Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options
I'm on my third week of New Rules of Lifting for Women, so admittedly pretty new. But in that time I've seen zero other people at my YMCA doing dead lifts. Also the trainer seemed to think it was an odd request when I asked to be shown how. Is STL just weird?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do several different variations of dead lifts in my programming, and there are several people at my gym doing them as well. Not sure what happened, but some time in the last week, people (including a lot of women) have started lifting with proper form. There have always been the few guys doing partial squats (granted, they can be useful, but I never saw a parallel squat). Yesterday I saw a woman doing cleans and several other people squatting to parallel. It was rather refreshing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    People seem afraid to pick stuff up off the ground.

It's the number one way people seem to mess themselves up lifting stuff in real life because they're weak and unprepared. Fortunately for you, that box of crap in the basement isn't going throw your back out because it'll be easy for you with all your strength and good form.

Keep being awesome.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I always have hated them. I only now do them with a dumbell a single leg at a time. Never going to be my favorite and my rear/hamms arent suffering from not doing them.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks and never seen anyone dead lift. I've only seen 2 other people do free weight squats plus 3 others doing them using a squat machine. I've seen no one doing a standard press but all 4 bench press stations are normally full with the chesticle guys. I've only seen one other person do rows. If you lift free weights, you are kind of a freak in my fitness centre. Welcome to the freaks:happy:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

Yes, toasted ravioli is pretty damning evidence.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week of New Rules of Lifting for Women, so admittedly pretty new. But in that time I've seen zero other people at my YMCA doing dead lifts. Also the trainer seemed to think it was an odd request when I asked to be shown how. Is STL just weird?

I would think for some YMCA's it would be a weird request. The one in the town I'm from is tiny, and has a very small free weight room, so nobody really does any heavy lifting there. They just built a beautiful big gym at the one in my current town, and you will see some people do deadlifts, squats, and overhead press every once in a while but still not a ton.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

Toasted ravioli is the bomb! But we won't talk about provel "cheese".
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i got to a fairly busy gym, and theres 3 other people in my gym who deadlift, maybe 5 others who squat. even less who OHP

most people dont do compound lifts enough, lack of knowledge is the culprit i believe
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've only seen 2 people besides myself deadlift at my gym. But honestly, other than me and a couple other regulars, no one really squats, either. Most of the dudes there seem like they always skip leg day - giant pecs and biceps, tiny calves.

If you enjoy it, keep it up. Who cares if you're the only one doing it?
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I noticed it too. I only see one other girl on the weights side of the gym when I go in too. I was the only female doing DLs
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    That's funny....but now that I think of it, I seem to be the only one there I've noticed doing deadlifts.

Yeah, I haven't seen one person doing deadlifts when I am at the gym. Hmmmm, I wonder why?

I love deadlifts.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

WHAT?! Toasted ravioli is THE BUSINESS!!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 so yea, I deadlift.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

Toasted ravioli is the bomb! But we won't talk about provel "cheese".

Imo's uses provel...I'd gain 15 pounds back to have Imo's right now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts. Although I work out at home so the idea that some people might find doing deadlifts to be odd never occurred to me. Deadlifts are great. They work out so much of your body in one go.

ETA: that reminds me... today is deadlift day :drinker:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just started adding deadlift to my routine; my sister doesn't do them because she hurt herself using bad form in HS, and we lift together, so I never had time until now. I was feeling good about myself last week, working my way from my 95 lb warmup up to 2 x 175#, then some guy comes in and does sets of 8 x 495# superset with double unders. Talk about making me feel like a weakling, lol.

My gym (Anytime Fitness) is pretty small, but I am always impressed at the proportion of people, and the proportion of women specifically, who do Olympic lifts. I've never seen any other girls doing regular deadlift, but there are a lot of them who do stiff-legged deads, at least. Makes me happy :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    i got to a fairly busy gym, and theres 3 other people in my gym who deadlift, maybe 5 others who squat. even less who OHP

most people dont do compound lifts enough, lack of knowledge is the culprit i believe

I don't see many OHP's either. Lots of bench pressing, LOTS and guys with 45lb dumbbells doing flys and curls. Oh and the cable machine is really popular.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    ME!!!

And I feel the same way...no matter how busy the gym is, I've only ever had to wait for the power rack once. Everybody else is on a machine or a treadmill. Oh well.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Naw, I deadlift. Just cause everyone else at the gym are n00bs doesn't mean you should worry. Deadlifts are one of the main three full body lifts!