Just HOW do you deal with INCONSIDERATE partners

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Well my guy would eat somewhere else if I were serving kale and tofu. That being said, I had the same issue with my husband for many years. Back in the day, folks didn't "shack up" before marriage, so I had this expectation of hubby being home for dinner every night at a reasonable time. Well, he would work late, not call, eat a big business lunch, etc. There were many dried out dinners, dinners eaten by myself in front of the tube, etc. Once we had kids, I usually fed the kids at 5 or 6 and if I knew for sure he was coming home, I would make dinner for him. Most of the time, I ate with the kids. Then, he got really into baseball -- coaching, umpiring, etc., so he wasn't coming home until after the games -- 8 or 8:30. I finally decided that I'd eat what I wanted to eat when I wanted to eat, and he could fend for himself. Sometimes there would be enough for him, sometimes not. It actually got a lot easier for me when I "let go" of the idea that I was to expect him home for dinner and make something. Now, he calls me if he's coming home at reasonable dinner hour, and I'll make something then. Otherwise, it's every person for him/herself. The same goes for my adult sons. No one cut their hands off -- they can open a refrigerator, a can, a microwave, whatever. Maybe twice a week we have a real family or couples dinner.
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    :noway: :huh: Does not compute

Can you not eat dinner without him? How does this affect your dinner eating in any way?

this x 1 million
  • VeronicaG2B
    VeronicaG2B Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    He needs to pay for Friday night dinner with the girls.

While he eats cold kale leftovers.

No mercy. Teach 'em now.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1nsfG_18U6oQccqadV4vVuCbKdBGMA1VkJ04xD1xGVYJxymYfsQ
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Oh, and no way in hell would he ever eat kal saute and some tofu with bean sprouts! Neither would I for that matter!:laugh:

I'm with you on this one!:noway:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you recognize it's your fault. Funny stuff.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.
    You think he is being inconsiderate? I am still trying to work out how you came to that conclusion.
    If the most inconsiderate thing he ever does is not eat your kale, tofu and beansprout concoction then you are very lucky.

I would never expect my fella to eat this if he didn't want to, same as I wouldnt eat things I don't want to.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    cholesterol_testoserone.jpg

NOTE: Men *need* cholesterol to be men.

Edit image size
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that you are not upset that he is not watching what he eats. Just NOO! You deserve better!
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    This is probably the question he is asking hid fiends and family about you
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    And to put it bluntly.. I am $(*%& hungry. - You shouldn't be that hungry.

I have my three meals a day and that's what works for me. I have carefully, meticulously shopped so that every meal is just right. - It obviously doesn't work for you if you are $(*%& hungry. Maybe break that into 5 meals.

And I get an email today from my fiance. "sorry, I won't want the dinner you were planning on making tonight.... I ate too much at lunch". - That was considerate of him to let you know ahead of time.

REALLY? SO IT'S MY FAULT HE PIGS OUT? - Making you sound a little crazy.
    I had a perfectly nice dinner of kale saute and some tofu with bean sprouts.. AND HE WON'T EAT IT. - Most people wouldn't eat that for dinner. Doesn't sound that good to me. Just eat your dinner. Why does he have to eat with you?

He told me I can just "call my friends and go for a nice dinner" and he even said he'd pay. But I don't have the calories for it. - Really? Is it his fault you don't have the calories for it? He's paying - I would go!

What do you do when people are just so rude and won't get with the program.
    I thought I had a partner. - He wasn't rude. He doesn't need to "get with the program". He can still be a partner without getting with your program.

I just have somebody who likes ribs and doritos. - Nothing wrong with that. Who doesn't like ribs and doritos?
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That feel when my SO and I have a relationship built on IIFYM. :drinker:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    He needs to pay for Friday night dinner with the girls.

While he eats cold kale leftovers.

No mercy. Teach 'em now.

Really? I hope you aren't serious.
    It's women like you..... SMH
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you purchased his nose ring yet? That should pull him in line.

And.. if you continue eating like that, you will get in the yo-yo loop. Your body thinks it is starving so anytime you eat ANYTHING it will hoard every single calorie to fat... just wait and see.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So here's the story. I'm getting married soon blah blah. Super duper pumped. Yay. Stress eating has caused me to gain a few pounds, so I'm reigning in my diet.

And to put it bluntly.. I am $(*%& hungry.

I have my three meals a day and that's what works for me. I have carefully, meticulously shopped so that every meal is just right.

And I get an email today from my fiance. "sorry, I won't want the dinner you were planning on making tonight.... I ate too much at lunch".

REALLY? SO IT'S MY FAULT HE PIGS OUT?
    I had a perfectly nice dinner of kale saute and some tofu with bean sprouts.. AND HE WON'T EAT IT.

He told me I can just "call my friends and go for a nice dinner" and he even said he'd pay. But I don't have the calories for it.

What do you do when people are just so rude and won't get with the program.
    I thought I had a partner.

I just have somebody who likes ribs and doritos.

Take him up on the offer! Have a salad and TONS of drinks with your friends, stay out late, have fun. Crunch the gym tomorrow if you gotta, or make today your day off.

Then pick a fight with him tomorrow about how you worked HARD on dinner for HIM. Act 100x madder than you are. He'll never do THAT again.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Your relationship is obviously hopeless. Break up.

I wouldn't want sauteed bug spra--I mean, kale--either.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Tofu and bean sprouts? Are you trying to kill him?
    no,,shes trying to get HIM to call off the wedding..cause I would if someone tried to make me eat that!
  • chelsealfinn
    chelsealfinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What he did was actually very considerate. The only time that I get upset when my boyfriend doesn't eat what I've cooked is when I've worked hard on something (he knows in advance that I'm cooking something time consuming or complicated) and he DIDN'T tell me that he already ate a big/late lunch because then I probably would have made myself something easier. I don't get upset when he doesn't like something or even when he wants to eat something else in the fridge instead. Also, please consider that you are feeding a MAN and not a rabbit.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you're expecting him to have the same dietary preferences, cravings, etc. as you.....well that's just setting yourself up for failure. If you want to make changes in YOUR life for YOU, then YOU need to do that - regardless of your surroundings and the people around you. Yes it is easier to live among people with the same goals as you, but it's not realistic, unless you're planning on living in a gym anytime soon.

When i changed up my eating habits, i was living with my 2 parents - both binge eaters and literally obese - and my younger brother, whom was on the same path. My mother tried to sabotage my efforts at getting healthy, by putting me down when i opted for healthier foods when the rest of my family would eat fast food/pizza/etc. I didn't blame her for not making me healthier food though, because i found myself accepting the reality that my parents simply didn't care about their health as much as i did - which is totally their prerogative.

If you want to actually have a smooth and stable relationship with your partner, you need to avoid being enmeshed, and assuming that you one unit, as opposed to two separate people in a relationship....each with their own likes, dislikes, and desires. That includes food. Besides, why expect him to respect your dietary choices, if you get so frustrated by his?

PS. It was very sweet that he offered to pay for your night out, and it's totally possible to eat healthy, without being obsessive over it. Go out and enjoy yourself every now and then: such a rigid dietary plan isn't realistic, or healthy (in a mental aspect, if not physical as well).
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Honestly .. if that annoys you. Marriage will be a big shock.