyone else. I have been wondering who will treat me differently once I lose this weight. The people that finally talk to me after years of ignoring the fat mom at school... I don't need friends like that.

Edited because it's not showing the quote as a quote. Put quotaions around PP quote.
  • GraceCamD
    GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just got done reading "Letting Ana Go", a true story of a teen girl who dies because of Aneroxia, it was terribly tragic and horribly distorted thinking, it was her actual diary.....the ten commandments of dieting like-I must feel guilty and punish myself if I overeat, only thin=attractive if your not thin your not attractive, being thin is more important than being healthy,thou shal not eat without feeling guilty, thou shalt always restrict your calories.... I could go on and on they were all messed up.....I bought it because my teen son was reading it , who has recently lost a great amount of weight and I was alarmed.....the book ends with her autopsy report, the author is anonymous even though it is true, and the reviews were saying not to read it because it is a trigger....I feel guilty because my kids have heard me call myself so many things growing up if i did not feel skinny enough, fat, cow, disgusting...even when i was only a few pounds over weight......its this culture....I don't hardly watch TV anymore because it messed up my thinking watching certain shows, almost like a trigger because all you see are these "fake" woman that have had tons of plastic surgury and liposuction, they are not real women they are plastic dolls, but we see them and think we have to live up to that, especially young girls....it's really a shame...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    OP of that article is also a cashier at Trader Joe's.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

/end rant.

Totally agree! Obesity is costing the health care system aka your tax dollars.

As a fat person, I one hundred percent agree that my weight is unhealthy, and I am working hard to fix that. But the problem I have with the article is the fact that she seems to think that a person's worth to the world, as well as their self-worth, should be tied to their body weight, and that I vehemently disagree with.

And pardon my language, but I don't give a rats a** about folks tax dollars. I pay more in taxes than most folks, but I don't go bashing poor people because they aren't in the same tax bracket as I am.

I think the conversation is turning away from objectiveness about the dangers, cost, and behaviors of obesity and turning more personal so this will be my last topic on the subject. I understand why it can turn personal.

I don't think anyone here is advocating that a person's worth is measured by the scale. My post, which you quoted, most certainly didn't imply that in any way. I don't think pointing out to people that I know that they are overweight (they know) and being overweight comes with health and monetary risk is attacking their worth as a person. There may be a little chip on your shoulder if you read that from a comment like that.
  • Igotthatcake
    Options

I don't think anyone's said that big girls couldn't wear crochet shorts if that's what they wanted. I think we all pretty much agree that putting others down and calling them names doesn't do anyone any good. Encouragement is definitely the way to go.

What we are saying, though, is that complacency about being overweight or obese is bad, because that excess weight comes with a myriad of expensive health problems. We're also saying that talking about it (tactfully) shouldn't be a taboo.

"Hey, being overweight/obese isn't healthy, I'd like to help you become more healthy," is a far, far cry from saying "hey, you're a fattie and should be ashamed of yourself for abusing your body like that," however, the underlying points are similar -- being overweight/obese is bad for your health, and we should strive to be healthy. The wording, however, makes all the difference, and that's where most of us are drawing the line, here.

Yes I understand but if health was the only reason she wrote this article I would have agreed with her. I would have seen it as a way of her trying to help the world, but with her disgusting choice of vocabulary and clear hatred for bigger people. I found the article uncomfortable to read and sadly I had the misfortune of reading the writing of a sad human being who takes pride in fat shaming and is a AND I QUOTE 'Self-confessed fattist'.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In the Daily Fail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2686676/Why-todays-young-women-unashamed-fat-Horrified-rolls-flesh-shes-witnessed-summer-LINDA-KELSEY-takes-no-prisoners.html

Obviously this is an opinion piece but I am quite uncomfortable with both the article and the comments (which involve body shaming at both ends of the spectrum, i.e 'fat people are gross' as well as 'only dogs like bones').

