Tall girls...goal weight?

Options

Replies

• otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yay tall girls!

I am 5'9 and hit my heaviest in the fall of 2010. I was staying away from the scale, but believe I was at 180-185. I found MFP in the beginning of March at 177.9lbs and have been conisistently logging for 7 1/2 weeks. I am down 15 lbs, and fitting into my skinnest clothes. I dropped a dress size last week, and am now into a 10, way to small for a 12! Getting compliments and feeling great at 162.7, but hoping to hit 160 in the next couple of weeks!

What matters most is that you are healthy, comfortable in your skin, and have confidence. Best of luck to all of us!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    *waves* I'm 5'8" and would like to get to 150. Lowest I've been is 125 and that was my anorexic phase. My body seems to "set" it's self between 150-160lbs when I'm eating right/exercising normal. I know I have a few friends that would like to see me back at 135 but ya know, that's more work than I'm willing to invest. Oh and Doc said she would like me about 150.
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    i am 5'9 and i have read that a "healthy" weight for me is anywhere between 125-170. i cannot ever see myself weighing 120 without looking disgustingly sick! I'm aiming for 150-160. We'll see how i feel when i get there! But i would never go lower then 140.

go with how you feel. if you are healthy, and feel great, then just maintain your weight!
  • stefvance32
    Options
    I am 6'1" and have been since I was 11. It is amazing how everyone is built so differently at the same weight and height! The human body is amazing. I've never been overweight. I joined here to lose 10-15 lbs just cause I'd gotten a little soft. I played basketball up into college so I never had to think about cardio on my own. My highest weight was 186 earlier this year. I'd be more comfortable being 170-175. I pretty much have always worn a 10-12 size no matter what. I love being tall but am terrified of being a giant fat girl. Just have to get down to where you feel comfortable numbers shouldn't matter.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have always been overweight/obese, according to the official ranges. I would just be happy to be in the "normal" range. My goal weight is 160. I'd still be curvy enough for my husband but healthy enough for me. I think I would look disgusting at 120.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1" and have been since I was 11. It is amazing how everyone is built so differently at the same weight and height! The human body is amazing. I've never been overweight. I joined here to lose 10-15 lbs just cause I'd gotten a little soft. I played basketball up into college so I never had to think about cardio on my own. My highest weight was 186 earlier this year. I'd be more comfortable being 170-175. I pretty much have always worn a 10-12 size no matter what. I love being tall but am terrified of being a giant fat girl. Just have to get down to where you feel comfortable numbers shouldn't matter.

One thing about being a tall fat girl is that we wear it well...thank goodness!! LOL I soooooo remember those good ole days of playing basket ball and running track. I didn't have to worry about nothing...and ate everything. I wish someone told me that after college and wasn't participating in sports that all that would have to change :grumble: lol

Oh well you are doing the right thing. Keep an eye on your weight now. I was 200 lbs after college and then after my 2nd & 3rd child I didn't lose any baby weight...they are 15 months apart. I was at my highest 324lbs....NEVER AGAIN!! 180 here I come!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" - 5'8" and right now fluctuate between 145 - 148 but I have a smaller, althetically built frame (smaller upper body but larger legs from all the years playing soccer/basketball/softball/tennis, however the legs and bum are NOWHERE near as toned as they once were). Which by the way makes it almost impossible to find jeans that fit... So frustrating!

Anyway, when I graduated high school I weighed 112 lbs.... very, very skinny and ate anything and everything I wanted. I still thought I was fat, but I was trying to compare myself to the 5'0" cheerleaders that weighed maybe 90lbs! Then I went to college and put on NOT the freshmen 15 more like the freshmen 45! I went from wearing size 2 to wearing a size 10-12. Too much beer, late night food, and NO excercise. I lived at home after freshmen year and life guarded at a fitness center. I swam probably 3 miles a day on my breaks, did the eleptical, and lifted weights 6 times a week! Its amazing how dedicated you can become if you're dating a regular gym member, I don't think I skipped a workout ever, b/c that meant I wouldn't get to see him that day! By the end of the summer I weight about 142 lbs but had about 12%BF. I was by far in the best shape of my life, no one believed I weighed that much. I was back wearing size 4. Then I went back to college and wasn't so strict with my workout and/or diet. I stayed pretty much the same weight just wasn't ripped like before.

I then got into another relationship which was an emotionally abusive one and every time I even talked about wanting to work out or get back in shape his response was, "for who? What guy are you trying to impress? I love you how you are, you're just going to leave me if you lose weight..." and so on and so on. I think this really took a toll on my psyche and has caused some long term self esteem issues that I'm still trying to get under control.

Fast forward about 8 years down the road and I am now married to the most wonderful supportive man, who has taken a high interest in fitness as well. He does get frustrated with me when I say I need to lose weight, but in actuallity I'm fine with my weight I'd just like to tone my bottom half. I have a round face and always seem to gain weight there first... even if I put on 5 lbs I think it all goes straight to my face. So I see my face appearing rounder in pictures then my body dismorphia kicks in and I see my over all body being much larger than what it is!

Anyway, I would like to get down to get into the 135-140 range. I was there for my wedding (10/25/2010) and thought I looked pretty darn good, but as a lot of people do I put on about 10-15 lbs the first 6 months we were married. I don't have goals to be like ripped like I once was, just leaner, and stronger. I also want to be comfortable in my skin this summer when we go to the lake!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Sheesh. I'm 5'8" and my goal is 180. If I lose more, great.

