Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week of New Rules of Lifting for Women, so admittedly pretty new. But in that time I've seen zero other people at my YMCA doing dead lifts. Also the trainer seemed to think it was an odd request when I asked to be shown how. Is STL just weird?

DL are in the top 4 most important lifts ever.

I do them - those exercises that work so many muscles are such time savers.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    What the hell is STL?

I am assuming it's St. Louis...
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If it really is 20 minutes in between when they're coming back to the rack unload their weight and do your workout. It's all fine and dandy if someone wants to do a circuit but it's completely unreasonable for someone to expect to occupy 3-4 pieces of equipment for an extended period of time.
    [/quote]

Thanks, that was my thought, but I didn't want to be the newbie who didn't follow protocol. And yes, it's literally 20 minutes.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What the hell is STL?

I am assuming it's St. Louis...

Yes, St. Louis, sorry!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my gym does Deadlifts, and squats, and OHP, and the list goes on.

I'm the only one in my gym though!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are one of my favorite. So many injuries are due to not picking something up properly, it's kind of silly to leave it out.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    To be honest, I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks and never seen anyone dead lift. I've only seen 2 other people do free weight squats plus 3 others doing them using a squat machine. I've seen no one doing a standard press but all 4 bench press stations are normally full with the chesticle guys. I've only seen one other person do rows. If you lift free weights, you are kind of a freak in my fitness centre. Welcome to the freaks:happy:

This^^^^ everytime I go to use the squat rack it's always full!!! very annoying only seems to be open at 7am on sunday morning

There are quite a few people who use the squat rack at my Y. I try to go very early in the morning so I can use it. I've noticed that several load the bar up with a lot of weight then do some circuit that only brings them back about every 20 minutes. I wasn't sure of the etiquette of asking to work in when I'm using so much less weight. Suggestions?

I don't have any advice. I'm too shy to ask them if I can work in :/

If it really is 20 minutes in between when they're coming back to the rack unload their weight and do your workout. It's all fine and dandy if someone wants to do a circuit but it's completely unreasonable for someone to expect to occupy 3-4 pieces of equipment for an extended period of time.

^I do that - with circuit training and take up 3-6 pieces at a time.

:shrugs:

When someone is standing by something or acts like they need to use it, and I have my weight on it- I smile and tell them to have at it and go help them unrack it- and I just rework that piece back into my routine later in the workout.

If they confront me like a jerk about it, then I apologize for the inconvenience and still let them have it, and help them unrack it.

When I come across something similar and no one is around I simply unrack it all and use it. :bigsmile: and if someone is around I just say hey boss!
    'wut up'?
    'can I use this while your doing xyz?'
    'have at it'
    :drinker:

If someone ends up being a big jerk about it all though AFTER I helped them unrack it, then you better believe I will turn off the nice switch, and become so confrontational and over the top that they never bother to deal with me again. :smokin:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Everybody has back problems these days, from too many hours camped on the sofa or in front of a computer, and deadlifts are difficult. So, there's two excuses not to do them.

Thing is, if more people did deadlifts, they would find their back problems alleviated at least to some degree.

As for me, I do deadlift. A little bit. Sometimes. It has massively helped my posture, and a strong back is a solid foundation for basically every movement a human can perform.
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great place to work out (no wait for racks and barbells and such)!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    This made me think of a new version of "Do you even [dead]lift, bro?"

My husband and I both deadlift in our basement. I was getting burned out on it because the bar was KILLING my hands (I am on a keyboard for 8-12 hours a day and they were getting blistered and sore). I just bought lifting gloves, so I'm ready to get back to adding weight.
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with dead lifts, but I do them regularly. I consider them a very important staple of any lifting regimen. If I saw a training plan that didn't have dead lifts, I'd struggle to take it seriously.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I do! No one at my gym did, though. Everyone did the leg press including the "trainer" there. He would load up the leg press with obscene amounts of weight. Never seen him squat or dead though. There wasn't even a space to do them so I made my own. Felt like I was in the way. Made our own home gym with cage, bar and weights. Problem solved :smile:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

I've been deadliting with barbells and dumbbells since day one. IT IS ONLY TODAY that I looked up different deadlifts and saw a picture of someone using what you just called "the deadlift bar." I've seen that bar in the gym and had not a clue as to what it was for.....UNTIL TODAY.

SO, moral of story, you can deadlift without a deadlift bar. However, I CAN'T WAIT to use it the next time I go to the gym.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day is that one magical day when all of the planets align just so and I get to unleash my savagery on a barbell covered in blood, sweat and chalk :)

I love deadlifting

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"- Jan Paul Sigmarsson.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    OMG I dead lift!! I just did 100lbs with a hex bar just the other day...FYI if you're not wearing gloves they hurt your callouses horribly!!!!!!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

I've been deadliting with barbells and dumbbells since day one. IT IS ONLY TODAY that I looked up different deadlifts and saw a picture of someone using what you just called "the deadlift bar." I've seen that bar in the gym and had not a clue as to what it was for.....UNTIL TODAY.

SO, moral of story, you can deadlift without a deadlift bar. However, I CAN'T WAIT to use it the next time I go to the gym.

Are y'all talking about a deadlift bar or a trap bar? BIG difference.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Are y'all talking about a deadlift bar or a trap bar? BIG difference.
    I think they mean a hex bar
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Hell yes I deadlift. It's my favorite lift of all of them. And the one I care about where my numbers are.

If someone told me that for the rest of my life I could only do 1 lift, it would be deadlifts. No second thought.

:drinker:

same -that or squats.