I was just wondering what people thought and if you have ever been guilty of body shaming (intentionally or otherwise)?

Also, given that no one is perfect and that people's view of what is beautiful is subjective, is it ever OK to comment on another person in this way or would it be different if this article had been written about a celebrity for example?

I did not really see anything wrong with the article, the author was right. In the end we all end up paying for the greed of food.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    "As a fat person, I one hundred percent agree that my weight is unhealthy, and I am working hard to fix that. But the problem I have with the article is the fact that she seems to think that a person's worth to the world, as well as their self-worth, should be tied to their body weight, and that I vehemently disagree with.

And pardon my language, but I don't give a rats a** about folks tax dollars. I pay more in taxes than most folks, but I don't go bashing poor people because they aren't in the same tax bracket as I am."
    [/quote]

Thank you. I am not worthless because I am fat. I deserve happiness the same as everyone else. I have been wondering who will treat me differently once I lose this weight. The people that finally talk to me after years of ignoring the fat mom at school... I don't need friends like that.

Edited because it's not showing the quote as a quote. Put quotaions around PP quote.
    [/quote]

Obviously your MD did not help your attitude.

What you seem to miss is that there were others before you who paid taxes and probably more than you are paying now.
  • GraceCamD
    GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was off topic just wanted to show we also all pay for this cultures emphasis on only skinny is beautiful and fake perfect bodies and how people die from it every day, with that wrong thinking, God Bless:smile:
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The best thing in the article is that the author says she says she doesn't have a daughter.

I agree 100% - I am sure a daughter of this woman would have severe issues with food and self image from an early age.

Yes being overweight is unhealthy and potentially damaging to the body but so is being under-weight. However I think it is completely wrong to SHAME any one about their body, be they underweight, 'normal' weight, overweight,heavily muscled,wiry etc.

Also from personal experience, someone who is overweight appearing to be 'happy' with their size/body is 9 times out of 10 an absolutely MASSIVE (no pun intended) act
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Edited because it's not showing the quote as a quote. Put quotations around PP quote.
    [/quote]:happy: :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: I chose not to read the article but was moved by this post... and decided to reply with bold.
  • Igotthatcake
    Options
    She really opened a can of worms with that article...

I would never call anyone fatty, nor would I call anyone anorexic. It's not my business because it's not my body. As for those that say it is their business because it increases medical costs - I have been overweight/obese for about 15 years, and I have only seen a doctor 5 times in those 15 years for things like strep. I don't get sick very often and don't have any weight related problems. My youngest son racks up $100k per year or more in medical bills, and he has been barely on the bottom of the weight charts his whole life. So many factors cause the increase in medical costs that we see every year.

I want to cry when I see obese kids that can barely run and play. How is shaming people going to make them want to change? How about we make fruit less expensive than cookies? How about making fresh chicken more affordable than processed chicken nuggets? Yes, parents overfeed their kids. It would be a lot less likely that parents would overfeed their kids if they could afford fresh fruits and vegetables. My kids wanted mandarin oranges the last time I went to the grocery store - a 3lb bag was $5.99. I have four kids that would decimate that bag in one day. Or I can buy a box of granola bars at Sam's that lasts a week. It's not always about bad food choices, sometimes it's about not enough money.

That being said, we have managed to keep our kids from getting overweight. I very much wish that I could feed them less processed foods, but I make do with what I can give them. I am just saying there are always two sides to everything...

Thank you. I liked the way you put out that comment. I live in UK but of course we face the same problem going to our supermarkets. There were times when my mum would run out of money at the check out counter and have to put things back. Nutritious meals were the last of our priorities. Now that I am older my health is in my own hands. My mum didn't raise unhealthy obese children, for what its worth my mum was a great example of a mum. The way this women went about with this article was very wrong. Sad she feels so strongly about a life she doesn't have to lead. I understand it was to warn people but shaming them won't do the trick.