Tall girls...goal weight?

Options
I have a question for the taller girls...5'7 and taller. I stand 5'8. I weigh 140. I have noticed a lot of women on here with goals or an actual weight of around 120 lbs. I feel good about my weight, but am questioning if I need to lose more? I have a healthy BMI, I feel good, and I am in a size 5 pants size. Should I lose MORE weight? I mean, it would definitely be a new challenge for me, but I'm not sure how I would look. I think I could lose more, but what makes you guys want to be 120? I mean, with how tall we are, I think that even at 150 we look fit. Is it for your health? BMI? Or is it looks? Just wondering!!

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would go with how you feel.

I'm 5'9" and most charts say I "should" be around 150 or so.

YEAH RIGHT! At I 167 I felt too skinny. But that was just how I felt. So I know I'm best around 170 or so.

It's all about how you feel so if you are feeling good, looking good, then run with it! Be happy and healthy!

Katie
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    For me, I am 5'8" with a target BMI range of 120-164 pounds. I am aiming for 150. If you are going to be our height and 120, you have to have very small bone structure and probably a very low muscle mass. I have medium bone structure and fairly developed muscle mass, so I will not be trying to go below the middle point of my range. I am ~166 pounds right now and fitting into an 8 or a 10 pant, depending on the cut.

You are right in the middle of your healthy range and are probably fine to maintain there. If you are not sure, go somewhere and get an accurate body fat % test done, and if you are healthy or low there, you are probably good. If it is still high, you can probably lose some more. Hope that helps!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and I have a very large bone structure. My goal weight is 180, which I know looks and feels good on me. I might drop another 10 when I reach that point just so I am within the healthy BMI, but I don't want to weigh less than 170 because I have been thinner than that before and it doesn't look or feel good on me.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 also and I'm aiming to be 150 (I'm 189 right now). 140's really in the middle range of healthyness for that height, so as long as you're comfortable in your clothes there's really no reason to keep losing.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Check the BMI and choose a goal weight based on being normal. I am 5'7" and chose 150 and that gets me to normal. That being said - I may take an extra 10 off and be smack in the center of normal. Once I get to 150 I will be able to tell. I think age has something to do with it also. In my 20's I was 135 (same height).
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9". At my thinnest (a few years ago) was 125 - THAT WAS TOO TOO THIN FOR MY PERSONAL FRAME. My goal is around 145 now. You need to take into account your personal frame.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with the way you look, and you are at a healthy weight and BMI, I would stay at that weight, and just work at maintaining it. 140 lbs is a very healthy weight for someone your height.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    For me, I am 5'8"... I am ~166 pounds right now and fitting into an 8 or a 10 pant, depending on the cut.

And amber this shows you why you have to decide for you. I'm an inch taller and 3 pounds lighter and my butt's in a 12 right now (I can force it into a 10 but it's not pretty and could probably be dangerous if the button blows off). It's totally dependent on your frame.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7' and I chose to go with 130. Honestly, I don't know what weight is right for me. I picked that number based on what a girl told me once. She said she was 130 pounds and felt fat. All I could think was that I would kill to be 130. :) I really have NO CLUE what the right weight is for me. I definitely want to be in the healthy BMI section... So, that's anywhere from 160 to 120 (I believe). I've never been skinny... EVER. I don't know what will look right on me, what I used to be comfortable with, etc. I'll just keep going until I feel right. Doesn't matter if it's more or less than 130.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my goal weight is 145-150. Right now I am 164 and i started here at 192 : )
    I've been 155 before and I looked good HOWEVER, i wasn't toned. I want to be toned and 145-150.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I'm 5'9.25'' (every little bit counts, right?) My first goal weight is 170 to be in the Healthy BMI range again, but then i'm shooting for anywhere from 150-160. I was 140 a few years ago and even I think I looked pretty sick/too skinny...but every girl's body is different, so just go with where you feel best at. You know your body better than anyone :smile:
  • lizzy755
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and at 174 pounds I'm just on the border of 'healthy' BMI. I want to get down to 147 but that's just me. Go for whatever goal is healthy but right for you :)
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" (my boyfriend swears I'm taller) and currently at 123lbs. My goal weight is 115-120. I am thin, but I'm also surprisingly strong for my weight. I like being thin because I can fit into tighter places (I'm a rock climber) and sneak through crowds of people when I run in races. The most important thing is that you're comfortable at whatever your weight is (or you're comfortable with your goal weight). A size 5 is coveted by many, many women- so congrats on that!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and my goal weight is 155-165. I have a large bone structure...and at 120 I would look like death.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'11.5 and I definately say go with how you feel. My doctor, the BMI charts and target weight charts all tell me that I should be around 160-170...ummm.no...the lowest I've ever been was 173 before kids and I looked ill and had to practically starve. My personal goal is 185. Most women think this is too big but for me, I will be screaming and doing cart wheels as if I weighed 120 when I get there :) Good luck!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My wife is 5"11 and weighs 140. She is farily fit but could easily weigh more if she put on a bit of muscle and could weigh a bit less and still be all in proportion.
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'11.5 and I definately say go with how you feel. My doctor, the BMI charts and target weight charts all tell me that I should be around 160-170...ummm.no...the lowest I've ever been was 173 before kids and I looked ill and had to practically starve. My personal goal is 185. Most women think this is too big but for me, I will be screaming and doing cart wheels as if I weighed 120 when I get there :) Good luck!

DEAR LORD YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

/sorry if that was creepy
  • shanikaj29
    Options
    IAM 5'7 AND 185LBS MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 150LBS.I SAY IF YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT WERE YOU ARE THAN WORK WITH GIRL.I THINK IF I GO PAST 150 I WILL LOOK SO SMALL.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I DO feel good where I'm at. Just been there for a little while now and getting a little bored maintaining and thinking of losing a few more lbs. I never really thought about my frame...I guess I would say I'm a medium sized frame. Thank you all for your perspective!!!
  • pinky1988
    Options
    1. Do not judge your body according to anyone else.

2. You should only be concerned about your BMI and even then it should still be about health and being in shape.

Think about your shoe size, bigger feet were made to hold up more weight and height, and smaller feet et cetera.

Im 5;10 and wear a size 10.5 11 and the smallest Ive been in adulthood is 165-170 and i wore a size 10!! PPl asked if I was starving myself. Whereas a size 12 for a shorter woman may cause her to look obese.

It all has to do with your body type. Even at my smallest my still had full breast and wide hips and thats where my weight goes.

So if you are at normal weight then just strive to get in shape and remain healthy.