1200 Calorie a day diet. Can it be healthy?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Those are on 'undernutrition', which obviously exists. In years of asking, no one has come up with one thing that says eating under BMR is undernutrition or vlcd or any other dangerous situation.

I saw a couple abstracts talking directly about undernutrition as related to bmr. Nice try.

Listen, I understand, you have a bias, and you want to protect that so you feel correct. I do it all the time. I lash out at anyone that likes any of the new Final Fantasies. Thing is, and this is really a hoot... it doesn't mean your viewpoint is right. It just means you want it to be right. Much like my opinion of any FF after 10.
    Please share the abstracts that equate BMR to undernutrition in overweight people.

If there were threads all over saying that women will bulk from lifting heavy weights and you knew that was an old myth, would you just let them fly, left and right, or try to correct people? I don't have any agenda besides trying to challenge some of the myths here. I don't need to be right. I would be happy for you to be right because that would be easier. But there really is nothing that says that eating under BMR is dangerous or eating at 1200 is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I lead you to knowledge, I did most of the work for you, and you still can't be bothered to look? All you have to do is look through several pages of abstracts and read. I know, I know, it's "difficult".

Keep walking along then, cheers!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Where's your iron intake? You might find yourself getting sleepy!

ETA: I'd also recommend subbing whole grains - so when you eat rice, make sure it's brown rice. I read an article a few months ago that quoted studies showing that whole grains can help reduce the risk of some cancers (as can cucumbers :smile: ) - quinoa, whole wheat bread, couscous (I think?).

Do try to watch your other nutrient intakes:

Calcium (I didn't see much?)
    Iron (Red-ish meats - don't know if you can have these, but you might need supplements if not. But the body absorbs better from animal sources rather than plant based and supplements are plant based minerals - according to my doctor and phamasist since I'm being treated for low iron).
    Those were the obvious ones to me but I'm not fully aware of everything a man needs. Maybe talk to your doctor about a good recommendation for a multi-vitamin.

ETA2: I just wanted to say I find I can have quite a variety of food while averaging around 1200 cals (though that's not my goal any more). Even lean cuts of beef and pork (mmm tenderloin) fit nicely into a 1200 calorie goal. Lots of fruits and veggies but not many sauces. I do like to make sauces out of sour cream so that I can get some dairy in. Almond milk is an okay source of calcium too and the unsweetened kinds usually have only 35 - 40 cals per cup.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Seems a little low to me for an adult male...even one who is overweight.

I know we're all different and have our own unique circumstances, but I maintain on 2900 calories...and that's before exercise...and yes, I have a desk job. (If I ate 1200 daily, I'd lose a little over 3 pound/week...for a while...and then would lose less as my metabolism likely adjusted.)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I lead you to knowledge, I did most of the work for you, and you still can't be bothered to look? All you have to do is look through several pages of abstracts and read. I know, I know, it's "difficult".

I searched for BMR in the 10 articles on the first page of your google search on 'undernutrition' and it appeared in zero. Though none of those were applicable to this discussion, anyway. I saw articles about rats and hospitalized elderly and babies and all else.

There is nothing outside forums and blogs that says eating under BMR is dangerous.

I have a masters in information resources and teach research skills to college students. Reading isn't difficult but 'nice try'. :laugh:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I searched for BMR in the 10 articles on the first page of your google search on 'undernutrition' and it appeared in zero. Though none of those were applicable to this discussion, anyway. I saw articles about rats and hospitalized elderly and babies and all else.

There is nothing outside forums and blogs that says eating under BMR is dangerous.

I have a masters in information resources and teach research skills to college students. Reading isn't difficult but 'nice try'. :laugh:
    first off, someone with a master in information resources should be smart enough to realize that certain studies have just never been performed, and that there will just never be human trials in certain areas for obvious reasons. do you have a study that shows eating under BMR isnt dangerous? didnt think so

second, saying you have a masters online makes you sound a little pompous. also it proves nothing, i myself am a cowboy astronaut millionaire, and spend my weekends touring the backyard of my mansion on top of mount Kilimanjaro searching for the lost medallion of everlasting bullsh*t
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

first off, someone with a master in information resources should be smart enough to realize that certain studies have just never been performed, and that there will just never be human trials in certain areas for obvious reasons. do you have a study that shows eating under BMR isnt dangerous? didnt think so

second, saying you have a masters online makes you sound a little pompous. also it proves nothing, i myself am a cowboy astronaut millionaire, and spend my weekends touring the backyard of my mansion on top of mount Kilimanjaro searching for the lost medallion of everlasting bullsh*t

:laugh:

The first thing that I thought of when I read that.

