Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I see a ton of people deadlifting at my gym. It seems like Wednesday is everyone's deadlift day.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    People are probably afraid of them and they are uncomfortable, plus they hit the muscles on your backside more. People tend to like exercises that hit muscles that they can see (e.g. arms and chest). I've been working out for years and rarely have seen people doing deadlifts. Although I do them and I know they are a great exercise I still don't like doing them.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's where you work out. My trainer has me doing deadlifts. Nothing odd about them at all. I keep hearing from people that they are a great exercise. Keep on keeping on....and be that fabulous weight lifting female that the others will look at and envy.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and have read NROLFW... In my gym (whilst I've been there) no one deadlifts but me. Never seen anyone else pendlay row either. About 5% of people using the squat rack do a full squat (butt parallel to knees). But no one in my gym even racks their weights so *shrug*

I LOVE DEADLIFTING
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym...

Most people are on that glamour muscle time : Chest, Bis, Shoulders... disregard everything else.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    People are probably afraid of them and they are uncomfortable, plus they hit the muscles on your backside more. People tend to like exercises that hit muscles that they can see (e.g. arms and chest). I've been working out for years and rarely have seen people doing deadlifts. Although I do them and I know they are a great exercise I still don't like doing them.

But...butts! Who doesn't want a nice butt?
  • Bridget65202
    Options
    I have never seen anyone else do deadlifts at my gym. Both genders tend to go for the cardio equipment and machines. Since I started doing HIIT with kettlebells, I occasionally see someone pick one up and mess around with it. It's just a little strip-mall gym with not a lot of amenities (an Anytime Fitness), but I can park there and walk to work, which helps me keep on track.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks and never seen anyone dead lift. I've only seen 2 other people do free weight squats plus 3 others doing them using a squat machine. I've seen no one doing a standard press but all 4 bench press stations are normally full with the chesticle guys. I've only seen one other person do rows. If you lift free weights, you are kind of a freak in my fitness centre. Welcome to the freaks:happy:

This^^^^ everytime I go to use the squat rack it's always full!!! very annoying only seems to be open at 7am on sunday morning
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

Yes, toasted ravioli is pretty damning evidence.

Toasted ravioli is the bomb! But we won't talk about provel "cheese".

Imo's uses provel...I'd gain 15 pounds back to have Imo's right now.

Where are you? I'd happily send you all of the Imo's in STL right now!
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options

I couldn't decide if this was supposed to be a joke, or they were serious.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

What the hell is going on behind the dude on the right at 1:30? :huh:
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I deadlift. I've seen people doing a variety of deadlifts as well as other compound exercises. I go to a gym with a very strong weight lifting component.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Jaysus, most of the women in my gym lift more than I do. (not saying much really)
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options
    To be honest, I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks and never seen anyone dead lift. I've only seen 2 other people do free weight squats plus 3 others doing them using a squat machine. I've seen no one doing a standard press but all 4 bench press stations are normally full with the chesticle guys. I've only seen one other person do rows. If you lift free weights, you are kind of a freak in my fitness centre. Welcome to the freaks:happy:

This^^^^ everytime I go to use the squat rack it's always full!!! very annoying only seems to be open at 7am on sunday morning

There are quite a few people who use the squat rack at my Y. I try to go very early in the morning so I can use it. I've noticed that several load the bar up with a lot of weight then do some circuit that only brings them back about every 20 minutes. I wasn't sure of the etiquette of asking to work in when I'm using so much less weight. Suggestions?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting is my favorite of all the exercises...

<----there's mine...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Squats are mine

Deadlifts a close second
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Several people at my Y deadlift and it's personally one of my favorite movements. I think it depends on location, as mine is near a university. Some of the other ones are full of people who are afraid of the noise. Do what you need to do.