I have lots of sagging skin so my goal is more along the lines of "Does the body under the extra skin look decent?". No use getting plastic surgery until it does. :-D
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and I have a very large bone structure. My goal weight is 180, which I know looks and feels good on me. I might drop another 10 when I reach that point just so I am within the healthy BMI, but I don't want to weigh less than 170 because I have been thinner than that before and it doesn't look or feel good on me.

I agree. I am also 5'10" with a large structure. I started at 230 and was at 187 on my last weigh in. My goal is 175. I could never go below 170 (charts say 169 would be good) because it looks unhealthy and is impossible to maintain. I think that how you feel physically and feel about how you look is more important than what any chart says.
    Amber
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Holy schnike Desirai!!! What awesome progress!!!

I am 5'7", and my goal weight is 135. I'm not really sure where that number came from, but it's always been in my head since I was a teenager that 135 is what I should weigh. In 2006 I got down to 151.5 doing Nutrisystem over 4 months (I was super, super strict), which is my lowest adult weight. I looked good and wore an 8 in most things (sometimes a 10, sometimes even a 6, depending on the cut). I felt good, but even today I look at pictures of my honeymoon with me in shorts and think, I still had fat legs and was a little squishy overall. I'd rather weigh more and be less squishy. I think hitting 135 would mean a lot of that squishiness would be gone, but how much muscle would I have to show for it? I used to be athletic until I got to college (I'm 30 now), and I'm not a weakling, but my guess is that my muscle tone isn't what it used to be. So I'd be ok with the 150s if I were more toned.

It's funny, though, what we think of as a "happy" weight. I once hit 205 when I was in college, and over the next summer I did Herbalife (I really wonder what the hell I was putting in my body) and lost 40+ pounds. Suddenly I was the talk of my guy friends, who saw me as suddenly hot and dateable, and around campus guys would hold open the door for me, whereas before they would ignore me. I think part of it was a confidence thing, too, but when you are 205 and then are suddenly 160ish, you look hot. If I'd gone from 135 to 160 over the summer, I'd have been ignored... so a lot of it is about perspective!

Don't let those around you dictate what you should be, either, since it's so individual. I have always been the thinnest member of my immediate family. My dad and brother have both had gastric bypass surgery. My sister had lap-band surgery. My mom starved herself when she was in college to be thin (she was 5'8" and 114 pounds on her wedding day in 1969) but is obese now. My other brother is obese. I was always the one who had only crossed into obese territory that one time (when I ended up doing Herbalife) and was the "thin" one. My dad would tell me I was too thin all the time and would try to get me to eat. When I got down into the 150s back in 2006, my family would joke that I shouldn't lose any more weight, lest I start looking like Nicole Ritchie (in her Skeletor phase). They would see me eat something and joke that I better stop eating or I would start ballooning up again. Gee, thanks for the support! But point being they've always thought I was too thin. I look at pictures and think, no, I wasn't, but I was close to where I should have been - their opinions were moot.

So set your goal for yourself. No one else has to live in your body but you.

Good luck!

Rebecca
    5'7"
    SW: 234
    CW: 232
    GW: 135 but would be thrilled to be at or below 150!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks beccalinda!
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Its all about how you feel im 5'10 and im 135 but i would like to be 125. SOme would think its to thin but that weight will make me happy
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and aiming for 170 lbs right now. It might be difficult, after getting a test done (don't remember the name), it was established that I have 143 lbs of muscles, so I would be able to go lower than 170. I'm currently 222 lbs.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    forgot to say: it's all about how your body is and how you feel comfortable, when I was in highschool my healthy weight was 140 lbs and i kept it until getting into college.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11.5", and I currently am at 159. My highest I was 172, and freaked. My goal is 135, which may be stretching it because I am large framed [my wrist's circumference is 8"]. And I want to tone, which means I should go to the gym more often.

It has been hard for me to accept the higher numbers as "normal" because of my height, but I'm slowly getting there. :)
  • swimmindolphin
    Options
    5'11" and 175 is a good weight for me. I have a very athletic build so it fits me well. In high school i was a top Swimmer and model; i weighted about 140 or so, but that was just to small.
    I look back at my pictures and videos and think "holy crap i was too small! haha"
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my goal weight is 140 lbs. I was always a normal weight growing up and as an adult I hovered between 140-150 lbs until I got pregnant for the first time. I've had three kids now, and I weigh 176. I just want to be back to my normal weight. I know that at 150 I look slim but I feel pudgy in places, and at 140 I feel as thin as I should be. The lowest I've ever been is about 135 and that felt too skinny.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and I remember writing down that I weighed 150 when I was filling out paperwork for high school, I weighed 155-165 through high school and I was super athlete involved in 3 sports a year. 155 felt awesome and was what I weighed when I was in army basic training. I would love to get back down to that, but right now my goal is 165. I honestly think I would be thrilled with 175. I am right now 206 . . . but I know the last time I was 206 I did not have as much muscle on me as I do now, so we'll have to see what those numbers look like as I get down to that range.
  • pixie_lady
    Options
    im tall (5'8) but i carry all my weight on my bum so its hard to know what weight i should be..... :angry:
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    im tall (5'8) but i carry all my weight on my bum so its hard to know what weight i should be..... :angry:

Me too!! I'm 5ft 8 and when I was 140 I still had a 'curvy' booty and thighs!

I'm 158 now and a 'normal' BMI, but I have a really skinny torso and thin arms with a big fat bum and legs - so I think I would be the kind of person who would have to get into the 120s to be proportionate all over - either that or lipo! :laugh:

However, being as I've never been less than 140 in my adult life, just getting back to that weight is what I'm aiming for.