pet peeves at the gym

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I have a story from a friend.

Every time she went to the gym's change room, there was this old lady who would sit on the bench and dry shave her pubes off, fully nude.

YUP SUPER AWKWARD. Old lady was eventually banned from the gym though.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    People who try to challenge themselves (like doing regular push ups instead of on their knees) when they can't do them properly at all.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you got to be naked in the locker room, be quick about putting back on your clothes.
    This!
    Sometimes it's like they're just standing there waiting for someone to glance over. Sigh
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a story from a friend.

Every time she went to the gym's change room, there was this old lady who would sit on the bench and dry shave her pubes off, fully nude.

YUP SUPER AWKWARD. Old lady was eventually banned from the gym though.

tumblr_megqdsLEpM1qbrrny.gif
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Guys who wear very strong cologne/body spray to the gym. Can't say I've noticed a woman do it yet, but there are multiple men, including a trainer who is there all the time.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Women that seem like they over did it on the perfume. It's funny seeing the looks I get when I turn their way and plug my nose. Suppose it could be a "very" strong body wash.

People talking on cellphones when doing cardio on various machines. Is it a makes me feel important thing?
  • jimmyn6
    jimmyn6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In college, i worked at the fitness center, re-racking weights is the biggest thing. cuz when we lock the doors, it's us who has to put everything back. You think with all the signs, these folks can read and put their stuff but. But nope.

I workout at work, which now happens to be a major university, so the wellness center is nice, more stocked than my 24hr fitness and it's neat. Nothing bothers me too much. When I'm the gym, most people seem rather courteous and polite, no matter where I am. If they see you standing near a machine, they ask first to see if you're using it. No one laughs or points at anyone, no starring, it's a place most people just go to get work done.

I have a pet peeve with people who don't put in more noticeable effort. That seems very judgmental, so yeah I'm a bad person, but when I am going every morning at 6am during summer at a college gym, it's only regulars. I see the same people. I see the big person, bigger than me, sweating it off, putting in that effort. Then I see the people, who go get a towel from towel people, get on the recline bike and not break a sweat. Or any cardio equipment for that matter. I give them a benefit of a doubt, they could be injury, recovering, but when i see it repeated i'm just like 'why did you wake up this early, and spend only 20 minutes and not get anything out of it?' I think the thing that really throws me off is getting the towel... why?! lol... yeah that's silly sorry guys.

my other pet peeve is broken or out of order equipment...
    another is when you follow the rules, or you broke the rule or something and a staff person tells you or gets on to you, but then lets someone else slide or getaway with it. lol
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Standing directly in front of free weights even leaning on railing to do what ever. Leaving towel and or water bottle at bench/ machine but their nowhere in site.Already mentioned but that one weird super fast guy that grabs a weight swings out like 3 reps then runs off and does something else then back swinging something again like a friggen ninja on crack.( no offense to real ninjas or crackheads)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Wipe your sweat.

Re-rack your ****.

Don't get preoccupied with other people when your **** isn't on point.
  • jmattingly01
    jmattingly01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The old wrinkly guy in the shower that won't stop staring at me as he lathers wayyyy too much soap on himself. The whole time.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    What are yours? Mine are:
    Poor form. Something just irritates me about people who, like the the guy beside me on the stepmill today, lean all their weight, slumped over on the machine, head down and clearly cannot keep up that speed without being supported by the machine, but, even after advice by trainers walking by, still does it--wont slow the speed down.
    The other one is the people who don't wipe down the machine. Eew
    . Last on my list are the ones who come in and chat loudly on the cell phone whilst standing on a machine(but not working out) or the men/women who have their girl/boyfriend there and have to stop and chat or kiss every five seconds and don't work out. Either situation, somebody could be actively using that machine, but people get irritated waiting for it. What about you?

Untitled-3.jpg
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The people who jack up the incline on the treadmill and then hang on for dear life.
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    I gave up the gym membership years ago. Way too many pet peeves to list. Working out at home is where it's at. No lines, no crappy music, no annoying people, no fees, open 24/7.

