pet peeves at the gym

Options

Replies

• dgoupil66
    dgoupil66 Posts: 17
    Options
    Not wiping down machines is the big one. Or, using the same piece of paper towel to wipe machines but not spray them down.

Bad form. See it all the time. Why bother?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Little skinny dweebs that try to give me advice on anything.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not optional for me, my right side can always outdo my left and towards the end of my set sometimes the left elbow will begin to weaken and cannot push the bar up at the same rate as the right side, so my bar starts to angle a bit and I worry about plates sliding off.

and this is the reason why you don't use clips. It's kind of a self correcting thing. Learn to bench evenly and you don't worry about it.
    you use clips when you bench???

I use clips with all barbell lifts, is this wrong?

no it isn't wrong- I mean clips are there for a reason- but you do not NEED them typically. They shouldn't hold up a work out.

I only use mine 100% of the time for dead lifts- because the plates do not fit super tight to teh bar- so they lean and wobble without the clips (they still lean and wobble but it's just a lot less lean and wobbly)

squats OHP and bench- clips are totally optional LOL

What about on the smith machine?

You absolutely MUST use them on the smitch machine- for ALL lifts.

(god I love people who put clips on the smith machine)
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The people who jack up the incline on the treadmill and then hang on for dear life.

Pet peeve or entertainment? ;) hahaha
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I have my own full home gym - and well worth the investment. No lines, no waiting, no germ-infested sweat...no smelly people...play my own music, use my own bathroom...it's freakin' heaven!

+1. My pet peeves usually include dogs looking at me funny, cats waiting and watching until I've fiddled with the DVD player and TV and am all set to start and THEN wanting out, and a guinea pig who makes a lot of noise at 5 am asking for his breakfast carrot.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    New one, today. Classes that think it's OK to interrupt your workout because they just finished theirs and (I guess) want to get back to the lockers in record time.

Had a bunch of seniors finish up a class they were doing in the middle of the indoor track, turn as one like a school of fish, and stroll straight across the track while chatting up a storm - and directly in front of me while I'm running. One stride, and I was surrounded! I had to actually stop and dodge several times to avoid knocking one of them down. I'm kind of surprised I didn't hurt myself. My knees aren't fans of sudden sideways movements.

It was like being in a really slow-moving stampede. Totally bizarre.
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    I must have the greatest gym ever... I haven't really run into any of these situations (except maybe the loud grunting noises, but hey, I make those when necessary, too). My gym is affiliated with a hospital and the membership is pretty expensive... maybe more money to be there influences how nice you try to keep the place.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    This thread is why I have my own full home gym - and well worth the investment. No lines, no waiting, no germ-infested sweat...no smelly people...play my own music, use my own bathroom...it's freakin' heaven!

Let's be honest, most of the things people whine about probably don't come up that much and aren't that big of a deal. The only equipment I ever have any real trouble getting on is the squat rack, and that's only if I go to my gym's location that only has one rack. The one I go to weekends has three. Sweat? Meh, I whipe down but I never check if anyone else does. It's just sweat and it won't kill you. Smelly people? Meh, it's a gym. Everyone stinks. I've never encountered anyone that really really really stinks. The bathrooms at my gym are fine and the music is, well, tuned out. Who cares what the gym plays? Bring your own.

I don't know, in every one of these threads there are a lot of folks complaining about people not re-racking weights or wiping down machines. Those seem to be the biggest two. Makes me think it probably happens a lot, maybe just not at your gym. <shrugs> And it only takes one weird person staring or prancing around nekkid to make me REALLY glad I have a home gym.
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    My home treadmill peeve? My 55 pound pit bull thinks it's his treadmill because he does walk on it some -- my first 5 or 10 minutes on the treadmill include straddling him as I try to walk or constant kicking motions off to the side trying to keep him from jumping back on.
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe down the machines when they finish using them...disgusting. Or who just leave the weights lying around everywhere.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    People that leave random 45# plates everywhere. At some point I actually have to go on an easter egg hunt to find the dang plates. It drives me nuts.

People that use the dumbbell rack as a shelf for their towel and water bottle. I don't want to touch your damp towel to get my dumbbells! ACK!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

+1. My pet peeves usually include dogs looking at me funny, cats waiting and watching until I've fiddled with the DVD player and TV and am all set to start and THEN wanting out, and a guinea pig who makes a lot of noise at 5 am asking for his breakfast carrot.

^^^lmao! SAME!!...my puppy always flops on top of me when I'm doing my stretching and foam-rolling routine. Tough to take...
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    My home treadmill peeve? My 55 pound pit bull thinks it's his treadmill because he does walk on it some -- my first 5 or 10 minutes on the treadmill include straddling him as I try to walk or constant kicking motions off to the side trying to keep him from jumping back on.

My treadmill is in my garage because I have no room in my house for it. When I walk in the evenings and its hot my boxer-mix purebread mutt likes to come in, give me a look that clearly says "WTH??", huffs and walks away. I'm really glad my dogs don't try to use the treadmill, lol, especially with me. The smaller one might but I would easily trip over him.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Let's be honest, most of the things people whine about probably don't come up that much and aren't that big of a deal. The only equipment I ever have any real trouble getting on is the squat rack, and that's only if I go to my gym's location that only has one rack. The one I go to weekends has three. Sweat? Meh, I whipe down but I never check if anyone else does. It's just sweat and it won't kill you. Smelly people? Meh, it's a gym. Everyone stinks. I've never encountered anyone that really really really stinks. The bathrooms at my gym are fine and the music is, well, tuned out. Who cares what the gym plays? Bring your own.

I don't know, in every one of these threads there are a lot of folks complaining about people not re-racking weights or wiping down machines. Those seem to be the biggest two. Makes me think it probably happens a lot, maybe just not at your gym. <shrugs> And it only takes one weird person staring or prancing around nekkid to make me REALLY glad I have a home gym.

YEP, I've been training for over 30 years now and I've done both. Home gym is far superior, as long as you can afford equipment that meets your training needs. And I have everything I need. :-))
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I don't give a care what's going on around me, but when someone comes in smelling really strongly of cigarettes or perfume and gets right next to me while I'm running on the treadmill it activates my allergies and asthma and I can't keep my pace. I usually have to move so I don't start coughing and wheezing. Gross! :smokin:

Also, the other day this guy walked by (he was probably at least 3 or 4 feet away from me) and a horrible stench blew past. It smelled like filthy butt crack. My involuntary gag reflex was very nearly activated. Thankfully, he didn't stick around. Please, people. Basic hygiene.

Thankfully, things like this are a rare occurrence at my gym. But when they happen, it's memorable. :sick:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So far no peeve's in the gym but there are a bunch of people who chat the entire time we are doing our water aerobics and face each other in a big circle, which takes up unnecessary space in the pool.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

^^^lmao! SAME!!...my puppy always flops on top of me when I'm doing my stretching and foam-rolling routine. Tough to take...

My terrior-mix knows when I get the yoga mat out and will come sit next to me until I'm done and when I ask "Did you do your yoga today?" promptly does the downward facing dog. Cracks me up every time.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Guys who wear very strong cologne/body spray to the gym. Can't say I've noticed a woman do it yet, but there are multiple men, including a trainer who is there all the time.

This.

I can't stand strong cologne/body spray in the gym.