Merry Christmas! :smile:
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS))) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
  • MartyDiller
    MartyDiller Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you had a great day!
  • MandyGirly
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope you are all enjoying a fantastic holiday. I know we're not officially weighing-in this week but I just wanted to report that I lost 1 lb this week!!! I really expected to gain over Christmas (and who knows, maybe it will catch up with me next week...) but so far so good!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I weighed in this morning, 201.0lbs!!! Hopefully my last day in the 200s, or second to the last. (I weigh in daily).

Currently down 26.6lbs, 8.4lbs of baby weight left from this pregnancy, 22lbs from my second pregnancy, and then I'd like to lose another 18lbs down to 150lbs (I'm 5'10").
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been out of the loop, i'm in PA and net access is patchy at best. will be back in GA Jan 3rd and back on track. I really have derailed my diet and can't seem to get it back. people don't eat right up here and I'm sooo jonsing for a salad!!!
  • mcthomason
    Options
    I am not planning on weighing in Monday as if I do I might just shoot myself =0)

Seriously, I have probably been over on my calories 2 of the last 3 days, and don't want the discouragement of the scale. I will jump back on the diet and exercise wagon Monday and hopefully never see the results of 3 days of eating.

Wishing you all the best of luck,
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hope you all had a merry christmas!! :drinker:

Weighed myself this morning as part of my routine and ive lost 2lbs! Not bad for all the food going around at xmas but i just dont seem to have the same appitite as before so kept my portion sizes to my norm. Guess my stomach cant handle the amount of crap i used to put into it :laugh:

All the best to everyone! x
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas.

I weighed in this morning and I gained 1 pound. Not surprised, actually thought it would be more than that.

I'm looking forward to my New Year resolution this year because it will be the first time in forever it starts with going to loss weight. Because of all the mfp friends I have to support me I will not be focusing on this as a new resolution but something I'm already doing and will continue to do.

Happy New Year Everyone.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    This is where my crying begins!! I haven't weighed. I"M SCARED! My scale keeps looking at me like "come on you know you want to weigh". but I have just ignored it. I have slid backwards before and recovered. I will do it this time. It just makes the by June 1st goal even harder.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have stayed at 190 but I am so disappointed in myself...I have had several opportunities to workout but I have chosen to be LAZY....I need to get back into the swing of things and start kicking butt again!!!
  • firepro
    firepro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I guess I have to get serious. It looks like this article was written for me. This is a guy that I follow (and respect) I removed all of the links so that it wouldnt be considered advertising. This guy is great. His name is Dr Mirkin. He preaches healthy lifestyle and uses sceintific approach and scinetific studiesto health and not magic pill mumbo jumbo that is everywhere. My BMI is 39 so that means i have to lose 80 pounds.

Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine December 26, 2010 Happy Holidays!

BEING SLIGHTLY OVERWEIGHT SHORTENS LIFE
    A review of 19 studies covering 1.5 million people shows that being even a little bit overweight shortens your life and the heavier you are, the more likely you are to die of cancer and heart attacks (New England Journal of Medicine, December 2, 2010).
    Two-thirds of North American adults are overweight or obese.
    Doctors measure overweight with a Body-Mass Index (BMI)
    number: your weight in kilograms divided by the square of your height in meters. A normal BMI is 22.5 to 25. Having a BMI of 27.5 increases your chances of dying from a heart attack by 50 percent, and a BMI over 40 increases risk by more than 400 percent. Similar increases in BMI apply to death from cancers.

NO SUCH THING AS HEALTHY OVERWEIGHT MEN
    "There appears to be no such thing as metabolically healthy obesity," said Dr. Johan Arnlov, author of a 30-year follow up report of 1800 Swedish men showing that overweight middle-aged men are at increased risk for death and heart attacks, even if they do not have metabolic syndrome or diabetes (Circulation, January 19, 2010). Arnlov and his colleagues checked all the men for metabolic syndrome: high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high blood triglycerides (fats), low HDL ("good") cholesterol and a broad waist size (40 inches for men, 35 for women). Metabolic syndrome is the presence of three or more of these risk factors.
    Follow-up for 30 years showed that the risk of a heart attack was
    52 percent higher in overweight men without metabolic syndrome,
    74 percent higher in overweight men with metabolic syndrome,
    95 percent higher in obese men without metabolic syndrome and
    155 percent higher in obese men with metabolic syndrome.

REDUCING OVERWEIGHT A LITTLE PROLONGS LIFE
    Being overweight shortens lives because full fat cells produce immune cells that turn on your immunity to promote inflammation that causes diabetes, heart attacks, cancers, arthritis and other diseases. Losing as few as 10 pounds can reduce an over-active immune system to that of a thin person (The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, June 2010).

EXERCISE HELPS TO PREVENTS WEIGHT GAIN
    The average person spends a lifetime gaining weight and exercise helps to prevent weight gain with aging. Researchers measured BMI and waist circumference in more than 3,400 men and women and followed them for 20 years. The most-active men gained 5.7 pounds less than those least active, and the most-active women gained 13.5 pounds less than the least-active women (JAMA, December 15, 2010). Many other studies show that exercising regularly helps to protect even those who continue to be overweight.

Being even a little bit overweight shortens lives, and
    exercise helps to prevent weight gain with aging.

Reports from DrMirkin.com

Dear Dr. Mirkin: How can you tell if you have frostbite?

