• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I just bought this

HaloTop-Protein-Ice-Cream-m.gif

For those 'god where did all of my calories go' nights.

I'm looking at it now with regret deep in the pit of my stomach, but I also got this

rbk-ice-cream-steves-salty-caramel-lgn.jpg

and this

medium_62a0ef0ba3ebea9fd237d03a4a4b6afc834c1267.jpg

So hopefully those will ease any sadness over the lemon cake. Either way I have a deep freezer so I have lots of room to try stuff.

That dark chocolate salty caramel.... might make me cry tears of joy if I can find that in my area...
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are simply trying to sabotage me now that the be at the beach every weekend or if you are being a friend and giving looking out for a brother.

I'm going to assume your intentions are in good spirits and I will visit that spot ASAP. I will enjoy every moment and take 100 pictures.

I figured since you're in Queens you're not THAT close, so you won't walk by every day. (I, on the other hand, ride my bike past that corner almost every day--I'm both giddy and a little scared.) Also, apparently Ample Hills has a flavor called "salted crack caramel." Somebody's got to taste that and report back. I know it's a tough job, but I nominate you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So I bought some Breyer's triple chocolate gelato.... frankly not bad at all for the calories (although to be fair, I had to have a bit more than one serving to have a decent amount of each type of chocolate, so it ended up more calories than Talenti). I actually went to Target to buy some Talenti hazelnut and realized at home that somehow it never made it in my bags (nor did I pay for it at least). I have no idea what happened to it. So I'll have to go back. Bleh.

Does Target have the chocolate hazelnut or just the regular hazelnut?

Just hazelnut. It's delicious though.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I get a vicarious thrill from the gelato and ice cream threads. I devour every description and ogle each picture. Because my husband is diabetic and follows a very restricted diet, I avoid bringing off-limits foods he used to love into the house. Carry on with your bad selves and I'll continue to admire from a distance. :flowerforyou:

Can he have some of the no sugar added/reduced fat ice creams? I know they sound awful, but they actually taste terrific! The ones I've had average 90 to 130 calories/half cup and between 15 and 25 grams carbs and between 5 and 9 grams sugar per serving. Depending on the flavor, they're virtually indistinguishable from regular ice cream.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I get a vicarious thrill from the gelato and ice cream threads. I devour every description and ogle each picture. Because my husband is diabetic and follows a very restricted diet, I avoid bringing off-limits foods he used to love into the house. Carry on with your bad selves and I'll continue to admire from a distance. :flowerforyou:
    Can he have some of the no sugar added/reduced fat ice creams? I know they sound awful, but they actually taste terrific! The ones I've had average 90 to 130 calories/half cup and between 15 and 25 grams carbs and between 5 and 9 grams sugar per serving. Depending on the flavor, they're virtually indistinguishable from regular ice cream.
    No slam on diabetes so don't take this there but ewwwww

Yeah, I'm diabetic, too, so I have to take what I can get. But the fact is that so far the flavors have not disappointed. It's "just" Kroger's ice cream, but I broke down and tried the Rocky Road. It tastes so good that I feel guilty about eating it, but so far I've been able to eat it with no ill effects. :D (But yeah . . . salted caramel . . . *whimper*)

*Edited to fix code*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I tried the Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom one. :sick:

Do not buy that one. Nopenopenope.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I just bought this

I'm looking at it now with regret deep in the pit of my stomach, but I also got this

and this

So hopefully those will ease any sadness over the lemon cake. Either way I have a deep freezer so I have lots of room to try stuff.

They don't have the dark chocolate one at the store I visited today. But they do have the salty caramel so let me know how it is.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just bought this

and this

They don't have the dark chocolate one at the store I visited today. But they do have the salty caramel so let me know how it is.

It's delicious.

I've never actually had it, but I can already tell you with absolute certainty that it is delicious...

...because salty caramel *regular* ice cream the way God intended it? That's delicious. You can take that to the bank...

...and then eat it while you're standing in one of those long bank lines.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just bought this

and this

It's delicious.

I've never actually had it, but I can already tell you with absolute certainty that it is delicious...

...because salty caramel *regular* ice cream the way God intended it? That's delicious. You can take that to the bank...

...and then eat it while you're standing in one of those long bank lines.

This fine gentlemen is correct. I had a little bit while thinking over an issue I was having with some granola and there was a really serious moment when I wasn't sure if I wanted lunch or more ice cream. Maybe the best salted caramel I've had to date.

Gonna try the dark chocolate tomorrow I think
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Now I'm a little annoyed that I went with the Jeni's. Which is good, don't get me wrong. But now I want the Steve's. I guess I can get some on Thursday when I go back, as long as I buy another freezer on the way.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Now I'm a little annoyed that I went with the Jeni's. Which is good, don't get me wrong. But now I want the Steve's. I guess I can get some on Thursday when I go back, as long as I buy another freezer on the way.
    I will report back soon. I just picked up the Salty Caramel along with a Bananas Foster ice cream from a different brand.

I think you'll be pleased. Creamy, sweet, salty...yum
  • leftinthekitchen
    Options
    If I was going to try Steve's or Jeni's, what's the one flavor I should get? I think I'm going to spring for one of the more expensive ones tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to get.
    I'd get Jeni's Salty Caramel. The Black Coffee is good if you are really into coffee. The Brambleberry Crisp is quite tasty as well.

Did you guys know Jeni has a cookbook? She's actually my friend's husband's cousin... doesn't help me get free ice cream tho...

http://jenis.com/cookbooks/jenis-splendid-ice-cream-desserts/

OMG I just realized when I was on the Jeni's website they have expanded their stores that carry it in St. Louis - it is now in one of the major grocery chains - still not where I shop but it is much more likely that I will go to one of these in the foreseeable future! Happy day!

Yes, I knew about the cookbook but that would ruin everything. I love to cook, it's my job, but I leave the ice cream to Jeni. Also I went on the website last night and there is now one 27 miles from me. I might have to bike ride my way there and back but it would be so worth it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Sorry MrM
  • Achrya
    Options
    O_o