Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are a great full-body compound lift. The only problem is that they require a lot of technique and if not properly executed can lead to back injuries. If possible, I recommend you deadlift with a Hex bar. it effectively distributes your load more on your legs and less on your back reducing the potential for injury. If you must use a barbell, I highly recommend that you have a trainer coach you on proper form. Or pick up a copy of starting strength and read it front to back. Good luck.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I usually arrange my workouts so that anything involving a squat rack/deadlift mat is done well outside of peak hours. This way I can avoid the maze of shaker bottles, mag/carb powder, and guys who sit on the safety bars bragging to eachother about how they workout so hard the **** themselves. Maybe there are more like me-people who roam the night looking for an empty gym. We're there, but you won't see us...

or maybe we aren't p*****s afraid to work out in front of other ppl.

:wink:

edit: for the record - I hate working out with other ppl as well.

^unless she looks scrumptious - then it motivates me to knock out an extra rep or 2 in each set.

(*.*)
    ^>>\
    / |
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

I've been deadliting with barbells and dumbbells since day one. IT IS ONLY TODAY that I looked up different deadlifts and saw a picture of someone using what you just called "the deadlift bar." I've seen that bar in the gym and had not a clue as to what it was for.....UNTIL TODAY.

SO, moral of story, you can deadlift without a deadlift bar. However, I CAN'T WAIT to use it the next time I go to the gym.

Are y'all talking about a deadlift bar or a trap bar? BIG difference.

It has a hole in it for your body.

:laugh:

I got a little chuckle out of that too haha
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I work out at a Lifetime Fitness. It has a huge free weight area, and people deadlift all the time. I see people doing compound lifts all the time too. One of the reasons I like this gym...

I saw your screen name and had to see where you were (no stalking I swear). Have you been to the new Metroflex gym in Plano? It is quite possibly the most bad *kitten* gym that has ever existed. There's no shortage of deadlifters there.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day is that one magical day when all of the planets align just so and I get to unleash my savagery on a barbell covered in blood, sweat and chalk :)

I love deadlifting

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"- Jan Paul Sigmarsson.

I'm starting to love deadlifts this much too. Today is deadlift day :drinker:
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm from STL and I loooooove deadlifts. I workout at home, which is probably why you've never seen me. BTW, hate IMOs and toasted ravioli.

Gooey butter cake perhaps?

Actually I make my own, better than anything you can get in a bakery.

You have my full attention!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

Pull one of the bars being used for bench press.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I like deads, they're my jam.

A good session of deads is like sex.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I love deadlifts, but you're doing sex wrong, IMHO.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You ask why you don't see anyone doing deads? It's because it's a real exercise that requires 110% effort. :) If only I didn't have a ruptured disk, it would be a staple in my routine. Only partials for me.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My YMCA but be difference. I am always fighting to get the rack for Squats and the floor spot for Deads. We have three different bars for it too (regular, Hex, and Super)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    It's my favorite day of the week. Only part I don't like is fighting to get one of the bars with decent knurling left on it
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I deadlift. I pulled 205lbs (1.63 x body weight; obviously, I'm a little proud of this) last week. I growled and scared some young guys. They weren't deadlifting.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I deadlift. I pulled 205lbs (1.63 x body weight; obviously, I'm a little proud of this) last week. I growled and scared some young guys. They weren't deadlifting.

Cheers on scaring the bros! :drinker:
  • dbmata
    Options

I love deadlifts, but you're doing sex wrong, IMHO.

It just means I'm doing my deads really right. If you aren't wet, spent, and sore afterwards... why even bother? (Both activities.)
  • stacked
    stacked Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I deadlift!
    Its my favorite lift as well.
    I also have 2 herniated discs so I have to be very careful but as long as I use proper form my back never gives me any problems. Deadlifts makes it better!

I now work out at home but I dont recall ever seeing people deadlift at previous gyms. Actually I remember always being amazed at the amount of people who fill up the machines.
    More free weights for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I work out at a Lifetime Fitness. It has a huge free weight area, and people deadlift all the time. I see people doing compound lifts all the time too. One of the reasons I like this gym...

I saw your screen name and had to see where you were (no stalking I swear). Have you been to the new Metroflex gym in Plano? It is quite possibly the most bad *kitten* gym that has ever existed. There's no shortage of deadlifters there.
    Plano is my hometown (jumping in the conversation), and there's an expanded metroflex gym here in Houston where I live now, but in a high traffic area. I keep contemplating switching, but I'm worried about traffic getting there after work, and I have to admit, their website is intimidating as hell. I don't want to be the one fat girl there...
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I honestly hadn't thought much of it until now, but the only ones I see deadlifting in my gym are the girls who come in and work with the regular guys. There aren't really any other female regs in the weights area, but sometimes one of the guys will bring a sister/girlfriend/etc and coach them through a workout. They ALWAYS have the girl with them doing DLs, but I've never seen any of them do a single one. Curious.
  • pchaney17
    pchaney17 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, I have learn to like them just because of their benefits to your body as a whole. Its not considered a favorite workout of most because if not done properly injuries can occur.