8f8a1c66c5accc68625d8967e0b5e78b899cb7c57ee171174ed891de52284411.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Yep yep yep yep

A little thing called ethics stops them from doing studies on people eating under their BMI.

But hey - that just means that it's safe right?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and admit that I just read the first couple of posts of this thread, but to the OP:

I can tell you my personal experience. I am 6', 38 y/o male, and fluctuate between 180-190lbs at ~8-14% BF typically. I have experimented with periods of cutting calories by about 50% of TDEE which puts me at about 1250 calories/day. What I have found is that if I base my activity level and protein intake on Lyle McDonald's recommendations in his RFL book, that I can cut weight pretty quickly without losing muscle mass in measurable amounts.

So, is it safe? If done properly and for short periods of time it can be relatively safe
    Is it sustainable? no
    Is it going to screw up my metabolism? Not if you limit it to short periods of time

As for your food list, I would HOPE that you are eating a lot of fresh, green leafy veggies. They give you the fiber you need as well as many of the nutrients you need while on low calories. I go through about a head of lettuce a day when I do this.

Just my EXPERIENCE, although Lyle did quite a bit of research via literature studies.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    just to clarify, the key is SHORT PERIODS OF TIME

and a qualifier, I lost the 109+ lbs on my ticker by a small reasonable deficit over a long period of time. Not until I hit 10% BF did I even consider playing around with some of the weird stuff I do!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I know it proves nothing. That's why I don't glance at diaries or profile pics or tickers. It's all fiction here. But I'm accused of not being able to read, c'mon. :laugh:

They do studies on weight loss at levels way below BMR all the time. No one studies 'is it safe to eat below your BMR' for the same reason no one studies 'is it safe to eat standing up'. It's self-evident that it is because there is no reason to believe it isn't.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I know it proves nothing. That's why I don't glance at diaries or profile pics or tickers. It's all fiction here. But I'm accused of not being able to read, c'mon. :laugh:

They do studies on weight loss at levels way below BMR all the time. No one studies 'is it safe to eat below your BMR' for the same reason no one studies 'is it safe to eat standing up'. It's self-evident that it is because there is no reason to believe it isn't.

tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You were so close to special snowflake status until you mentioned you were under professional supervision. (hence the reason the, as you describe, "internet professionals" backed off.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

jennifer-lawrence.gif
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The reason that there are no studies that research the effect of a human eating below their BMR is because it's unethical to force people of healthy weights to eat below their BMR for any extended period of time, and it would not be approved for legitimate scientific peer-reviewed research.

Kinda the same reason you can't do scientific studies on the effects of smoking by pregnant women. It's unethical to do that kind of research in a peer-review, double-blind, control group kind of setting and would not be approved in the research community.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan. Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

Breakfast; 2 eggs, 2 toast, 1 Tbl margarine
    Lunch; 4 oz Tilapia, 2 cups steamed mixed veggies, 1/2 cup rice
    Dinner; 4 0z chicken breast, 2 cups steamed veggies, 1/2 cup pasta
    Snacks; 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup grapes Total Calories 1203

You can sub 4 oz of ground turkey for an additional 20 calories,
    sub 1/2 mashed potatoes or baked potatoes no additional calories.
    Steamed veggies can vary according to your taste except no peas or corn. Adjust calories according to types of veggies
    Peas and corn can sub for starch.

If it works for you bud, stop asking what other people think and do what you want... at the end of the day you're going to do what you want to anyways right? and it is your life right?

If you are actually concerned about it speak to your doctor as he is the only one outside of YOU that knows your current medical condition and wither or not it is healthy for YOU.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You were so close to special snowflake status until you mentioned you were under professional supervision. (hence the reason the, as you describe, "internet professionals" backed off.

MFP Plot twists. Gotta love 'em.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

links?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    OP why not bring up that you are on a medically prescribed diet due to cardiac problems at the start of your thread. You should know that what is applicable to you is not applicable to a healthy person. In general it's not a good idea for the majority but if you at a risk of a myocardial infarction then the faster you lose the more likely you are to stay alive (and yes when it comes to cardiac arrest I am an expert)
    My point is, so many people on is forum think they are experst, without knowing all the details. I decided to leave them out

Generally, those considered "true experts" on this site will ONLY provide input when they are given ALL details.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yes. A case of the classic 'undisclosed medical condition' after multiple posts and lots of butthurt.