The biggest pet peeve I always had were the "bros" who have that "train or die" type moronic mindset. It's fine to be dedicated to improving your physical health but this hardcore attitude (outside of guys who actually compete in power-lifting or are competitive bodybuilders, strongman competitors, etc.) that these gym rats have is nauseating. It's obvious they have some type of inferiority complex that they have to mask by trying to be the most "bad *kitten*" lifter in the gym by acting like they just scored the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl after each heavy set of bench presses, squats (which they never do below parallel), etc. They also tend to use cheat movements so they can add on way more weight than they could actually lift with strict form. Cheat movements aren't bad in and of themselves if used for a purpose, but if you are doing it with everything then an injury is just waiting down the road.

If that isn't annoying enough they will sometimes jump over to spot you (a total stranger) when you don't need it and yell at you to get just one more rep in, regardless if you are lifting for strength and not going to failure or hypertrophy and going to failure. If you accept their help and grind out that last rep (which was pretty much them keeping the bar from crushing you), they will typically say "Nice one bro." Sorry my friend I am not one of the "bros", my identity isn't centered around my 1rm bench press and the number of generic tattoos I have all over my arms. I'm not against guys trying to be manly, hell, I grew up when Arnold, Stallone and the rest were in their prime as iconic action figures, but taking it to this phony extreme is a joke.

I could list a bunch more but it would be a veeeery long post.
  • derik999
    Options
    People that don't wipe down the machine. And people that DONT EVER SHOWER. Seriously it's gross. That's about all. Oh and guys that feel the need to comment when you're in the weights section.

The one that is worse is the guys that never shower and throw on gallons of cheap cologne as if it's a substitute for cleanliness. Nothing like doing a set of some lift and this guy comes strolling by and you get hit with a smell that makes your eyes water.
  • derik999
    Options
    I know it has been said many times before but people who curl in the squat rack. The gym I go to has 2 squat racks. One was being used by someone who wasn't squatting, but was doing more Olympic style lifts, but the other was being used by 4 guys curling the bar. Having to wait for them to finish so that I could squat was very frustrating! UGH

The no curling in the squat rack is an unwritten rule much like the no playing smoke on the water or eruption rule at music stores. It pretty much stamps you as a complete douche.
  • derik999
    Options
    There is a guy at the gym who uses the weight machines, and he yells sooo loudly when he does it. It's the strangest sounding yell too. I just want to be like, dude, for the amount of pain you should like you're in, you should at least be doing free weights to be getting something out of that pain!

Seriously, he is so loud and sounds so odd... Especially on the leg extension machine. I always know when he is working out lol

There was a guy at one gym I went to during college that made the most annoying sounds while squatting and doing leg presses. It was this weird combination of an orgasm, moaning in pain and grunting. Most of the time you'd look over your shoulder to see WTF was going on or you'd start laughing and your current set was toast.
  • derik999
    Options
    The old wrinkly guy in the shower that won't stop staring at me as he lathers wayyyy too much soap on himself. The whole time.

Communal showers filled with wrinkled old geezers is not a pretty site. I started going to the gym with my parents when I was in elementary school to use the pool. Being in the locker room as a young kid was a bizarre experience. Whoever invented communal showers was one hell of a perv.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been watching this thread thinking I really don't have any pet peeves at the gym. A few things I shake my head at and chuckle about -

- People who ONLY do cardio - if you are only going to do 1 thing at the gym, lift weights, it's so much better for you and if you do higher reps and shorter rest you can turn your lifting session into a cario workout

- People who BOUNCE on the elliptical - you're not supposed to bounce. Aside from your arms, your upper body should not move up and down vertically. It's all about the legs and arms.

Then today I realized I did have a pet peeve, but it's not about other people.

I try to do as much as I can with free weights, including major compound exercises. When I'm doing them, I can't stand to have my plates (at any weight) not match. No big deal with the smaller weights, but I hate having to sift through the 45 lbs plates to find the ones that match and aren't from different generations :wink:
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    People who try to challenge themselves (like doing regular push ups instead of on their knees) when they can't do them properly at all.

Maybe you should politely ask them if they want help. If someone asked me that, I'd be embarrassed but I would accept the help.

PS, my pet peeves are people just sitting/standing on machines not working out or only working out half asked when the gym is really full. This is why I mostly get my exercise from classes!