pet peeves at the gym

Options
What are yours? Mine are:
Poor form. Something just irritates me about people who, like the the guy beside me on the stepmill today, lean all their weight, slumped over on the machine, head down and clearly cannot keep up that speed without being supported by the machine, but, even after advice by trainers walking by, still does it--wont slow the speed down.
The other one is the people who don't wipe down the machine. Eew
. Last on my list are the ones who come in and chat loudly on the cell phone whilst standing on a machine(but not working out) or the men/women who have their girl/boyfriend there and have to stop and chat or kiss every five seconds and don't work out. Either situation, somebody could be actively using that machine, but people get irritated waiting for it. What about you?

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    this guy :angry:
    weird-gym-machine-usage-what-are-you-doing-13894037644.gif
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    People that don't wipe down the machine. And people that DONT EVER SHOWER. Seriously it's gross. That's about all. Oh and guys that feel the need to comment when you're in the weights section.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    People who keeps looking at you in a funny way like they want to get competitve with you.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People who manage giving a damn about what others are doing if it doesn't affect their capacity to work out. Shut up and focus on yourself.

That and lack of sanitation/hygiene.
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    men that just blatantly stand watching me making strange homer simpson like noises or men in speedo's and thongs trying to get you to join them in the jacuzzi or sauna:noway:
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Whoa there horsey. Get a grip. All I'm getting from this page is Nag Nag Nag.
    Do you go to the gym to work out, or to just find more things to B***h about?
    As for the guy on the video using the one step on the step mill.
    The purpose is to get fit, and what he's doing will get him fit.
    So why is he on this complaints page?
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Not wiping down the machine and using the circuit machines out of sync, which DOES throw people off who are trying to do it with the timer. The rest of the time I mind my own business and don't care what the others are doing.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really bugs me is how some women don't flush the toilet after using it and just leave it for someone else to come along behind them and flush it.

Seriously. That's disgusting. Just flush it with your foot if you're a germphobe, but how completely uncivilized to just leave it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really bugs me is how some women don't flush the toilet after using it and just leave it for someone else to come along behind them and flush it.

Seriously. That's disgusting. Just flush it with your foot if you're a germphobe, but how completely uncivilized to just leave it.
    or leave their bloody tampon on the floor...
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know it has been said many times before but people who curl in the squat rack. The gym I go to has 2 squat racks. One was being used by someone who wasn't squatting, but was doing more Olympic style lifts, but the other was being used by 4 guys curling the bar. Having to wait for them to finish so that I could squat was very frustrating! UGH
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    <rant>
    I have a pet peeve and it does affect me so don't be telling me to mind my own work out as that is what I am trying to do.

My gym has three sections: one with treadmills etc, one with weights and another separate open section with the yoga mats skipping ropes etc. There is this one chick who for some unexplained reason likes to drag all the freaking equipment like the medicine balls, skipping ropes, yoga mats, those big *kitten* ball thingys from the section they are in to right in front of the dumbbell racks taking about about 3/4 of the length of the racks and then proceeds to do a cardio circuit. It makes it difficult to get to some of the dumbbells as her skipping rope is flying all over the place plus the fact that her little set up takes up as much space as about four or five benches. I haven't said anything yet but I am getting to my breaking point. The fact is there is a WHOLE other empty section where all this crap actually lives where she could do this without getting in the way. Why the **** is she bringing all that crap over to the weight section???. I can't understand her logic unless she wants to look at herself in the mirror, which she can't do half the time as she is on the floor being obscured by the dumbbell racks or she just wants dudes or girls or whatever to notice her. It ****s me off to no end and considering there is a designated section for that **** I don't get what the hell she is thinking. I would go talk to the trainers but there aren't any there at that time of the morning. It has happened every time I have been at the gym this week and I feel it is entirely inconsiderate to everyone else trying to lift weights.
    </rant>
    Also, I hate it when people don't rer-ack their weights. That is bull****.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    A class of 6 crabby old women (I would feel differently if they were sweet but they are vicious) in water aerobics that will pitch a fit if one lap lane is left up during their class.

This one guy who does not look that fit (he may be very smart sure) that will stop people when they are working out to tell them how to eat better or how to maximize their biceps. He always approaches people who look considerably more fit than him.

OPPOSITE of pet peeve: my favorite part of my day is the sweet lady that works the morning shift cleaning at the gym. She is so pleasant with her "good morning..I hope you have a great day" and she is freaking amazing at keeping the locker rooms really clean. I look forward to seeing her.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Whoa there horsey. Get a grip. All I'm getting from this page is Nag Nag Nag.
    Do you go to the gym to work out, or to just find more things to B***h about?
    As for the guy on the video using the one step on the step mill.
    The purpose is to get fit, and what he's doing will get him fit.
    So why is he on this complaints page?

tumblr_miby3yZnew1s1t1xuo1_400.gif
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

My gym's flush button is four feet up the wall. So many people cannot reach that with their foot or hand it seems. Ewwww
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I'm pretty much oblivious to most things except that it drives me nuts when people don't re-rack their weights. 1) How do I know if a squat rack is free if there are a bunch of plates loaded on it, and 2) should I really have to unload your 6 45# plates because you didn't do it?

Oh, and the guy who belched extremely loudly this morning between curl sets was slightly annoying, too. He didn't even say excuse me.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Please ...rack....your...weights ... 10lbs goes where they marked the thing with a "10lbs" sticker.

I'm not sure what makes me more sad, the lack of weight racking or the inability to match numbers. Is this a reflection on the deterioration of home teaching of manners AND our education system?
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Please ...rack....your...weights ... 10lbs goes where they marked the thing with a "10lbs" sticker.

I'm not sure what makes me more sad, the lack of weight racking or the inability to match numbers. Is this a reflection on the deterioration of home teaching of manners AND our education system?
    [/quote

This... a thousand times.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe the machines
    People who don't re-rack their weights
    People who make obnoxious sex noises
    People who clearly don't shower or use deodorant
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    RACK. YOUR. WEIGHTS.

I'm all of 5' 3" and just starting out. If I have to stack your four 45-lb plates before I begin my workout, it's seriously going to fatigue my arms and prevent me from starting my own lifts at optimal levels. YOUR RUDENESS IS AFFECTING MY WORKOUT!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but one of my friends' pet peeves is when she goes to the gym and does her workout and there are five or six women our age (30's) who sit on the equipment chatting in their workout gear and never do any exercise. Ever. She said they are not rude and will politely move when she is headed toward the machines or whatever...but it's just weird because they go every day and she's seen ONE of them use a treadmill ONCE in many months of gym attendance. To me it sound like they may as well be in a coffee shop or someone's living room.