Frostbite means that your skin is frozen. You have
    plenty of warning before that happens. Your normal skin temperature
    is around 90 degrees. As your skin temperature starts to drop,
    blood vessels close and your skin turns white. When the temperature
    reaches 59 degrees, your body attempts to re-warm your skin by
    opening the blood vessels, causing your skin to tingle, itch, burn
    and turn red. When this happens, get out of the cold. If you don't,
    the blood vessels in your skin will close down again and your skin
    temperature can drop below 30 degrees and start to freeze.
    The most effective treatment for frostbite is to warm
    the skin in water set between 100 and 108 degrees Fahrenheit for at
    last 30 minutes (Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings,
    July 2010). This is painful, and allowing the temperature of the
    water to rise higher than that can destroy the skin, necessitating
    skin grafting.

Dear Dr. Mirkin: How can I get the most benefit from my
    daily walk?

Walking is one of the safest and most effective sports for
    fitness, but to become fit, you have to move fairly fast. You
    should exercise vigorously enough to increase your heart rate at
    least 20 beats a minute more than when you rest. Walking at a
    leisurely pace will not raise your heart rate very much. You can
    increase your speed by taking longer steps or by moving your feet
    at a faster rate.
    To lengthen your stride, swivel your hips so that you reach
    out further forward with your feet. This causes you to twist your
    body from side to side, which forces your toes to point to the
    outside when your feet touch the ground. By pointing your feet
    forward after your heel strikes the ground, you will gain a few
    inches. To move your feet at a faster rate, you have to move your
    arms at a faster rate also. Every time one leg moves forward, the
    arm on the same side moves back and the arm on the other side
    moves forward. For every step forward, there is an equal number
    of arm movements forward. To move your arms faster, you have
    to keep your elbows bent. The fulcrum of your arm swing is at your
    shoulder. The straighter your elbows, the longer your arms swing
    as a pendulum from your shoulder, reducing the frequency of arm
    swings. Bending your elbows shortens the swing and allows you to
    move faster.

Recipe of the Week:

Pink Beans and Brown Rice

You'll find lots of recipes and helpful tips in
    The Good Food Book
    http://
    ml ***********************************************

BACK ISSUES of the eZine from 2004-2010 are available at
    http://www.
    YOU ARE WELCOME TO COPY the e-Zine's contents for
    use in your own newsletter, company or club publication,
    BLOG or website. Please give proper credit and a link
    back to http://www.

The e-Zine is provided as a service. Dr.Mirkin's reports and
    opinions are for information only, and are not intended to
    diagnose or prescribe. For your specific diagnosis and
    treatment, consult your doctor or health care provider.
    For more information
    visit http://www.

We DO NOT sell, rent or give your e-mail address to anyone.
    Copyright 2010 The Sportsmedicine Institute, Inc.
    http://www

Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
    10901 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington MD 20895, USA
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Hit a 27lbs loss today!!! :smile:

Down 16.6lbs since this challenge started!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    This is where my crying begins!! I haven't weighed. I"M SCARED! My scale keeps looking at me like "come on you know you want to weigh". but I have just ignored it. I have slid backwards before and recovered. I will do it this time. It just makes the by June 1st goal even harder.

OMG i can so relate! mid-week, i stepped on and was UP four FOUR!!!!! pounds.. Yes, i know i didnt go over by 14000 calories, so some of it is water weight... still.... I was happy to not weigh in this morning. I got up determined to eat better and then my 6 year old wanted waffles with the new waffle maker. Damn. That thing should be for daddy to use only! I ate 2 1/2 waffles between breakfast and lunch. Fortunately only 1 Tbsp of real maple syrup, but eeeks not at all the greek yogurt and granola that i wanted. Its crazy because i didnt even WANT waffles. I just ate them because they were there, all steamy and fresh. Damn those things!!!!!

I have a 5k on saturday and for me, its a big one. Its the one i said i was going to remain RUNNING the WHOLE TIME. Not caring about time, because i know i will have to sacrifice speed to keep in running-mode. Yet i have some shin pain in my left leg and i am dreading the treadmill (bizzard outside) plus the waffles are sitting like cement blocks in my belly. God help me!

Argh!!!!
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all!!! I seem to have gone down to 156 which is a 1 lbs loss. I am a little surprised because with Christmas I barely worked out, maybe twice that week?? I dunno i didn't even bother logging anything in that week or the week before. I weighed myself last monday and was at a no loss/gain and didn't even email Billybed (sorry billybed). Plus I discovered Walmart makes AMAZING General taos chicken and ate that 2 night in a row wihtout working out.So to be at 156 is I would say FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! What makes me even more excited is that for the next 2 weeks I am on a Leslie Sansone 14 day challenge that I am determined to finsh. Also I have ordered Turbo Fire and it should be here at the end of the week, YAY!!!!! I am confident that I will start seeing better results in the next month. My biggest worry is food. I dont seem to make the best choices and sometimes I will get a craving that wont go away until I give in and indulge. Hopefully I wont go overbored.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have stayed at 190 but I am so disappointed in myself...I have had several opportunities to workout but I have chosen to be LAZY....I need to get back into the swing of things and start kicking butt again!!!

Don't be too hard on yourself...there are lots of us who have skipped workouts during the holiday season. And I know that I will have to work out at home right now because my gym will be packed with all the resolution people.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was super excited because I was down a pound this morning. I only worked out once last week and I have been allowing myself all the sugary treats. True I would have been happier with a bigger loss, but will gladly take my one pound loss!!! :happy:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of that scale. I'd dropped one pound just after last Monday's weigh in. By Saturday I was up 3 pounds but this morning the sale still showed the 1 pound loss from last week's weigh in so the three pounds were water, or waste or something else.

Weighing on Monday morning and Monday morning only is a much better practice than daily weighing and fretting!!!

This week is going to be a two pound loss week. Seems to be every other week.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    well...weighed in today...up another lb to 238.2 ...pretty disappointed but im almost 100% sure its sodium holding all this water in me...so thats ok...i did good this week and thats the only possible answer...so im REALLY pumping up the water this week and hoping for a 2+ loss next monday!